Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Three very different questions...

Often I find myself politely informing people that I can explain it to them, but I cannot understand it for them.

Often I find myself politely informing people that I can explain it to them, but I cannot understand it for them.
I used to drive Fords and hated Chevy because everyone had them and the aftermarket made it too easy. I felt like it took more to make a non Chevy perform and I prided myself in being different. I then went with Poncho's and enjoyed them. Now I don't care, I like some of all, but not all of any and the aftermarket has leveled the field for Ford and Mopar, not so much for bop. I am a purist in original Cars and like them powered by at least the same make, but rods and such have no rules in my opinion. For the record, I own Ford, Chevy, Buick, Pontiac, Dodge, Toyota, Fiat, VW rail, and have designs on a Olds F85 ragtop. I like most things with motors. I must say that my 327 and 383 stroker small block Chevy motors are my favorites of all I have owned in the small block category, they run the best. So far. Lol

No heater in my 27T but do have between the frames exhaust with glass packs from the headers on back. Turnouts in front of rear tires but could have extended out the back had I wanted to do that. I'm running Ford 5.0 with carb and AOD tranny. Put in a shift kit so it starts in 2nd gear unless I drop into first. This light car takes off very fast in 2nd. Once we reach a cruising speed we can talk normally to each other; only loud during acceleration.

No heater in my 27T but do have between the frames exhaust with glass packs from the headers on back. Turnouts in front of rear tires but could have extended out the back had I wanted to do that. I'm running Ford 5.0 with carb and AOD tranny. Put in a shift kit so it starts in 2nd gear unless I drop into first. This light car takes off very fast in 2nd. Once we reach a cruising speed we can talk normally to each other; only loud during acceleration.

Thanks! Do you have a gallery somewhere so I could see some pics of your car? I appreciate the input.

I see no problem with adding a heater, though as several have said, it's not likely to be more than a foot warmer. I regularly see some pretty nifty looking "back in the day" aftermarket heaters on ebay for reasonable prices...both gasoline and hot water versions. I may even go for one someday, if for nothing more than the novelty.

On the EFI 5.0/AOD drivetrain, the only problem I can see is the spaghetti-nightmare of wires and hoses to support the EFI and all it's sensors, ignition, ECU, etc. I had originally planned on keeping the electronics on my build, but the more I tried to find places to put the related "junk", the less I liked what it was going to end up looking like. Finally I caught the KISS bug and picked up a conventional intake and distributor,

I enjoy reading all the post. The skills and knowledge the guys have is amazing. Build it the way you want. Make it your car, That is why its called Hot Rodding.

I see no problem with adding a heater, though as several have said, it's not likely to be more than a foot warmer. I regularly see some pretty nifty looking "back in the day" aftermarket heaters on ebay for reasonable prices...both gasoline and hot water versions. I may even go for one someday, if for nothing more than the novelty.

On the EFI 5.0/AOD drivetrain, the only problem I can see is the spaghetti-nightmare of wires and hoses to support the EFI and all it's sensors, ignition, ECU, etc. I had originally planned on keeping the electronics on my build, but the more I tried to find places to put the related "junk", the less I liked what it was going to end up looking like. Finally I caught the KISS bug and picked up a conventional intake and distributor,
I own several rag tops and the heaters do help with the windows up, otherwise, maybe a foot warmer. I would have to experience it in a t before I would personally invest the work to install one. Seat heaters sound ok. Jmo.

Depending on how hot rodded your engine will be, the exhaust may not be bad. I have a stock 350 in mine with typical chrome muffler extensions and at cruise you can barely hear it running over the wind. On the other hand I had a '28 Model A with a hot 468 big block, same mufflers and the exhaust noise was unbearable. I don't think a heater would do much in my car. Too much swirling wind everywhere. Your design may be different...

While having dinner with my wife last night we were discussing my T bucket plans for when I finish the '65. She is 100% on board with the T, but offered up a suggestion that I like. She suggested I build a "touring-T" then we take it on a back road tour through the southwest, route 66, US50, etc. enjoy it a bit then sell it and build my dream bucket that I've been planning for years. In the course of discussion I came up with three questions to answer in relation to building a bucket for road trips all over.

#1. Has anyone put a small heater unit in their T? I understand that without a roof or windows that it won't do much, but warm legs and feet will make a big difference knocking off the chill on a cool morning.

#2. Has anyone routed their exhaust between the rails and out the back like on a "normal car"? (HER idea...) I'm asking because she thinks on a month long road trip it would be nice to have it a little quieter and no pipes to burn ankles on. After the trip is complete I'd put a proper T bucket exhaust in place!

#3. Has anyone on here built a bucket with an EFI 5.0 / AOD combo? I have a good running, very low mileage '91 Grand Marquis sitting in my field that I picked up to use the rear axle on another project. I'm thinking a nice mild EFI 5.0 with AOD would be just the ticket for efficient, reliable touring, but mostly I favor it because I have it on hand already and so it would be a free powerplant.

Well I will say the best way to enjoy your hot rods is to have your wife enjoy hotrods as well. You are miles ahead of most people already and I am glad for you. When I bought my tbucket my wife was rather neutral on the subject. After having it a short time she realized how much attention it drew and within months it was declared "her car". I wouldn't do anything stupid to the car for her but having her input and making changes to help her enjoy the car more is a very smart move IMO. We really like the T but it is not a very comfortable car for long hauls and to be honest being passed or passing semi trucks on the highway is rather scary (something to do with getting older I guess). So two years ago I bought her a Factory Five roadster. Late model efi, 5 spd, IRS. All the driveability of a new car with the looks of an old car. We flew to Oakland Ca, bought the car and drove it home 2300 miles (in two and half days).

So, where am I going with all this mumbo jumbo? Hot Rods can be made to be reliable and comfortable is my point.

1. We have a heater in the Cobra and use it regularly in the fall and winter. If you are freezing cold let me tell you, you will appreciate any heat even if it only on your legs. What we do is cover up with a blanket and hold the blanket up to the dash. The air will blow in by your legs and under the blanket creating all kinds of warmth. The T is more open in the cockpit than her cobra but I looked at ways to attach the blanket along the bottom of the dash (with velcro) to seal in the warmth. If you are thinking long hauls I would put in a heater. I would consider a body with a longer cowl for more heater room.
  2. The frame rails are so narrow that the transmission bellhousing takes up all the room. You would have to route the exhaust down under the bellhousing to get to the back where there is really no room for mufflers. It could be done but it would have to be "under" the car which could cause clearance issues depending on your build. Just something to consider. I like the simplicity of the sidepipes but they are loud. One thing to consider as well is the wind noise. It is just as hard on your ears as the exhaust and on long hauls we both wear ear plugs regardless of how loud it is. Her Cobra is much quieter than the T and that is where we noticed how bad the wind noise can be. If worried about burns put a step on the car. It force you away from the exhaust whether you want to or not..
  3. Depending in your budget and build an efi / AOD would be fine. It is going to be a personal taste but the stock 302 efi is going to be ugly on a T IMO but it's not my car. I would look at running a efi intake that uses a carbureted manifold with a throttle body efi. A carb can always be ran with an AOD as an option. My friend has a 400 hspr 347/AOD that pulls down 23 mpg on the highway. I like overdrives no matter what route you go.

Our T.

The wifes Cobra.

Here you can see what little room there is between the bellhousing and frame.

Here is step I added. You typically only burn yourself once but once you have a T you will find all your friends want to go for a ride. This will help all the non hot rod people from getting burned.

My wife and I also travel some on a motorcycle so I completely understand what you're saying. Most people just don't get it and never will.

I also own a 46 Ford coupe with the full streetrod treatment. I hauled the wife and kids around in it for years. It has AC and all the other comfort stuff. And yet, I have hardly used it in the last 6 years since I got my T on the road. People don't understand that one either. As a matter of fact, some have accused me of being crazy when they find out I have a "comfortable" coupe at home. I just feel sorry for them since they miss more experiences than they will ever know. Just because they won't step outside of their comfort zone.

Mike

I own several rag tops and the heaters do help with the windows up, otherwise, maybe a foot warmer. I would have to experience it in a t before I would personally invest the work to install one. Seat heaters sound ok. Jmo.

Good point...I was responding based on my assumption that there would be no top and no side enclosures. There is no reason that a top and simple side cutians could not be employed, making a heater effective for more than a foot warmer.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back