Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

gear size

s19243h

wondering what size ring and pinion you guys are running in your buckets mine has 2:78 with 31" tall tires i think i need more gear

3:55 with 27" tires. Shoot for a ratio of tire diameter / gear ratio of around 7.6. 31/4.1=7.56. 27/3.55=7.6

I have the same set up as Ron Pope (aka RPM) has and am very pleased with it.

Jim

I'm running 31" tall tires and 4.11 gears. The gears came with the rearend so they are going to stay for a while but they are a little much for what I want. They are great for running around town but for any kind of highway driving I would think that a 3.55 or 3.73 would be a better choice without sacrificing much performance. Plus with gas prices only going to get worse knocking 500 or 1000 rpms off of your highway cruise speed would help considerably on your mileage. But I will say that the performance from 0 to 60 is quite remarkable. Ummmmm, I mean lots of fun. Dang, I just busted myself flushing my mileage down the toilet. Oops.

Ron in case you forgot the bucket I sold you has 2.56 really tall gears. it cruised really low RPM.:jawdrop:

My QC rear has about 3.0 now, with 30" tires, and cruises 50mph at 2000rpm. It's plenty zippy with a crate SBC, 250 blower and 750 carb. I think without the blower I'd want more gear, tho.

r.p.m. X tire radius divided by 168 x rearend ratio = m.p.h.

save this for future reference, I have it on a card in my wallet

dave

r.p.m. X tire radius divided by 168 x rearend ratio = m.p.h.

save this for future reference, I have it on a card in my wallet

dave

Is that with a turbo 400 or 7004r overdrive.

1to1 final drive , in my day, no self respecting hotrod would have either an overdrive OR an automatic !

dave

1to1 final drive , in my day, no self respecting hotrod would have either an overdrive OR an automatic !

dave

Was gas 4 bucks a gallon then bet not.:nono:

Was gas 4 bucks a gallon then bet not.:nono:

The price of gas is the same as it has always been. 1966 I got my license gas was 25 cents a gallon and we worked for $1.00 an hour. Today gas is $4.00 a gallon and we work for $16.00 and hour. So it is relevant to what ya make. I can always remember gas being too high.

The price of gas is the same as it has always been. 1966 I got my license gas was 25 cents a gallon and we worked for $1.00 an hour. Today gas is $4.00 a gallon and we work for $16.00 and hour. So it is relevant to what ya make. I can always remember gas being too high.

Well said !!

dave

I have 4:11s with a 700r4 and 31" tires and about 350 hp I get 16.5 mpg at 70 mph

And w/ that said , I'm running 3.55 rear w/ a 388 stroker pushing 460 h.p. NO o.d. , 28" tall tires , 2x4 tunnel ram , get 16.8 m.p.g. @ 65 mph The joy of progressive linkage & a good running setup.

dave

When I started driving in 1974 you could buy about 6 gallons of gas on one hour of minimum wage. Nowdays you can barely buy 2 gallons on the same hour of minimum wage. So no, things are not relevant to what you make.

Dave, I remember getting 17 mpg with a 66 Mercury Comet with a worn out 289 and a 2bbl. 16.8 mpg with your setup sounds really good not to mention the cool factor with these cars. It's one of the reasons I went with mechanical secondaries, so I actually have to mash my foot down to make those back barrels kick in. As much as 4.11 gears a good for performance I would like to cruise on the highway while still keeping the engine rpms down.

The price of gas is the same as it has always been.
This statement is 100% correct.

Think about it. A gallon of gasoline is the same gallon of gasoline it has always been. Bessie still gives us the same gallon of milk she always has. A bushel of corn is the same size bushel as always. None of that has changed a bit. What has changed is the value of our dollar. The buying power, or real value, of our dollar has tanked. And after S&P's credit downgrade (which would have occurred 3 months ago, had the Oval Office's Islamic boogie-man not been *cough, cough* 'killed'), you are about to see that value drop yet again. Not to worry, because the real value of your dollar was already a tick under 2¢, so there's not much left for it to lose.

But you can relax in the comforting knowledge that of the $400 billion budget increase we couldn't afford to grant the government, $239 billion of it was spent just 2 days later. Which was the single, largest government spending day in history, by the way. Shall we start a pool on just how many more days it will be until we see Obummer on TV, tugging at his forelock and asking Congress to rubber-stamp him another $500 billion?

Trust me, the price of gasoline is the very least of your concerns. Anyone know what happened today, after a 70 year hiatus? Rice futures trading started again on the Tokyo Grain Exchange. And within minutes, its trading was halted. Apparently, a 40% price surge triggered a cancellation. And can you imagine what the people in Thailand and Viet Nam are doing about now? Why, they are dancing in their rice paddies, because they can now see what their rice is going to be worth. Can you say, 'marginal pricing power'? OK, can you say. 'Fukushima radiation levels'?

Look at what happened in New Zealand's markets, as they opened. As that wave washes across Europe, pay particular attention to Italy. And you know the impending crash of Italy's economy isn't the only thing the world financial leaders are concerned with, today. China is now calling for international oversight on any more issues of U.S. dollars, as they wag their fingers at U.S. fiscal irresponsibility. Amazing, isn't it? Other countries can see the pitfalls of fiat currency, yet our own country's leaders think its quite alright to just keep the printing presses running.

I think you can safely stop worrying about insignificant matters like gasoline prices. You may want to consider spending a bit of money on stockpiling non-perishable foodstuffs and bottled water, however.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back