Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

CS130 Alternator mount, Right side.

Hackerbilt

Thought I'd make a thread on refitting my 454 T with a more powerful Alternator.

Last year I started to notice some bearing noise from an idler pulley on my engine.
This pulley turned out to be pretty much impossible to replace for a sensible price so I decided to upgrade the Alternator and remount to the right side.
By relocating it I could do away with the need for an idler pulley completely. I didn't like how low the old one was anyway.

2014-06-21 18.01.33a.jpg

The CS130 replaces an older style alternator with the simple jump wire modification to make it into a 1 wire system. With the lights and fan on it held 12.6v. Room for improvement.
I found that the CS could fit on a single bolt into the head and cut the top off a bolt that worked to make test fitting the components much easier. Slide on...slide off.
Everything justttt fit and lined up. Got lucky!

2016-01-25 20.16.28a.jpg

Next I made a triangular bracket to stabilize the alternator to the two water pump bolts.
I replaced the water pump bolts with studs and torqued the pump tight. The bracket then goes over the torqued nuts and is retained by additional nuts.

2016-01-25 20.17.05a.jpg

2016-01-26 21.49.34a.jpg

To support the alternator and space it properly I added a tube spacer between the head and the alternator bolt boss.
I'm missing a pic or two here...but basicly I then added a flat steel wrap to the back of the alternator, welded to the spacer and using the two bolt locations on the other side of the Alternator for strength. To that strap I added a slotted adjustment arm.
The Slotted arm adjusts off one of the "truck mount" holes in the lower front of the block.

2016-02-06 20.07.08a.jpg

2016-02-06 20.21.05a.jpg

I hooked up the wiring as detailed on the "Pirate offroad message board" by member "Billavista".
Works great....with 14.3v showing when the car is driven with lights and fan both running.
The lights are much brighter now.
Like driving a modern car!

Gotta love it! :D

That's some great thinking. Looks good and it works. Can't beat that.

Thanks Fred!
Oddly I didn't have any driving issues with the lower voltage alternator.
At just 12.6v you would figure she would be iffy on keeping the battery up but she wasn't.
I mostly did the change just for the pulley issue and the low clearance....but when I used the headlights for the first time... WOW!

Thanks Fred!
Oddly I didn't have any driving issues with the lower voltage alternator.
At just 12.6v you would figure she would be iffy on keeping the battery up but she wasn't.
I mostly did the change just for the pulley issue and the low clearance....but when I used the headlights for the first time... WOW!
If you use relays and feed the relays direct from the battery to light the headlights, and use the headlight switched wires to activate the relays, it makes a big difference on how bright they are.

If you use relays and feed the relays direct from the battery to light the headlights, and use the headlight switched wires to activate the relays, it makes a big difference on how bright they are.

Absolutely! That's already done on mine.

Thinking about it...adding relays to headlight wiring would increase the actual voltage to the headlight by perhaps 1 to 1.5v...depending on how much resistance is in the headlight wiring.
This Alternator swap had pretty much the exact same improvement! :D

Nice. I haven't found any right side low or mid mounts for a SBC that are this well made.

VERY nicely done.

Jim

Thanks guys! Much appreciated. :D

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back