Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Engine Tilt

The Hustler

I'm looking to buy a bucket on ebay, and I don't like the way the Chevy 350 engine is tilted backward in the frame. I like it to be parallel to the frame rails. Is there any way I could change this if I bought this car? And buy the way, this forum and all you guys are great!

I think most of the guys would want to see a side view of the car in question, many have their engines sitting level with the ground, as it takes a longer wheel base to keep it level with the frame, when sitting on a rake... Low in front... Spacers can be used under the trans mount, and the front can maybe be lowered, but!!! Be very careful not to get the engine oil pan to low...

The short answer is yes . Most hot rod frames have a rake of approximately 15* the engine is usually set level with a net 3* down on the drive shaft. The pinion angel is set 3* up. These numbers are "in general" area. More info and pictures would be a great help in answering your question.

The short answer is yes . Most hot rod frames have a rake of approximately 15* the engine is usually set level with a net 3* down on the drive shaft. The pinion angel is set 3* up. These numbers are "in general" area. More info and pictures would be a great help in answering your question.

Another thing to consider is what does the trans tunnel look like inside the car? Looks to me like that car is sitting pretty high but it may just be me. The reason I ask is what would you like to do? Drop the front of the engine down or lift the rear and transmission up? Is this the car you're looking at on ebay?

Engine looks ok to me. Park car on a level surface remove carb place level on intake motor should be level both side to side and front to back.

Yeah, it's the one for sale on ebay in Las Vegas. I have been looking at hundreds of pictures of t buckets for the last couple of months as I plan to either build from a kit or buy one I can afford. For some reason, something just doesn't look right to me in this picture. It looks like the engine is too small for the chassis! Maybe it's because it does not have the usual headers most buckets have. I sure wish I could see this thing in person. Maybe it's just camera angle or something! But I would like to see the front of the engine lowered. Can new mounts be welded lower on the frame to do this, or would that be too much trouble.

I know what you mean about something in that car is just disproportionate somehow. Maybe it is that it sits too high, or not raked enough, but something needs changed.

To me the engine angle and size is ok, it is what it is. A couple of carbs on top of the motor would give it some height and the front end could be lower and out further IMO. For comparision, here is my Son's bucket with a sbf engine on about the same tilt.

Don

donstatshow-1.jpg

Here is the picture.

You can ask the seller for more pics. A true side view, front, rear and interior shots if he doesn't have them posted already (he can e-mail them without adding extra pics in E-Bay).

Thanks for replies guys, and Don, your sons bucket is really sharp! There are more pictures on ebay and some of them look more natural.

Hey guys call me crazy... but common sence tells me the engine to diff. should be parallel to level ground.

So did you buy it?

Other options could include taller rear tyres, or, if there isnt one there already, look at a dropped front axle. Both of those options will alter the rake, thereby leaving the engine "flatter" without having to alter the trans mount or the trans tunnel.

My motor is close to level in my frame but my body just about touches the top of my transmission (I need to raise it up slightly). Watch the oil pan and the bottom of the cab for clearance. Also keep in mind the pipe angle (I built a T last year that had a huge motor angle and the pipes were pretty close to the ground).

Be sure there is enough room to adjust the rear radius rods to the new pinion angle. If the car is already set up and is a good driver, I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks for replies guys, and Don, your sons bucket is really sharp! There are more pictures on ebay and some of them look more natural.
The main reason that car looks odd is the camera angle. However IMHO the rear wheels are too close to the tub. Move 'em back 10", get a bit more wheelbase to make her drive better and it won't look squatty.

In looking at your original picture, the frame looks unusually high in the front, the radiator shell looks standard height but set below the frame which is parallel with the ground, the front spring looks like it has a lot of arch, and unless the picture is screwed up the shackles look tilted down too far rather than at about a 45* angle toward the center. Just as a guess, I would say that maybe the spring is too long and/or the wrong arch possibly to give clearance for the bottom of the radiator and shell.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back