Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Exhaust support

Johnny

I went to a little car show earlier today and noticed a hot rod with headers and mufflers going down the side like most T-Buckets. Well, they had a support mount attached to the frame. Do any of you have your header-muffler system supported to the frame?

I went to a little car show earlier today and noticed a hot rod with headers and mufflers going down the side like most T-Buckets. Well, they had a support mount attached to the frame. Do any of you have your header-muffler system supported to the frame?

Have a look in the tech section. There is a complete run down of the 8 pipe set up including the rear bracket, that i did last year.
Gerry

I have never used a brace to the frame for any of my standard header/muffler type exhaust systems, heck you can pick up the whole car with them if necessary... BUT! if you ever do, make sure that they are rubber insulated to stop the heat transfer and not really wanting a SOLID connection...

Here are some photos of how I did my exhaust set up.
IMG_9853.jpg

IMG_9854.jpg

IMG_9855.jpg

Jim

This one is a tube that attached with a couple of brackets on each turnout and used a bracket that bolted to the tail housing of the transmission. If there is rocking motion in the engine and transmission, there is no binding to the exhaust system.

HeaderBraceCrossbar.jpg

GAB ,in the pic you posted their appears to be a third tube in the rear radius rod, don't believe Ive seen that before, just curious as to why?

dave

That third tub ads strength, looks like the tubes are a bit on the small side, so that is a bit of insurance... Maybe even an after thought. ? Note about muffler brace, still should use the rubber insulators to stop heat from travelling to the trans, you would sometimes be very surprised to find how much that heat travels.

Dave,
That style of radius rod was kind of a trademark for one of our local fabricators. He used to build T-Bucket chassis kits. I built a chassis for a fellow that had already bought some of this style and I saw no reason to not use them. This was nearly 40 years ago and things were different then as far as suspension geometry awareness.

Here is a picture of a couple of cars that he built with that style of radius rods and one other interesting distinction...they are identical! When somebody mentions that all T-Buckets are different, I have to snicker to myself and think of this instance.

The builder is Dick Easterwood (that's him setting on the back with the mutton chops and sun glasses) and that car is his. The other one was owned by Ray Worth who now owns several big H-D dealerships in Kansas City. The picture was taken at either the first or second NSRA Nationals in Peoria, Illinois.

Way more information than anybody is interested in. :thinkn:

EWTB.jpg

You should see Dick's current about to be finished ride. A '32 Ford Phaeton with a new all aluminum Ardun. Talk about pretty....WOW!

I remember seeing those cars at the first NSRA meet in Peoria. I also remember most guys didn't like the color but it was a hit with the gals.

Ron

Thanks George, great idea.

That's the solution I've been looking for and would have (might have) eventually stumbled into it, but only after I'd spent a bunch of money and time on something else. I almost placed an order for a couple of those braided SS flexible connectors in order to deal with the torque factor of the engine and trans. Summit Racing has them however I was going to buy the throug Amazon.com where they were a dollar or so more than Summit along with a couple of books from Amazon and get free shipping.

I still have to build a trans mount and crossmember and now I can incorporate an exhaust support.

By the way, without looking at the posters name I recognized Jim's car even if only from the clean floor... I have a floor is very nicely finished too, but we call it the bathroom and it has new tile. My garage floor? Some woud say it's ready for planting.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back