Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Door Hinges

jimbo01

Do any of you use model A door Hinges In your T's? Is there an advantage other then price? In the end would the T hinges look better?

I have Wescott 26-31 Roadster hinges on my '27. They are individual (2 per side), but I ended up welding a strap on each side to connect them much like an early T hinge. I'd Stick with a T hinge--you can still find them cheap on fleabay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-PAIR-MODE...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item23194c3448
I've been looking at the budget hinges for awhile now and I just couldn't get over the price. I found an ad like the one you posted of the same style hinge and remembered Youngster's door pictures with them being used. What would be a good price for a set? I see someone selling them for 15 per hinge or I could roll the dice and get sucked into an auction.

$15 or so on ebay, $5 or so at swap meets. I usually have some on hand but I'm down to 1 now. That's for one hinge.

Ron

Ok, thank you everyone for your help. Looks like I'm going to be looking for if not bidding on some T hinges this week.

I picked up some hinges on Ebay and they should be here in a few days. I thought I read in one of the threads that the top of the hinge should be 1 3/4 inch from the top of the door. Is this correct?

The hinges came in today. My question now is, how far are they supposed to stick out past the body? Looks like the bottom will be about 1 1/4. Does this sound right?

Jimbo would you mind taking pics and posting them as you do your doors/hinges. I would like to get an idea of what's involved. I'm too fat and short legged... Doors are a requirement...

Thanks

Mike

There where 2 styls of hinges. Most have a longer leg on the bottom, 7 screws per side, ( so the door swings out parallel to the ground) . The other has equal legs, 5 screws per side.

Ron

Before you cut , bear in mind the hinge PINS must be in near perfect alignment in order to work w/out binding!

dave

The bottom one should stick out further that the top one.

Ron

Ron, is there any good reason for us to use one or the other (triangle or retangle style) hinge with our fiberglass bodies?

The bottom one should stick out further that the top one.

Ron
Ron,
I used the triangle style hinge and if I use it the way it is, it will stick out past the body somewhere between 1 1/4 - 1 1/2. Is this correct as it looks kind of goofy to me?

IMG_0501.jpg
IMG_0505.jpg
IMG_0502.jpg
IMG_0508.jpg
IMG_0533.jpg

I do not have the picture thing down yet, The above pictures are how I installed the Model T hinge on a TP body. I mounted the hinge on the 3/4 inch poplar before I cut out the door and drilled holes in the body for the hinge to pass thru after a lot of eye balling for the best look on the out side of the body. The mounting side of the hinge was trimmed at an angle to pull the bottom hinge in closer to the body. Kitty hair was used to level up the body on the inside before mounting the hinge assy to the body. After the body filler set up the door opening was cut out. I can not express enough the body has to be bolted to the frame before cutting the opening. The measurements ended being , top of hing 3 3/4 inches below top of body, the top hinge is 7/8" from the body surface and the bottom 1 5/8" .

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back