Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Gauges pro's and con's

i would say go with electric speedo so easy to calibrate no gears to change just push buttons.

I went with Dolphin, inexpensive and a good looking gage. I may be wrong, but do you not need a electric transmission to use a electric speedo?

thomas

I went with Dolphin, inexpensive and a good looking gage. I may be wrong, but do you not need a electric transmission to use a electric speedo?

thomas

You are wrong Thomas. I have electronic speedometers on both of my cars with only a normal, not an electronic, turbo 359 transmission.

Jim

thomas

Like EXJUNK, I have electronic speedos in 2 cars with regular cable type tranmissions. They have a sending unit that screws onto the cable drive on the trans.

Mine are VDO and have proven to be very reliable. The set in my 46 is about 12 years old now and is still going strong. Use a GPS navigation system to get your actual road speed and you can calibrate the speedo dead on.

Mike

Dolphin,Shark,Tpi,VDO I think I am going to run mechanical gauges because of price

I went with Autometer Gauges. I like that they're black face during the day and white face at night. It makes them easier to see and cuts down on glare when someone pulls up right behind you at night. Electronic Speedo's are easier to calibrate and most come with the Hall Efect sending unit that you just attached the transmission where the cable would go.

1825291_L.jpg
Here is a pic of the sending unit for Gm and a link sender

I'm not a fan of Dolphin. That's what I started out with and had some issues. Chrome bezels on two gauges started pitting within a year of installation. Never could get the speedometer calibrated (it was not self-calibrating, you had to set DIP switches according to a table in the manual). Gas gauge pointer would hang up at about 1/2 tank... if I tapped on it, it would free up. Water temp was off 20*... don't know if it was the sender (supplied by Dolphin) or the gauge. Customer service was unpleasant to deal with.

I switched to Autometer and am very happy. Made in Illinois. Great customer service. A little more spendy than Dolphin, but you get what you pay for.

I took everyones advise here and went with the autometer. I was very surprised when the sending unit came with the speedo. Didn't ask the price but I got an electric water pump and some other goodies that day as well all for under 700. Prices really ruin the mood for me so I just fill up my cart and proceed to check out. Put receipt in file folder and never look at it unless I need to return something. Now, if you ask ny wife they were on sale for $25.00!!!

Attachments

• Dash.jpg
    Dash.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 46
Nice looking setup bucketkids.Get that thing rolling.

I'm not a fan of Dolphin. That's what I started out with and had some issues.

I've heard alot of people had issues with Dolphin gauges. I was going to go with Classic Instruments but went with VDO Cockpit Series. Since the wife works for NAPA, and they handle some VDO gauges...well that made my choice much easier.

Put receipt in file folder and never look at it unless I need to return something. Now, if you ask ny wife they were on sale for $25.00!!!

ha ha.. Cool, cause that's what I told my wife about my gauges also. so now our stories will match perfectly
hf.gif

Russ

I originally installed a set of Stewart Warner gauges back in 67 mostly because the factory was close to my house and I had a friend that worked there. In the early 70's they started malfunctioning so I replaced them with set of VDO's and that set is still in my bucket working perfectly.

Any body have experience with Omega gauges? Price wise seem to be in between AutoMeter and VDO. Just curious.

Gauges that be the question... Just ask your local dealer what type of Gauges would be best for your BOAT!!! Why a BOAT? because you have really the same thing, need all weather gauges... Not as dry & clean as in a regular car, the night time dew is Hell on chrome/metal, not so bad on plastic or Brass... Just thought I would save someone from having to change later, maybe :) Electrical can be a bit safer (oil mess) and much easier to use and install IMHO :shoot: Test Test Test

I'm planning on going with Autometer. Got a couple of questions. Are the Autometer clocks any good? I'm obsessed with time and I'd like a matching clock to go with the other gauges. Also, do those electric speedometer senders work with Ford or is it just a Chevy thing?

ford sender
1825292_R.jpg
here is a pic and link to ford sender. When in a bucket don't even think about time. Just watch your speed.

"When in a bucket don't even think about time. Just watch your speed."

Thanks for looking up the Ford sender. That's what I'm afraid of... I will have so much fun in the bucket that I will forget what time it is and be late for work.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back