Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

ELECTRIC vs FLEX FAN ????

As far as the temps go I guess I am semi correct. I said 180-190 but I meant 195* which I am sure you guys know what I mean. I see a lot of people putting in 160* thermostats and I have just never seen the point in it. I run 195* in my vehicles and most new vehicles run that and higher. Like I said, there's a certain point where an engine can run too hot but it can also run too cold and most people dont realize it.

Ideally you want your engine to reach a temp that will produce an oil temp hot enough to boil off any condensation. This is why newer cars run at higher temps. Lubrication technology has come a long way since the 50s when engines commonly had oil coolers as the oil would turn to tar at anything above about 150 degrees.
Another thing that people commonly overlook while trying to cool an engine is the carburetor. a lean A/F mixture will cause an engine to run hot.
As far as fans go I like electrics. Try taking your flex fan off once, bolt the pulley back on and go for a short drive. Not only will you get rid of that annoying airplane sound but you will probably notice an improvement in throttle response too.

All the car and boat manufacturers are running their engines at higher temps nowadays to help with emissions. I know my engine runs too cool at 150-160 and am going to bump up my thermostat to a 180. I did the 160 one because here in Florida I have never had a hot rod that ran cool, they all crept up at lights, this one is kind of strange, but maybe it is because this is the first small block Chevy I've run.

So yes, you guys are right, an engine that runs too cool doesn't burn fuel correctly which can contaminate the oil, speed up wear, etc.

Don

I have to question running NO Thermostat .....You really need to shut the flow of water OFF in order to give it some time in the radiator for a cooling cycle...
I like the 195* Stats, the engines should run ok there, unless you have bumped up the compression to over 10.5:1 and you are experiencing spark rattle or detonation...
I think if I were you "Vegas-T", I would first build a quick and easy fan shroud, get the fan spaced as close to the core as you dare and put a shroud around the fan to pull in all availble air.Make sure the shroud seals off the core around the outside, or it really won't help much. Just a tin ring around the fan won't do ya any good. See if that helps...
"BH"

I still think the 2 gallons of coolant is not very much. A 350 chevy and the hoses is about a gallon which leaves only one gallon or less in the radiator. The radiator would have to be near 100% efficent. There isn't a heat exchanger made thats that good. To hold only one gallon it would have to be very small or have a plugged core. Like I said before mine is a 350 and in total it holds 3 1/2 gallons, 75 % more coolant than yours.

It very thin, (like 2.5 inches) and measures 17.5 wide and 21 high. I do have a shroud but the outer part of the shroud is not blocked off and the bottom 7 inches if the shroud is open. (the shroud is not a complete circle) I think I will start by completing the shroud and blocking off the outer part of the shroud. Thanks for the help guys. Any way to check and see if a core is clogged aside from removal?

I went out and checked mine, measures the same as yours. Mine is an Alum Radiator and is new right out of the box. I know for sure my system holds 3.5 gallons, I had to drain it the first time because of a waterpump leak. Try a radiator shop, they might have a test they can do. Are you the guy that found some white stuff flooting in the coolant, That could possibly be Bars Leak, I don't think it is Red Seal thats a different color. To much Bars Leak can plug up a cooling system. As it cools in the Radiator it will stick to the core tubes and plug them. My guess you are about 50 or 60 Percent plugged. A shop maybe able to Rot it out, but I wouldn't hold my breath, it would be a long shot. :sad:

Duke,
Thanks for the info, I think I am going to pull it out and have it checked since its going to be over 100 degrees pretty soon I will be linited to night time driving anyway. I am also looking for a fan and complete shroud.

Let us know what you find out, a car that overheats sucks, I know been there done that. You get to where you hate to stop for a light. Have you noticed it always happens when there is a hot chick in a cool car right next to you :sad: of course there is always the cool chicks in hot cars :welcome:

I was going to hold off until after the 28th (theres a local meet and greet) but I think Ill pull it out and just order an aluminum radiator and a polished shroud. Would be a good time to switch to an electric fan from my flex fan. Its going to be to hot to ride except at night anyway, and I need to replace my intake gasket (small leak). One last question, I have a 180 stat, should I have the fan just run all the time? or come on at say 160?
Thanks for the help guys......

I think that will fix your problem, as for fan I have thermostat controls on some orther cars I have done, but found the only real advantage was the fan would shut off when going at hwy speed on 70 days. This time on my bucket I am just going to have the fan come on with the Key. Be sure to use a relay for the fan, the fan can back feed your electrical system if it shuts off and continues to spin in the wind. An induction motor becomes a generater under those conditions and a relay will isolate it if that happens. Here is some more reasons I am sure you have a plugged rad. With less volume in the system the volicity of the coolent goes up because the pump volume didn't change. This gives less contact time in the Radiator withthe core, so it will not remove the heat from the coolant. To make to volume smaller in a radiator that is in use you have to plug off some core passes. So now you have less contact time, but also less surface area to remove heat. When you reach the point that you can't remove as much BTU's as you put in, you go into thermal runaway and boil over. Note: It takes 1 British Thermal Unit (BTU) to raise the temperture of 1 cubic foot of water 1 C. Good Luck and stay Cool.

OOPs, Sorry about the rant, I get carryed away sometimes :eek:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back