Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Camber Correction

Your axle dosen't seem the be modified. I would look for a '35-6 axle. There was one on the Fordbarn awhile back for $100.

Ron

Your axle dosen't seem the be modified. I would look for a '35-6 axle. There was one on the Fordbarn awhile back for $100.

Ron

I was really hoping to avoid buying a whole new front axle. With my luck I'll have to replace EVERYTHING just to get it bolted in.
:wall:
I suppose finding Lincoln spindles is as easy as finding an honest politician.

Judging from the pictures a different axle should be a bolt in. Everything I find says the only difference between the Lincoln and Ford is the king pin inclination and possibly the length. You might have to shorten the tie rod though.

Ron

NW, told ya Youngster could give ya the correct answers, besides the axle might be less $$$$ than the spindles....Good luck.............Ron

Judging from the pictures a different axle should be a bolt in. Everything I find says the only difference between the Lincoln and Ford is the king pin inclination and possibly the length. You might have to shorten the tie rod though.

Ron
I've looked around at different style axles and they all have wider spring mountings than mine.
I still think having a wedge-shaped spacer that fits between the spindle and the caliper bracket would work to correct the wheel camber. I'm sure it won't be cheap, but might be cheaper than a new axle and spring setup.

I've looked around at different style axles and they all have wider spring mountings than mine.
I still think having a wedge-shaped spacer that fits between the spindle and the caliper bracket would work to correct the wheel camber. I'm sure it won't be cheap, but might be cheaper than a new axle and spring setup.

Safety would be what I would be thinking putting a shim in there that thick,

Forgive my misunderstanding your plans but... how would this work? The spindle and the king pin boss are "one".
A wedge between the spindle and the caliper bracket would take the brakes out of 90degrees with the spindle.
Or correct my thinking, please.

I might have misled you a bit. Any Ford axle from '32 to '36 will work. For that matter a Model A axle will work but it dosen't have the "smile" your current axle has. The '37 to '40 axle is wider between the wishbone holes and the '41 to '48 is wider yet. The '32 to '36 axle isn't that hard to find. Go to fordbarn.com and look for one. You can also post a wanted add there. I've had very good luck finding parts there.

Ron

Forgive my misunderstanding your plans but... how would this work? The spindle and the king pin boss are "one".
A wedge between the spindle and the caliper bracket would take the brakes out of 90degrees with the spindle.
Or correct my thinking, please.

You are correct, I had to look at it again and realized the shim would only bring the caliper bracket out of alignment with the rotor. It wouldn't correct the spindle angle.
Thanks for pointing that out.

Steve

I might have misled you a bit. Any Ford axle from '32 to '36 will work. For that matter a Model A axle will work but it dosen't have the "smile" your current axle has. The '37 to '40 axle is wider between the wishbone holes and the '41 to '48 is wider yet. The '32 to '36 axle isn't that hard to find. Go to fordbarn.com and look for one. You can also post a wanted add there. I've had very good luck finding parts there.

Ron

My axle measures approximately 51" across the top of the king pins (center to center), and 37 ¼" at the spring perches.
All the '32 axles I have found (so far) measure 47" across the king pins, and 34" at the spirng perches. A narrower axle could work, but I would need to modify a few items to get the steering to turn all the way. But I would have to buy a new spring asm for this to "bolt in".

It's been my experience you very seldom only change one part. it usually leads to others.

Ron

My axle measures approximately 51" across the top of the king pins (center to center), and 37 ¼" at the spring perches.
All the '32 axles I have found (so far) measure 47" across the king pins, and 34" at the spirng perches. A narrower axle could work, but I would need to modify a few items to get the steering to turn all the way. But I would have to buy a new spring asm for this to "bolt in".
NW, You may want to consider having Ron Pope bend you a new axle, He could probably match your current measurements but with the correct king pin inclination.........just something to think about......Ron

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back