Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Chevy C20 Steering box

while on the subject is it safe to assume the speedway corvair boxes are made in china? i really want to keep "made in china" to a minimum and certainly not for anything i'll trust my life to. i've read on the internets people complaining about "cheap" steering boxes being junk.

in any event i really appreciate all the input. if i happen to disagree on anything understand i still value all sincere opinions. again, i'm looking for relatively inexpensive and this c20 box even after rebuilding would be cheaper than more readily available options. but clearly i've more learnin and scrounging to do.

Yah know, Ron sells Corvair boxes. $250 and you get the pitman arm. Oh.... he reverses them himself. I wouldn't get one from anyone else. IMO, that C20 steering box would look like crap on a T Bucket. It's kinda big for such a small car.

Opps....... looks like the price dropped to $199. You'll have ask Ron about the pitman arm, but I'm sure it's also very reasonable.

while on the subject is it safe to assume the speedway corvair boxes are made in china? i really want to keep "made in china" to a minimum and certainly not for anything i'll trust my life to. i've read on the internets people complaining about "cheap" steering boxes being junk.

in any event i really appreciate all the input. if i happen to disagree on anything understand i still value all sincere opinions. again, i'm looking for relatively inexpensive and this c20 box even after rebuilding would be cheaper than more readily available options. but clearly i've more learnin and scrounging to do.
If you are alive , in some way or other, you are depending on something made off shore....just a fact, jack!

If you are alive , in some way or other, you are depending on something made off shore....just a fact, jack!

if it's not electronics there's almost always an alternative to buying from china. most people just can't be bothered to look. heck, even with electric bicycle and car conversions there are american-made alternatives.

They are steel , made offshore , the EPA has made it nearly impossible for a foundry to operate PROFITABLY....

i reached out to rpm and they were super quick with a reply... and on a weekend too. kudos to them.

they admit their corvair boxes are sourced from china resulting from the legit problem of finding suitable and cheap enough oem cores drying up. chances are they are not made from pepsi cans however. :)

i contacted borgeson and asked about them about any necessity to reverse the c-series box. they sell them new (cheaper than american-made corvair boxes) so i figured they would know and will update if i learn anything.

as for the size of the chevy c-serices box i will better be able to determine that for my self once the box is out. i know the chinese thing isn't an issue with some but it is for me. and clearly options like buying a used corvair box, rebuilding and reversing my self is one option. vw bus boxes are pretty stiff in price as are many other traditional options (f-series fords) and i'm not sure i like the look of using an early mustang box.

oops. to clarify i did not ask them about reversing the c-series box but merely asked if they saw any reason i could not re-orientate the box for side steer. upon learning when "reversing was it seemed clear to me the truck box would not need the modification. learning every day!

A much better choice is a Vega box. It can be used in either cross steer or traditional steering set up. They do not need to be reversed, ready to bolt on. We have them in stock for just $135.00

man that's a tempting proposition- heck of a good price. funny you should mention the versatility of the vega box too as i had just recently read as much, i will keep it in mind, however the china thing is still a sticking point for me generally-speaking. it's not just a matter of quality, has nothing to do with president trump, and has quite a bit to do with supporting communism and horribly human rights violations. merely a personal choice fwiw.

on the other hand i have a soviet-era firearm so that seems a bit of a contradiction. i'm complicated! :rolleyes:

A much better choice is a Vega box. It can be used in either cross steer or traditional steering set up. They do not need to be reversed, ready to bolt on. We have them in stock for just $135.00

i see you also have a nifty frame bracket to go with. what do you suggest for a pitman arm?

i received a reply from borgeson as they make saginaw boxes now (they bought the patterns) and asked if i could simply pivot the box for side steer and their reply was a simple 'no'. no explanation which i tend to find suspicious whenever anyone does that but that certainly impacts my interest in this option.

i might press them for an elaboration rather than a five word response if for no other reason than to please my curiosity but i'll continue looking at other low cost options.

i received a reply from borgeson as they make saginaw boxes now (they bought the patterns) and asked if i could simply pivot the box for side steer and their reply was a simple 'no'. no explanation which i tend to find suspicious whenever anyone does that but that certainly impacts my interest in this option.

i might press them for an elaboration rather than a five word response if for no other reason than to please my curiosity but i'll continue looking at other low cost options.
Saginaw has made steering boxes for a bunch of different apps. Which one does borgeson make?

I built the last 2 chassis using the CCR plans, the first one I reversed a corvair box, the second one was a manual mid 80's mazda pickup.
I worked as an engineer at Ford.The supplier sent a pallet of Mercury power steering boxes to the truck plant everything fit but it surprised when the guy driving the new trucks off the line, It went left and almost took out the seat build up area. A lot of box castings are the same just different internals.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back