Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Can some post a picture of....

Swampdog

... a Chevy Small Block with a short water pump Alternator mounting. I have a Vega steering box. I am putting on an electric fan and I only have about 3/4 of inch with the fan tie rapped to the radiator. I made a beautiful shroud but can't use it with the long pump. I have a chrome short pump but I am lost on how to mount the alternator.

There are several different ways to mount the alternator.

Here is one type of low mount.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Small-Block-Chevy-Low-Mount-Alternator-Bracket-Plain,3447.html

Here is one type of high mount.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Small-Block-Chevy-Black-Alternator-Bracket,74448.html

There are several versions in several different materials of the brackets I linked to. A lot of different manufacturers make something along these lines. Some mount off of the water pump and don't require any holes in the heads.

On the stock engines, a bracket usually bolted to the exhaust manifold.

You will also need new harmonic balancer and water pump pulleys for a short pump.

If you have the large balancer, the low mount probably won't work. I tried it on my engine, and it was a no go deal. I ended up just making my own top mount.
Lee

Don't know who made the bracket on mine; it's probably a commercial offering, but this is about 10 years old. The balancer is 6.5". Not sure I know if this is the long or short pump:

p141933745.jpg

p12221010.jpg

p502166795.jpg

Jack

Swampdog, I have a short water pump and a Vega box on my car and I used a setup from Speedway. The part number is 916-67906 for $46.99. Below are some pictures of it on my car.

I hope that this helps.

Jim

Thanks all.

First I am going to make a couple of Z angles and see if I can set my shroud forward, before I jump off the cliff again.

Thanks all.

First I am going to make a couple of Z angles and see if I can set my shroud forward, before I jump off the cliff again.

I had to recess the fan shroud forward 5/8 " with Z angle. After touch up I am finally done. I installed some poly-urethane mounts. They are really high quality.

Swampdog

Attachments

• Electric Fan long water pump.jpg
    Electric Fan long water pump.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 50
  • Z angle resest fan.jpg
    Z angle resest fan.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 49

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back