Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Finally got the hot rod I've been wanting since I was about 12. About time.

Very cool and the whole family can go to !!! Your drop light comment made me think one time when I was about ten my dad handed me the flashlight we work g working on his 49 ford he said Tim befor we get under the car would you just go ahead and shine the flashlight in my eyes several times to get that part out of the way . So I did it he reminded me it was metaphorical with a swift kick from the pointiest cowboy boots on the planet ha ha ha .

It seems that I wasn't the only light holder for dad. Lots of memories there.
Great story, Rooster.

To make extra money, pop would fix cars for other people in our garage and I was usually enlisted as light-holder and tool-fetcher. My dad wasn't a sailor (I was later on), but could cuss like the best of them. His "litany" (as mom used to call it) was usually directed at rusty bolts, tailpipes and the like. As a kid, I was half-expecting lightning to strike at some point. His most original as I remember was "Holy jumping, Bald-headed J.C." Never heard that one anywhere else. He was bald (that hasn't hit me yet, but it's inevitable, I suppose), so that probably contributed to his "litany". I guess that we all have memories of helping dad - and that likely led us to our hobby today. My pop was a professional mechanic who started on real model T's - before anyone had thoughts of hot-rodding one. I'm sure that he'd flip to see my tub. It's too bad that we never seem to truly appreciate out parents until it's too late.

In addition to the tub, I have a 57 Bel Air 2dr HT (my 4th 57), that I've owned since 1976. First car was a 57. I've had one most of the time since then.

Always wanted a hot rod, though. When this one came up, I had to jump on it. So far, it's received a new fuel system, and complete ignition. Fuse block was a hassle, but my Navy electronics training got me through that one. Next is a front brake overhaul and king pins. One way or another I'll make it a reliable driver.

Maybe we should start a string "Memories of working on cars with dad".

A hot rod with a back seat is pretty cool. If you want a driver, make sure you've got lots of vacuum, vac-secondary carb, vac-advance distributor. Boy-racer goodies suck on the street.
Hi, RM. Thanks for the advice. That's what I've always done. I've always had drivers - not racers or show cars. BTW, love the radiator shell.

Updates to my tub project:
Not much that’s visible, but lots of stuff to make it drivable.
Engine: All new ignition (everything but the distributor itself), New Holley Street Avenger (670 CFM, vacuum secondaries) – plenty enough for normal street driving. I have no plans for racing.
Moved the mickey-moused alternator mount from top driver’s side to mid passenger side. Used a mount from March. Should have used the one from Billet Specialties. March’s unit required me to drill out the main mounting hole in the alternator to accommodate the larger diameter bolt to the head. Billet Specialties unit has a work-around for this. Take note anyone thinking of this for your big block Chevy.
After installation, found that the heim joint used to tension the alternator hit the alternator fan. Had to replace the alternator fan. Then found that the fan belt now rubbed on the lower radiator hose. Went to a smaller diameter crankshaft pulley to gain clearance. While I was at it, I replaced both pulleys with nice shiny ones from Billet Specialties. That slows down the water pump, so went to a high volume, polished aluminum unit from Weiand. Had to grind off the huge hump in the water outlet to get the hose on. Who designs these things?
Replaced all of the radiator hose ends while I was at it. THEN found that the alternator bearings were starting to make noise. Replaced the alternator with one from Tuff Stuff.
New gas pedal. The old one only opened the carb up about 1/3 throttle. She really takes off now. Haven't yet had the nerve to floor it from a standing start, but I'll get to it.
In the looks department, replaced the air cleaner and valve covers.

Chassis and others: Replaced the kingpins and overhauled the front brakes. Someone had installed 2 primary shoes on the passenger side, 2 secondary shoes on the driver’s side. Too many beers when installing? New grease seals, brake shoes, wheel cylinders and SS braided hoses. New dual master cylinder and residual pressure valves installed and old single cylinder unit to the trash. Found that the drums brakes are plenty sufficient to stop this light car, so they will stay for the time being – plus I like the “Old School” look.
Found that the rivets holding the front brake drums to the spindle were causing the wheels to warp when tightened (front end wobble anyone?), so ground off the heads. Big improvement!
Moved the tie rod to the front. It was in the rear with long spacers at either end to clear the radius rods. Moving to the front allowed me to remove the spacers. Replaced the heims at the same time.
Properly adjusted the reversed Corvair steering box. Another big improvement. Set castor to 9 degrees and toe to around 1/8”. More improvement.
New friction material in the friction shocks and tightened them up. Polished the aluminum while they were off.
Car had at least 3 different types of lug nuts. Replaced all with proper nuts. All wheels balanced. New springs and shocks in the rear. Guessed at the right length and rate – close but no cigar. Now waiting for longer, stiffer springs. Got a great deal on Garage Sale items from Speedway for the springs.
So, she’s getting to the point of being a reliable, fun driver. Not that there isn’t more to do. As an earlier poster said – They’re never finished.

More work:
Dual master cylinder installed.
New gas pedal installed (now able to "Open her up". Old one was only opening the card about 30%)!
Crappy tranny cross member replaced. The old one was the biggest mish-mash of angle iron I ever saw.
New springs and shocks - used coil-over springs and they seem to be working out fine.
Panhard bar was mounted at a crazy angle causing the car to jerk from side to side on every bump. Now it's parallel to the rear axle. Quite an improvement.
Rear end was tilted upwards at the drive shaft end. A little adjustment here.

Next project: seems to have a vacuum leak at number 7 cylinder, so new intake gasket will be coming soon.

It's "getting there". Lots of other little things to do.

Welcome from Missouri ! Cool car and stories , I was a light holder / tool chaser , until my mechanical abilities improved . Then it was do this do that HAHAHA !

This thread is a great read! As I was growing up, my Dad held the light for me cause he was all thumbs. He passed away in 2006 and I was still fixing his stuff. You have done an amazing amount of stuff to your car since your first post in April. I thought you were supposed to make these projects last for years and years. Keep up the good work and welcome to the forum!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back