Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Electric cutouts

der Spieler

I just watched Gearz on Speed. Stacy David is building a 60s-style deuce roadster with T roadster-style pipes. He had Sanderson make these with a outlet on the side of the long collector to bolt the exhaust system to exit under the car. He then installed an electric cutout to the flange at the end flange and capped that with a turnout. The idea is to run with them open when you can and then when the cops come close them up with the push of a button and it's all quiet again. My kind of idea................Steve

der Spieler said:
I just watched Gearz on Speed. Stacy David is building a 60s-style deuce roadster with T roadster-style pipes. He had Sanderson make these with a outlet on the side of the long collector to bolt the exhaust system to exit under the car. He then installed an electric cutout to the flange at the end flange and capped that with a turnout. The idea is to run with them open when you can and then when the cops come close them up with the push of a button and it's all quiet again. My kind of idea................Steve

Loud Pipes save lives.

I figure if the Harleys can run straight pipes and not be bothered by the cops, then my 20" side pipes with 7" mufflers shouldn't be a problem. I have heard and seen a few HOGS that were louder than my T. Plus there's alot more room under a Deuce than there is under a T-bucket.

I have a set of Sanderson's on my bucket and the only times I've ever been stopped by the police was when they wanted to take a closer look at it.
85c6_3.jpg

The side pipes on the deuce ran along side the frame rail. To get the exhaust and the turnout motor to run under the car he had to C the frame. There's probably not enough height in a T frame rail to do that. I had exhaust running under my T and had no clearance problems. I had Sanderson Limefire headers. I ran the exhaust under the frame before the firewall and then bent the pipes to tuck in at about frame height to the back. I finished them off with Supertraps that ended just past and under the rear axle housing. Worked great. I had plenty of ground clearance where the pipe ran under the frame from the headers and I had enough clearance with the floor that I didn't have any heat issues. The car didn't sit as high as most Ts but it wasn't too low. I will have to go with roadester headers on my next on because it will be a lot lower.

Kevin "Hi-Tec-T" Seward of the Kansas City club runs air-actuated cut-outs on his very nice bucket.

Link to some pix of his T here... Untitled 1

Funny how Stacey refers to that deuce as the "Rat Roadster." Ain't nuthin' ratty about that car at all... Brookville steel body, new fabbed chassis, custom-built shiny blower motor, high dollar wheels. Oh, it does have a little rust on the radiator shell... guess that's the "rat" part. :welcome:

Here are a few pictures of the air cutouts that Lee was talking about. I saw the this car at the nationals. It is a very nice bucket!

10.jpg
21.jpg
78.jpg
77.jpg

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back