Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

estimated weight & dimensions

Shannon

Hi gang. I'm still in the 'gathering information' and initial planning phases of my first project of this scale so I just have tons of unknowns. I'm still planning garage/work space, tolls and, (gulp), how I will get the parts into, and car out of my garage. Years ago the garage was turned into basically a wood shop & storage area, bicycles & the like. We now have a inground swimming pool in front of my garage.

So one of my tasks is to figure out how to build a 'removable ramp' to roll the car out and maybe back in for winter storage (use twice a year?). I'd like to have a plan for this before I start anything. I don't have to cross over the entire pool length or width wise. I basically just need to cut across the corner. I'm thinking I can keep one side (left) on the concrete but the other will have to pass over the corner & steps of the pool.

I believe I can build a ramp of two sets of 2 4x6 posts bolted together (one pair on either side under the wheels), span those crossways with 3/4" plywood to stabilize and distribute weight, and use some 2x10 & 2x6 to lift the ends of the 'beams' enough to clear the pool lip (1.5").

Sooooo, I'd like to get an idea on the outside dimensions total weight of a finished 23T. I have general dimensions for wheelbase, chassis and the basic body - I'm looking for some info from a 'finished' car. Assume I'm starting with a Speedway or Spirit kit - fiberglass body, mild 302/351 Ford engine, C4 or AOD transmission, and BIG fat wheels/tires on the rear (dig that classic staggered look). Any guesses on the total weight for such a thing?

I know this post is going the generate a ton of humorous responses, so feel free to have at it. I've already heard suggestions including helicopters, outrigger/pontoons, helium balloons, filling the pool with sandbags and a bunch of drunken dudes just standing in the pool carrying it over. My oldest son has already voiced his intent to come over and film the whole thing for internet publication. His vision is the T on the bottom of the pool. No faith in the old man I guess....

Mine is as follows: Width- 6'
Length- 11 1/2' Give or take an inch
Wieght- 1,750 lbs.

Now for the joke: There once was a girl from Nantucket.... well, I don't know the rest, but we all know how it ends.

Shannon: Welcome the the T bucket Forum from another Hoosier (Indy)! I think tfeverfred's weights and dims are spot on and are pretty typical for a '23.

At probably the other end of the spectrum, mine is 13 feet long overall, and weighs 2220 lbs.

Jeff

I'm sorry that I did not get to answer your question earlier but I'll answer it now. My whole car measures 142 1/2" from the front tread edge of the front tire to the tip of the tail light and has a 109" wheelbase. There is 64 3/4" between the outer edges of the 155/80x15 front tires and 68 1/4" on the rear 285/70x15". Some other measurements of my car are 42" to the top of the windshield post and 36" to the top of the side of the body where you enter. The whole car weighs 1937 pounds with the rear weighing 50 pounds heavier than the front.

IMG_1365.jpg

Jim

I measured my bucket last year and it was right around 10 1/2'. I weighed it Sunday and it was 1830 lbs with out my fat butt in it.

so I guess that begs the question: "Does this T-bucket make my butt look fat?"
or (in Roy Scheider's voice): "We're gonna need a bigger T-Bucket."

I have alluminum platforms that range in length from 8' to 20' that hold my pickup which weighs 8585 lbs. My question is, can you change the door from the front to the back wall, and come in from the back yard? A lot of work I know. Better safe than be on U-Tube and lose a lot of money in that pool. Never bolt wood together, that will be the weak point. Find utility poles or lumber the lenght you need, double beams with bracing between, then cover with 2xs or plywood.

You know, I did consider that, cutting another door/hole in the back of the garage. There are lots of problems with that not the least of which is the block foundation (although I suppose I could ramp over that) and that my electrical service comes in back there. But I did give that a thought or two.

The platforms you mentioned, are those home-built or purchased? Are they mobile enough to be moved around by 2 people? Given the weight estimates I've seen, I'm probably under 2,000 lbs. I believe 2 4x6's bolted together, a pair on each side (under the wheels) would hold over the 10-12 foot span I need. I've thought of maybe reinforcing that with a steel U or box channel also. It won't be an every day thing, twice a year probably, spring & fall....

If you're dead set on using wood , you might consider going to a 'real" lumber yard & asking about engineered beams [micro-lams/glue-lams] , most real yards can call the provider & give actual load bearing numbers. I have been a builder for 35 yrs. & would not trust 4x6, even doubled <and they are going to be HEAVY to move around. Much better suggestion is to put in a backdoor !!

i

Thanks Dave, I'll continue considering that option. I'm not dead-set on wood; just dead-set that I'll eventually need to get it out of the garage. I'm also assuming I'll actually finish someday. :)

I'm just having trouble wrapping my head around how I would punch a hole through the end and not have the garage crash down on me. The garage sits at a 90 degree angle to the house, so the back faces my neighbor, not my back yard, or the alley or the street. So with a back door, I'd probably have to drive into the neighbors yard, turn and go down between our houses. Current neighbor wouldn't mind that, can't say he'll be there forever, next neighbor could be a jerk. I'll go step it off this weekend and see if there is enough room to the property line & neighbors fence to get out and make the turn to the street. I'm sure there is enough room between the houses (if I can make the turn); we've hauled dirt & landscaping stuff in our pickup in/out that way.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back