Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Faster than Vette, and its electric

deckofficer

Banned
This was brought up in another forum but was someone else's thread so I'll move it here because it is electric. Some of you guys are running Odyssey batteries and have commented that you were amazed of the cranking amps of a 15 lb AGM battery. This hot rod scooter will outrun my Vette up to 40 MPH. The range is only 6 miles but a big golf cart charger will fill the drained batteries in about 25 minutes. For a race on Route 66 in Arizona, I was competing against gas scooters and it was for 50 miles. This scooter pulled a 490 lb battery trailer that gave it a range of 65 miles. I copied and pasted from the other thread some of the advantages of these type of batteries over regular automotive starting batteries...........

Odyssey AGM batteries have a self discharge of less than 1/10 of a regular battery, can be charged at more than 20 times the rate and has a 5 times longer service life. Plus when it gets old, it won't leave you high and dry because at the end of service life is still able to crank the amps, just not as long. This is a cranking battery that can be deep cycled like a deepcycle RV/marine battery. No corrision and mounting in any position is also a good feature. As I have been trained by the regulars on this forum, I will post the pictures, just took awhile to find them on the hard drive, then reduce in size to fit here.

Bob

Attachments

• DSC00002 (1200 x 900).jpg
    DSC00002 (1200 x 900).jpg
    350.9 KB · Views: 129
  • DSC00004_2 (1200 x 900).jpg
    DSC00004_2 (1200 x 900).jpg
    289.5 KB · Views: 168
  • DSC01022 (1014 x 760).jpg
    DSC01022 (1014 x 760).jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 156
  • DSC01023 (1014 x 760).jpg
    DSC01023 (1014 x 760).jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 113
Cool toy :good: I like it.

I got 1800 miles on it and the Odyssey batteries still act like new. The Odyssey in the T is going on 15 years old.

Bob

Your comment on the other thread about nobody else being able to ride it brought up an old memory.

When I was a teen, I picked up an old Cat minibike with a very worn out 2 1/2 hp motor. I swapped in a 5 horse Briggs engine that I had. The engine was so big the footpegs and brake had to be extended to clear and the sparkplug had to be dropped in between the frame tubes after the engine was put in. That thing was a rocket!! You had to actually lean out over the front wheel when you took off or it would stand straight up, flip out from under you and drag you down the street. Several people tried to ride it and all of them wound up on the ground with varying degrees of road rash. That included my know it all soon to be ex girlfriend and my Harley riding uncle!! I was the only one that ever rode it without falling down.

Sorry about the hijack.

Mike

Mike,

It isn't a hyjack when it happens to me because it doesn't bother me. Did the minibike route also, quickly learned how to defeat the cooling air designed governor and then added a jack shaft to gear it down. Mine was a Briggs 4 hp and made by Fox.

Bob

Thanks for the info on the AGM batteries. I would like to build one of those scooters, is there a link to more info?

Thanks for the info on the AGM batteries. I would like to build one of those scooters, is there a link to more info?

I'll give you some costs of components, and if you are still interested I'll post some links to electric vehicle parts suppliers. Nobody in their right mind would build my scooter for resale, this scooter is just plain unsafe, but here are the main components you will need

(1) Etek motor, hard to find a "real" Etek, but knockoffs of this PM pancake design can be found for $400.00~ $500.00
(2) Odyssey AGM batteries, depends on your choice of power level, I'm running (4) in seires @ $130.00 = $520.00
(3) Controller, again depends on the power level, I'm running 72 volt, 400 amp(for a future upgrade) $475.00
(4) Golf cart charger, if you buy new, there is an off brand that does both 36 volts (common for all older carts) and 48 volts. This gives you the flexibity to build a 36, 48, 72, 84, 96, volts scooter. Also being off brand, about $200.00 cheaper. I haven't bought one in awhile but about $375.00 + shipping (heavy).

so, you got a total of around $1,870.00 and you still need to buy the scooter you are going to canniballize. Or build from scratch and convert bike or motorcycle.

If you respond that you still want to go for it, I'll post links to the parts suppliers.

Bob

I'll give you some costs of components, and if you are still interested I'll post some links to electric vehicle parts suppliers. Nobody in their right mind would build my scooter for resale, this scooter is just plain unsafe, but here are the main components you will need

(1) Etek motor, hard to find a "real" Etek, but knockoffs of this PM pancake design can be found for $400.00~ $500.00
(2) Odyssey AGM batteries, depends on your choice of power level, I'm running (4) in seires @ $130.00 = $520.00
(3) Controller, again depends on the power level, I'm running 72 volt, 400 amp(for a future upgrade) $475.00
(4) Golf cart charger, if you buy new, there is an off brand that does both 36 volts (common for all older carts) and 48 volts. This gives you the flexibity to build a 36, 48, 72, 84, 96, volts scooter. Also being off brand, about $200.00 cheaper. I haven't bought one in awhile but about $375.00 + shipping (heavy).

so, you got a total of around $1,870.00 and you still need to buy the scooter you are going to canniballize. Or build from scratch and convert bike or motorcycle.

If you respond that you still want to go for it, I'll post links to the parts suppliers.

Bob

What am I thinking? I have two, 14 year old teenagers that would kill themselves in about 2 seconds on that thing! So with that in mind I will pass but thanks for the offer.
I love stuff like that but should stick to my T Bucket. :)

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back