Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Gas gauge level sensor

Recently I ran across the Moeller sight gauges...
View attachment 11772
They come in a variety of models for different tank depths. If not a direct fit for standard tank sending unit bungs, it does not look like adapting would be hard. If positioned on the right end of the tank, it seems like it would be readable from the driver's seat with an over the shoulder glance. Also, there is a conversion capsule to make these units into 33-240 ohm senders, if a dash gauge is wanted sometime in the future[/QUOTE]
Very slick! I have lotsa gauges:
qo7aGWxuTudvC_erho0lGdvm8Jghj7LcP5gj6XWoiu-_-WvQyVt_S4Ovld9-2b3Zd8-pW6GCtte89ND-43jUOPth5yXslRdJlOy7WqfXKu704EzFq8uolYzO_-lCyvWTWqbmAVRzZQdeJ1TCzENIan2JvJcEYx52BIftn_5nmstLu1mdr16AHRDUiawC4vbpjrlRElftjErN6DYaESfsWNyEcUXKmWpW_56fbREOftOoDvy0y6wJJSMZtZIVVIr52k4rg6nsFddKSN9Hfz0boZEHD6UFjnKHn6mV5GIVzg5uVcjZpWAiY2vPCPrsCCi3Efy63mbK7B9dIU3i8Jx4VfSqqJjum0KmVxb2oUsczjZTSuCwS4WaEjGaT2OGK04FTxFlI_59-kLWNDg0ifildE1qfDMZ6l41yOXV5P3jMWbk51NrWUzZW9JRkxg2ichhA3ADK00zIVzr3Rg9r98nJ4wLh3kbbR0FXB0kbc4hY8yNDHZ9gnM0BaN5P84r0USKwIch-_Oz3QJtiD7DJ3iX8yh8lek95rXobzBMQonVofnFvIf489Uwt86es9KPoqh4Dfhj=w1024-h768-no

It seemed like a good idea at the time. But I daydream of a T with no gauges, just a few LEDS to alert to low fuel, high temp, low oil pressure.

But I daydream of a T with no gauges, just a few LEDS to alert to low fuel, high temp, low oil pressure.

Although my intent has always been to keep this little roadster simple, I don't think I could go that far. I've never been a fan of idiot lights.

My functional inspiration for this thing has always been a '61 MG Midget...probably the simplest car I've ever driven...and the most fun. I've been lucky to have had the chance to drive many subsequent and more complicated MGs, and a variety of other street and race sports cars, and my impression is that as the complication goes up the sheer joy of driving and maintaining goes down. I'm hoping to recapture some of that simple fun.

I hear you. My car is like a military jet; it spends 10 hours in the garage for every hour on the road.

My gas gauge doesn't work in the dash [not hooked up]. On the filler tube on the tank I don't use a cap instead I have a cap with a gauge built in it like they use on lawn mowers, . bad thing is I can't read it from in the car . I check it when I get in the car. Sometimes I forget to check it. I have run out a couple times .When I run out of fuel it just quits, no sputtering.

Well, my last pot of coffee is now wearing off... Gauges are always a compromise, due to the shapes.... Anyway, Zandoz shows a good top mounted gauge. Then theres the gascap lawnmower style. The electrics come in arms and in vertical shaft floats.... I would and have run 2 90 degree nipples facing each other, with a short piece of braided line in between. I usually get something strange and unusual to stick in the gas like so I can see it, so I can see the level. Just don't use anything that will desolve....I use Mardi Gras beads....they are large enough that won't get into the tank.... and gave room to move inside of gasline. I've seen chrome plated plastic pieces in there.....even seen sweezle sticks....
On mine, I have the line on the drivers side, have a small T10 LED mounted to the frame, I can see my gasline thru a backup camera, and the LED is a blacklight. The bead in the line glows under the blacklight. So, when I hit the switch, I can see my level, even in the dark.
My other gauge is in my speedo....just hit reset on my speedo....

Last edited:
I used a ruler, as a dip stick. In my 10.5 tank, 3" was about 3 gallons and time to fill up. Doesn't get any easier than that.

I used a ruler, as a dip stick. In my 10.5 tank, 3" was about 3 gallons and time to fill up. Doesn't get any easier than that.
Yup...thats what I do too.
My dipstick is the end off an old gas station dipstick for verifying the depth in the underground tanks.
It works, but I have to admit some of the ideas the guys are putting out are really interesting!

I changing from a 10 inch high tank (19 Gals) to a 6 inch high tank (910.4 Gals). I can reuse the Level Sensor. I cut the wire Arm so that it would bottom out with the float on the bottom of the tank. I had to Cut and rebend the arm to get it to read full and empty. Right now it is dead on Empty with no gas in the tank and it reads 7/8 with float at full up.
I am happy with that. I was feeling that I was pushing my luck bending and cutting the arm. I will check when I fill it up.

There are 5 mounting holes and it took a while to figure out why the holes wouldn't line up. It turns out 2 holes are about 0.060 " further apart than the rest. They are like that so you can index the sensor in the tank.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back