Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

exhaust crossover pipes in use?

Northstar T

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
As many others have before me, I've been researching how to make a quieter traditional side pipe setup. one thing that I haven't heard discussed before is the use of a crossover pipe. I use them on all my OT cars, and they reduce the harshness by a significant amount, but I use baffled mufflers on those and not the see through glasspacks that most of us use on the Ts.
What I envision on my Northstar T is building a crossover of around 1 7/8", which would be plugged in right in front of each glass pack and curving under the trans. this would also make a convienient means of fabracating an exhaust system support when tied to the trans in the middle.
So is (or has) anyone here used a crossover in conjunction with traditional side pipes? opinions of the outcome? comments?

Cheers,
Russ

As many others have before me, I've been researching how to make a quieter traditional side pipe setup. one thing that I haven't heard discussed before is the use of a crossover pipe. I use them on all my OT cars, and they reduce the harshness by a significant amount, but I use baffled mufflers on those and not the see through glasspacks that most of us use on the Ts.
What I envision on my Northstar T is building a crossover of around 1 7/8", which would be plugged in right in front of each glass pack and curving under the trans. this would also make a convienient means of fabracating an exhaust system support when tied to the trans in the middle.
So is (or has) anyone here used a crossover in conjunction with traditional side pipes? opinions of the outcome? comments?

Cheers,
Russ

Well, when I built my 392 Hemi, I ran a set of modified fenderwell exit headers, that curved out and down. I thoght I was gonna be cute and at the end have some cable operated cutouts. That was cool. The cute part was totally fubar'ed by the fact that I dropped down right at the front of the cutout, went under the car, into some 3" Turbo Mufflers and dumped back by the rear.
Russ, I'm hard of hearing, but that was loud.....I could feel it. It had that megaphone sound going on.......and I put in a crossover pipe like what you are thinking about, and took alot of the 'bite' out of the sound. It quietened down considerably, but still had ALOT of low Rumble to it.....Of course I was running essentially a mild Blown Outlaw Altered Motor, and I was really spinning the blower. Beside gaining some torque, Your sound will improve.
I didn't have the mufflers beside the car, but I think it would be OK. I'm totally deaf though.

Tomorrow, alot of the other guys ought to let you know some info.....I think several of them run crossovers....

To get the most power gain when using a crossover tube, a 2" tube mounted/bolted into the collectors 'BEFORE the squeeze' and run across just ahead of the sump in the oil pan to the other side... Whatever you decide, remember to hang any exhaust part using rubber to stop any heat transfer, very important! BTDT :) You can do a crossover back farther but not much of a power gain back in the pipe system... But it will smooth out the sound... I would but a baffle in the pipe before the muffler, to stop the completely open pipe/noise maker...

Well I believe I'll give it a try. nothing to loose really. the main pipes are 2.5", but I have conflicting theories on what the crossover diameter should be. I plan to drive the car to work tomorrow, so maybe I'll get my buddie at the rod shop next to mine to put it on his lift for a look-see. he has a tube bender also, so he could bend something trick up for me if needed.

Russ

Russ, you want the crossover to be as short as possible and no smaller than that 2.5" diameter. Actually, if you can make it larger, you'll realize the benefits of the crossover through a broader RPM range.

If you have someone who can help you make something, then give a X-pipe some consideration, rather than a standard H-pipe configuration. At higher RPM, an H-pipe can become "overloaded" with exhaust pulses and will stop working. With an X-pipe, you will balance all the pressure pulses from both banks and at all RPM levels. The best part about an X-pipe is that after the X, the system is pulse-free.

If making more power is the objective, trying to sort a way to get some 180° headers is the ticket. It will give the car a bumble-bee tone in the exhaust, but it will make power.

[media]

You can go crazy, from here. Measuring intake runner lengths and balancing those lengths with primary header tubes that are timed into the collector can also make power. Like i said, it just depends on how Star Wars you want to get. :zingy:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back