Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

connecting rods

Brucer

i ordered a set of rods from speedway last week.. the set i ordered were the 5140 claimer rods.. from the picture in the book they looked like a set of stock rods with arp rod bolts for $149.95 for a set..

heres what i recieved, i thought they were pretty nice rods for $149.95 , the name on the box says Pro-Comp Motorsports on it..

couldnt find any info on them, i guess they could be chinese rods.. i hope not..

Just be sure to check them for size. Even if they need honed, you still have a decent rod for a great price.

It's amazing how inexpensive a decent set of rods can be these days. Every now and then we'll see some of them come through a couple tenths tight, but that can be honed out in a heartbeat.

Here's another warning for everyone. If you are noticing aftermarket crankshaft prices are attractive, always be sure to check the Brand E cranks. They always look like the best price deal going, but we've found 8 out of every 10 need to be turned to get them round. Adding the price of a grind to a new crank suddenly doesn't make it so cheap any more.

I bought a set of rods a few years ago that looked like those, problem I ran into was not quite enough metal on the big end to get the reciprocating assembly balanced. Hope you have better luck than I did.

I bought some roller rockers that were the Pro Comp Brand. Some time later i needed to replace 1 because a faulty push rod ate one.
In the process I found that Pro Comp is a brand from Australia. They do a lot of knock-offs of quality brand stuff. I have bought a number of components from them without a problem.
By the way, they sent me a replacement rocker for $12.00.

Brucer said:
i ordered a set of rods from speedway last week.. the set i ordered were the 5140 claimer rods.. from the picture in the book they looked like a set of stock rods with arp rod bolts for $149.95 for a set..

heres what i recieved, i thought they were pretty nice rods for $149.95 , the name on the box says Pro-Comp Motorsports on it..

Photoman said:
Howdy Bob,

Most of the Aussie stuff is Chinese. Beware.

Hey Photoman. How are you?

I have roller Rockers, a fluifdamper clone that is SFI rated, A gear drive for my cam.
All this stuff is made in Australia (so far anyway and I have3 had nothing but good things to say about their customer service. Since Hot Rod Parts from the best names fail all the time, it seems that the company with fast parts and a great customer service department wins every time.

Photoman said:
Howdy Bob,

Most of the Aussie stuff is Chinese. Beware.

Renegade started early buying cranks and other parts forged in china with the fine machining here. everything I have heard on these parts has been good.

I have purchased several "Professional Products" over the years. when they first came out, they were AWFUL. Now, I wouldnt hesitate to put an intake manifold or damper from them on my car. I wont buy "Brand-E" or "Cat" cranks. But come to think of it, I wouldnt build another 350, for the same price I could have a 383; throw on some finned valve covers and a 327/350hp aircleaner sticker on it and a small cap distributor (or one of those fake magnetos) and no one would be the wiser

TheAntiBoyd said:
I have purchased several "Professional Products" over the years. when they first came out, they were AWFUL. Now, I wouldnt hesitate to put an intake manifold or damper from them on my car.
We've had pretty good luck with their 90000 series dampers for an inexpensive piece. The 80000 series? :eek: Those things are scary!

Mike said:
We've had pretty good luck with their 90000 series dampers for an inexpensive piece. The 80000 series? :eek: Those things are scary!

Funny thing about the chinese...give them long enough and they'll create a pretty good carbon copy. Vic Jr is pissed about Professional Products, but there are things he could do to lower his pricepoint on the Performer/RPM/AIRGAP that everyone has. Ive got no shame about the PP manifold that I ground the name off of and painted chevy orange with my friends AFB on top in his 65 nova. A chunk of cast aluminum is a chunk of cast aluminum. I have a 9000 series damper on my firebird as we speak and love it

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back