Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Color Change...

engine24355

Hello to all and happy new year. I have been thinking about this for a while and really considering it now. I would like to change the color of my bucket to a flat black with retro flames possibly. The color now is a ford silver and would like to just paint the fiberglass parts (bed, body, grill shell) and leave the frame silver etc.

My first question is can this be done by an average person. I have been told flat black is easy to spray, but not sure about prepping. I was told that I could spray over the current paint with little prep (scuffing etc.), but just not sure if I believe that. Obviously, I want to do this right so seeking advice from the paint experts out there. Below is an older pic of my bucket (pre interior change etc.).

http://www.server7.com/images/tbucket/b547.jpg

The other thought I had was to start over with a new body from TP with top and seat insert. Since I would be taking everyting out of and off of the body to paint, may be a good idea to start fresh.

Too many things I want to do and too little time. What do the experts think?

Thats a fine looking car you have.WHY change the paint?If anthing i would highlite the edges of the car or flame it.NOT change the car.

it's your buggy but it's way to nice to shoot it flat black, i agree on the flames over the silver, that would look really nice, but then again it's not mine and you have to be happy with it. do what you would choose and good luck. chaz

I think flat black would be a good choice if you were trying to hide a rough finish or dings in the body but your car looks great. I agree with the others, I think flames and either highlighted edges or some pin striping on the silver would really pop.

Thanks for the advice guys. Based on your responses, how hard would it to be to lay some flames down over the silver? Again, what type of prep would be involved (just scuffing or more). I love flames and draw them on everythin...lol. I thought of doing maybe some pin stripe flames (red) or laying out some simple retro style in a solid color, but again, was not sure about prepping the base coat etc. Thanks for the help!

Be sure whatever you put on is compatable with what is there now or you put some sealer on it to keep it from killing itself! I like flat black and flames!

Here's a website (Auto body and car paint tips, techniques, and information) that may give you some of the answers you need. I didn't see anything that related directly to flames but there are several technical papers covering many areas of paint and body work and they have a forum.

The Eastwood Company (http://eastwood.com) sells a crepe masking product (part# 11233) that can be drawn on, cut and laid on the body for painting flames and other graphics. A 10" x 150' roll is $29.99. Eastwood can be a little pricey but they carry most of the stuff you need. I use them as a resource for product ideas sometimes and then search for other companies that might sell the same/similar product a little cheaper.

engine24355 said:
Thanks for the advice guys. Based on your responses, how hard would it to be to lay some flames down over the silver? Again, what type of prep would be involved (just scuffing or more). I love flames and draw them on everythin...lol. I thought of doing maybe some pin stripe flames (red) or laying out some simple retro style in a solid color, but again, was not sure about prepping the base coat etc. Thanks for the help!

---------------

That silver is tits! Dont lose it...just punch it up a little. We're at the end of the flat black craze. The old diehard that did it before it was popular, will continue to do it, but now a lot of people are using base/clear with a flattening agent in the clear to make a flat or semigloss color palette. The old way to do it is put a piece of paper (they sell stick on paper called 'Sticky Mickys') on the car and draw your design on the paper, take the paper off when youre satisfied, and trace the outline of the paper with a pounce wheel, put the paper BACK on and pat the paper with a chalk bag...it will leave an outline of chalk on the car. Take the paper off, flip[ it over and tape it on the other side of the car, chalkbag it. Sketch in any missing parts on the car with a stabilo (water soluable) pencil. this is of course after you scuff the car and wipe it with wax and grease remover.

me, I like dark sort of metallic 'burple' (blue-ish purple) on silver. I saw a silver chevelle with a hand done pinstripe in that color...tits

I also dont like flames that look like crab claws...I like longer, thinner flame licks.

I hang out on autobody101 as well, there are some amazing airbrush guys there...ask questions and they'll fix you up if you dont get the answers here in the depth that you need

Nate

TheAntiBoyd said:
---------------
We're at the end of the flat black craze. The old diehard that did it before it was popular, will continue to do it, but now a lot of people are using base/clear with a flattening agent in the clear to make a flat or semigloss color palette.

I agree with that. Satin black is played out. Actually it was as soon as it got popular. If you like the color, then definately do it. But if you are just wanting to do it because it is popular. Don't.

engine24355 said:
Based on your responses, how hard would it to be to lay some flames down over the silver? Again, what type of prep would be involved (just scuffing or more).

With the silver base, candy flames would be an easy choice. Silver makes an excellent base for candies, and modern urethane candies are easy to spray and do fades with. It should be as simple as masking off the flame design, scuffing the area with a fine scoth brite, spraying an intermediate clear (like clear base coat) for the sealer. Then the flame color. Then clear over that. and unmask. Get a pro pinstripper to stripe next to the edge. That will finish off the flames, and kill the paint edge. And it won't require disassembling the whole car.

Leave it silver and add the real fire flames. Your car has a modern flavor to it, don't give it old school flames.

Tough decision, isn't it? I agree that your T looks great, but I also understand that sometimes we need to change things just for the sake of freshening up the car every so often.

I'm going to paint my 27 probably in satin black when I redo it, but I have to admit that the flat or satin black thing is getting maybe a little overdone lately. Of course, this is coming from a guy who still loves red wheels. :welcome: I just think on that particular car it will give me the look I want. Maybe that is the key to your car, what is the look you are after? If you really think you would like it better painted that way, go for it.

Now, as far as for painting your own flames, I think that is a different story. I have seen very few home sprayed flame jobs that look good IMO. The usually come out like someone had too much time on their hands and a couple of cans of spray paint they had no good use for. To get them to flow right and look good takes someone who has been doing them for a while. The good looking ones have several blended colors across the flames and are pinstriped around the flames in some complimenting color, usually blue. I have seen lots of cars where the guy would have been better off leaving them off because of the way they ended up looking.

There are some things better left to pros, and I think paint is one of them. I can do single color paint jobs ok, but would never attempt anything fancy simply because so much can go wrong. Just my opinion.

Don

Imho, Your ride looks great and I would leave it alone. Or just do some small stuff like adding some ghost flames, or pin stripes.

Thanks again for all of the advice guys and compliments. I need to get some current pics up to get your opinions of the changes I have made thus far. I just cannot stop thinking of "what if I changed this". I am sure you all know that feeling well. After all, a hot rod is never truly finished...at least until you run out of money...lol. Anyway, sounds like I need to think about this change further before I decide on anything. The style I have is kind of a modern look mixed with a little retro (wheels etc.). I have to be very careful with crossing the modern or retro line too far or I will loose a good balance. I think I will just focus on some smaller changes while I ponder the color change further (what I have been doing anyway). I appreciate all of your help!

Just do it your way. Your question will get fifty different answers from 50 different people. Some of their ideas will be good and some will not. The fact that you own a T indicates to me that you have good taste so whichever direction you go will be the right one. When I got tired of how mine was I sold it. I'm wishing now that I had just changed it.

It's your ride and you need to do what you need to do, but if I'm seeing it right you have just orenge and silver. It is absolutly neeto the way it is, I'll trade you an empty Spirit body strait across and throw in some junk, LOL, but if I wanted to spurce it up for the sake of change, I'd find a pinstriper and lay wheel orenge pinstripe flames and dutch the tailgate.
HA, now you have an amature opinion to go with the pros!
Mike in ep

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back