Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Engine paint

ford4ever

Hi guys! hae a question for all of you. What type of engine paint are you using?
I hda a color picked out for the chassis and block. The place I by paint from, said
it would not work for the block, it gets to hotand would peel and flake off. I want
to do this right, but the hi temp paints I've found, I don't like! how do you get other
colors other then red,black,grey??

I would love to hear your feedback. Before I make a mistake!

Thanks,

Mark

Well, theres a bunch of our guys that smooth the blocks, then paint the motors to match. Looks cool, has the show car look when finished, and they don't complain about the paint coming off. Me, I usually paint everything black, with diff. textures, w/ stainless or chrome touches sometimes.
All the guys with the paint knowdledge will be by shortly and get ya straightened out....

What I did was clean the engine, mask off what I did not want painted, And just painted it. Been 5 years -so far so good.

I used epoxy primer on the block and transmission the painted with the same paint as used on the the frame.
worked out very well no peeling or bubling --

Mark; preparation is key. I clean the surfaces at least a couple times then 2 coats of primer, then topcoat. If you have access to a heat lamp or two it helps to bake the paint on. If the motor is till disassembled find an old electric oven and bake everything you can fit in it. I did an engine in the mid 80's this way and it lasted until the machine shop cleaned it last year for another rebuild. Hope this helps.

See your discussion on engine paint. Does anybody have a wide range of info on eng paint? I have several companies and would like to get some opinions on these paints. The companies I have heard about from some of the shops are; Eastwood, Duplicolor, VHT, POR 15, Hirsch and Seymour. I have heard a lot about Hirsch eng paints but seems there are a lot of steps in their process. I used VHT years ago and it is just OK. I would really like to hear some input from users with engines painted 5+ years ago.

Well, from what all the guys here say, its all in the prep, then its execution....some of these guys are running good looking motors that haven't been painted in many years and they still look great!
Do a search, I remember the guys getting in depth last year or the year before about it all....

The engine in my coupe is painted with the same Dupont Chromabase (acrylic urethane) paint and Five-star urethane clear that I used on the wheels and firewall. It's been this way since I built the engine in 1995. It has darkened some around the center exhaust ports on both heads, but otherwise is fine. I have also used Acrylic Enamel with a catalyst in the past and it held up OK, too. I don't recommend Lacquer; it tends to crack and chip easily.:rolleyes:

For preparation I scrub the engine 3 or 4 times with Gunk engine cleaner and a variety of wire brushes. Pay special attention to little nooks and crannies that hold grease or road grime. Then I scrub it with dish washing soap in scalding hot water and blow it dry with a blow gun and about 90 psi. Next I spray it with enamel thinner or wax & grease remover until it runs off; then blow it dry again. Now it's finally ready to prime and paint with the automotive primer and paint of your choice. Here's a pic of my roadster engine right after painting with Dupont Chromabase and Five-Star high build clear. Notice all the openings are taped shut.:thumbsup:

DCP03071a.JPG

See your discussion on engine paint. Does anybody have a wide range of info on eng paint? I have several companies and would like to get some opinions on these paints. The companies I have heard about from some of the shops are; Eastwood, Duplicolor, VHT, POR 15, Hirsch and Seymour. I have heard a lot about Hirsch eng paints but seems there are a lot of steps in their process. I used VHT years ago and it is just OK. I would really like to hear some input from users with engines painted 5+ years ago.

I use One Shot sign painters enamel. It is what is used by a lot of guys doing pinstripes. The engine in my T has been done since 2004 and looks as good today as the day it was done. I use it on all my rides. As a mater of fact, I used it on one when it was new and when I got rid of it after over 65,000 miles it still looked great.

Jim

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back