Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Finally got the hot rod I've been wanting since I was about 12. About time.

23tub

Hello to all.
I've been wanting a hot rod since I was 12 or so (too many years ago). I finally scored a 23 T Phaeton. So now I need to learn from those of you who have been working on and enjoying these for years. I'm no stranger to cars. My other collectible is a 57 Chevy 2 dr HT. My dad was a mechanic who started working on model Ts. If he was still around he'd flip over this one- even if it has a fiberglass body -and no crank in the front. I've been crawling around under cars since I was old enough to figure out fractional wrench sizes (Ed, give me the 1/2 open end wrench!). My main job used to be holding the drop light while pop worked. Had to be the most thankless job in the world.
Anyway, I'm starting with a car that was originally built sometime in the 70s. It has a 396, TH 400, and 12 bolt posi rear. I'm looking forward to making her my own with MY touches and getting her to the point of being a very reliable (and fun) driver.

HotRod4.jpg

Nice car, You are going to enjoy that one I bet............
HotRod1.jpg

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome. I'll be fiddling with it for some time to come, I think. First is making it more driveable as-is. It has some front end shimmy (might have a bent rim). Front wheel bearings seem a bit loose too. The rims look like Centerlines, but probably are not. So I'll be looking for a pair. Front tires have some dry rot. Motor is a bit sluggish (gotta check to see if the carb is opening fully) and I need to pull the plugs to have a look. Will probably want an electric fan if I want to drive it in parades. Would be nice to have disk brakes. Etc., etc. I'm sure many of you have gone through something similar. A new interior would be nice. A repaint wouldn't hurt. Some of the chrome could stand a re-plate. It goes on and on. To me, driveability is number one. Cosmetics are for later. An almost endless work in process, but the starting point seems okay. Thanks again! (BTW, other than a couple years 25 or 30 years ago with a circle track car with a big block, I've had only small blocks until now. This engine is a '69 396, so I'll need to reacquaint myself with BB Chevys). Mostly I remember TORQUE.

HotRod2.jpg

I like the view from here.....Nice car and they are never finished.........

Mike

A hot rod with a back seat is pretty cool. If you want a driver, make sure you've got lots of vacuum, vac-secondary carb, vac-advance distributor. Boy-racer goodies suck on the street.

Thanks again everyone. I'm sure that I'll have some questions later on. Engine has an Edlebrock carb - with which I have zero experience. I've always been a Holley guy. I have a very streetable Holley on my 57. Also, the kingpins have a little slop, so I'll be looking else where for help on that. Car also has friction front shocks. Again, I'm clueless. So far, found a bum outside wheel bearing. Looks like they used brakes & spindle from a 55-57 Chevy truck. $60 for a wheel bearing at NAPA. Was in a hurry, so didn't have time to shop for it. I'm sure it's available for less elsewhere, but I want to take the car out Saturday morning. Some great looking cars here!!!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back