Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

gear size

I have been loading ammunition for all of my firearms in anticipation of civil unrest due to this very matter. Here in the country we grow can and freez our own food. There are plenty deer and rabbits for meet.

It's funny how Mike can take a thread about gears and turn it into his own personal political rant stage. I know a guy who got banned from here and started his own forum that does exactly the same thing. Birds of a feather? Maybe that's why some people have defected. It's just not enough that we can read these threads and maybe learn a little something we also have to deal with the posts that BLIND US WITH BRILLIANCE. Sorry Glenn for the hijack post here.

Gee, I am genuinely sorry you feel like a hostage. Please allow me to point out some very real facts. No one forced you to come here. No one forced you to register. No one forced you to return. No one forced you to read anything.

Are you getting my drift? Just in case you're missing the general idea, no one is preventing you from logging out and never coming back.

As soon as I can get back to the office, I'll get that $5 donation you made back in May refunded to you. I don't want anyone being out a single nickel, if they're not enjoying themselves here.

4.30 gears and 34" tall tires. I like it. Wouldn't have anything higher than 4.10 (lower number).

Oh boy, it looks like I pissed off the pope here. I willingly come to this forum because I still have a lot to learn about these cars and there are a lot of people that come here who are willing to teach those of us who haven't built a thousand of them. Mike, you take criticism like a 6 year old. Is that the best you can do to just tell me to stop coming here? Your way or the highway? If your so willing to give my $5 back then give it back. I'll be as glad to take it as I was to give it in the first place. You sure were pretty fast to check out my history on this forum here weren't you? You also didn't find anything bad either did you? I could leave and never come back, I don't need you and you don't need me but if I kept coming back I might just learn a little bit more about how to make my car better and maybe, just maybe I could be a thorn in your side. I'm not going to leave because you want me to. If you want me out you'll have to ban me.

Thank you for your observations. Let me clarify a few points that seem to confuse you.

I've no problem with you coming here.

I've no problem with you participating here.

If you don't like the way these forums are operated, I've no problem with you leaving. You came here of your own free will and you can leave the very same way.

I've no problem with those who do not like me and if I upset you so much, I've no problem with you leaving.

I do have a problem with whiners.

I do have a problem with those who violate the rules and guidelines by which this site and its members are governed. Have you taken the time to familiarize yourself with the rules? Allow me to quote from them - "Members should post in a way that is respectful of other users. It is not the intention of the T-Bucket Forums Administrator to limit free speech, however discussions between forum members will be conducted in a civil and friendly spirit."

If your intention is to merely be a thorn in my side, your time here is growing very short.

As for checking your history, all I bothered myself with was the fact you are obviously not happy with your experiences here and you had donated money. I looked at your account data to ensure I was going to be refunding money to the correct individual. I don't expect, want or need donations from malcontents. I accept donations from members who enjoy the site. You obviously have some issues with the site (or is it just me, after all?) and I do not feel it is fair for me to take your money, as a result. But then you already knew that, since I had sent you a Private Message to let you know your money had been refunded, over 9 hours before your post above.

I've absolutely no problem with those who don't care for me. I'm within a couple weeks of being 57 years old, have never won a popularity contest to this point and I've certainly not looking to win any now. But let me explain something to you. I would never walk into your home as a guest and start griping about the way you conduct yourself within, or the way you operate your home. You'll kindly extend me a bit of reciprocity. I would fully expect disrespecting you in your home would result in my being removed from it. And you can equally anticipate the same to happen here. Yes, it's my way or the highway. I don't care whether you like that fact or not. All I care about is whether or not you respect that fact. Nothing else matters to me. A member here once described me as a benevolent dictator. Actually, he was only half-right, as there's not a benevolent bone in my body. Get over it, get used to it or get on down the road. You're not getting a cherry, here. I've a long-standing reputation as a bastard and an asshole, so if you think you are going to shame me, don't bother wasting your time. And please don't waste any more of my own.

What you still don't seem to realize is that all you need do is avoid any posts that have my name at the top. Ignore me, I've no problem with it. That quickly and easily ends all your problems. And that will allow me to go right back to ignoring you. If you want to find yourself banned from the site, that can be arranged, just as quickly and just as easily. The choice is yours to make. My decision has already been made, so I leave you to your own.

Thank you for your observations. Let me clarify a few points that seem to confuse you.

If you don't like the way these forums are operated, I've no problem with you leaving. You came here of your own free will and you can leave the very same way.

I've no problem with those who do not like me and if I upset you so much, I've no problem with you leaving.

I do have a problem with those who violate the rules and guidelines by which this site and its members are governed. Have you taken the time to familiarize yourself with the rules? Allow me to quote from them - "Members should post in a way that is respectful of other users. It is not the intention of the T-Bucket Forums Administrator to limit free speech, however discussions between forum members will be conducted in a civil and friendly spirit."

If your intention is to merely be a thorn in my side, your time here is growing very short.

As for checking your history, all I bothered myself with was the fact you are obviously not happy with your experiences here and you had donated money. I looked at your account data to ensure I was going to be refunding money to the correct individual. I don't expect, want or need donations from malcontents. I accept donations from members who enjoy the site. You obviously have some issues with the site (or is it just me, after all?) and I do not feel it is fair for me to take your money, as a result. But then you already knew that, since I had sent you a Private Message to let you know your money had been refunded, over 9 hours before your post above.

I've absolutely no problem with those who don't care for me. I'm within a couple weeks of being 57 years old, have never won a popularity contest to this point and I've certainly not looking to win any now. But let me explain something to you. I would never walk into your home as a guest and start griping about the way you conduct yourself within, or the way you operate your home. You'll kindly extend me a bit of reciprocity. I would fully expect disrespecting you in your home would result in my being removed from it. And you can equally anticipate the same to happen here. Yes, it's my way or the highway. I don't care whether you like that fact or not. All I care about is whether or not you respect that fact. Nothing else matters to me. A member here once described me as a benevolent dictator. Actually, he was only half-right, as there's not a benevolent bone in my body. Get over it, get used to it or get on down the road. You're not getting a cherry, here. I've a long-standing reputation as a bastard and an asshole, so if you think you are going to shame me, don't bother wasting your time. And please don't waste any more of my own.

What you still don't seem to realize is that all you need do is avoid any posts that have my name at the top. Ignore me, I've no problem with it. That quickly and easily ends all your problems. And that will allow me to go right back to ignoring you. If you want to find yourself banned from the site, that can be arranged, just as quickly and just as easily. The choice is yours to make. My decision has already been made, so I leave you to your own.

LOL cant we all just get along all i asked was gear size think ill go with 3:55 from 2:78 is a big jump thanks everyone for your help!

I'm with Mike 1000%! I have a altered ego, be it WRAM or Patriotspace or whatever, I can sling wrenches, and shoot long guns with the best of em'! I love my deer-steakes and Deer-burgers.....along with my fresh turkey on Thanksgiving.
Everybody here has a life outside of the Tbuckets....I mean everybody!
I eat sleep and shit cars, gears, cams and pistons! And about 1 weekend a month, I go outside and sleep in a tent cause I like the outdoors, and this country of ours is in bad shape and theres a big major-league ass-whupin headed our way....better get with the program when it comes cause it ain't gonna be pretty!.
NASCAR came to be from the old timers runnin' booze in the mountains. Alot of our members know this all too well! Hell, RPM's neck o'the woods up there, hell, running shine up there was a way to make a good livin' back in the days. And those cars were fast!
Now then......Tall tires call for tall gears.......33's and 3.73's are good! 34's, well, 3.90's, and taller....4.10's. If you got a really strong motor to pull against those gears....I'd stick with the 3.55'5 to 3.73's.....
If you wanta hotrod, got the big motor and steep gears, mount yourself a windshield washer pump and bottle in the trunk, with a button on your dash to water your tires down, and do a great burnout away from the lights!

To everyone that doesn't like Mike and the other members taking up for this country, loading shells and eating deer.......
:butt: :spy: :sly: :angry: :devil: :spank: GET OVER IT!

Don't let the LOG OUT BUTTON smack you on the BUTT on the way out!!!!!! :ciao:

I have 4.56 gears and 31.5 tyres and a blown 540 Chev engine with a Glide.

Its a dopey combination and I may go back to 3.0 gears to see if I cant get some fuel economy out of the car. Currently, its about 3300 revs at 65 miles per hour, and while the fuel economy sucks, its the overheating that causes me most worries.

And our gas costs close to $8 per US gallon. kind of sucks really

Built 327, TB350 w/ B&M 2400 conv, 29" tires, 3.73 rear gears gives 65 mph at 2800 rpm's and lots of low end pep. Currently getting 13.5 mpg. Gonna get a dyno tune this winter to see exactly what this set-up can and will do.

HotRodTod, it ain't dopey...its called peformance! With all that motor with the blower, and with 4.56's..... It'd be a 1/4 mile monster, if you could get her to hook up!
Anything below those gears would be a waste, cause these cars are so light.....with a big horse motor like yours, with your setup, pulling against 3.90's to 4.11's would be enough to propel you thru the traps @9.89 ET @ about 140 to 145 mph. Thats with the wheelie bars down, tire pressure so-so, and her leaving straight, and the slicks not unloading when she comes up onto the bars.
You have enough to run low 9's or high 8's if you had the cahunas to keep herall out.

Chief-T you could possibly get about 18.5 with your setup. Thats tuned for both performance and milage. The more you have her tuned for Go, the lower the mpg. The more you have her tuned for mpg. the slower she'll be.
As light as these cars are a 250 horse stock smallblock will make that car feel like a rocketship because of the power to weight ratio.
I once knew a person that had a blown Pontiac 400 in a bucket. Wasn't a show stopper but a built everyday cruiser. Had a mild built 1975 400 with a BDS 6-71, a turbo 400 and a olds rear with about 3.23's. Drove it everyday to work when it wasn't raining. Got close to 20 MPG! The fastest he could go was 45 mph, that was the last 2 miles to his job. The rest of the time, he was driving about 35 thru the residential sections. He mileage to work was about 8 miles 1 way. He just cruised around looking really bad and cool. BUT, I remember him lighting them up while he was going down the road at about 35 mph when a superbird ran past him. With all that low end those Ponchos had.....it was hell to control....but while cruising and with the small carbs he had, it was a great setup!

I have 4.56 gears and 31.5 tyres and a blown 540 Chev engine with a Glide. Its a dopey combination and I may go back to 3.0 gears to see if I cant get some fuel economy out of the car. Currently, its about 3300 revs at 65 miles per hour, and while the fuel economy sucks, its the overheating that causes me most worries. And our gas costs close to $8 per US gallon. kind of sucks really

If you running close to 1:1 on your drive with a smaller motor like a 355/377/383, or running about 12% under on that 540....yes, your gonna make alot of heat! If I were you, I'd run a waterless coolant and make sure you have a big radiator with alot of cfm on the electric fans.
If she still trys to overheat, I'd come off the front of the heads with a T, then go into the radiator. If money is no object, go 4 row with the large tanks and a double inlet up top.

I have a stock 350 running thru a 700r4 to a set of 3:50 gears that turn 31" tall tires. It is not finished yet so I don't know what the mileage will be. Heck, it has to get better than my suburban around town. I know it will be more fun!

PaulR

I have a stock 350 running thru a 700r4 to a set of 3:50 gears that turn 31" tall tires. It is not finished yet so I don't know what the mileage will be. Heck, it has to get better than my suburban around town. I know it will be more fun! PaulR

As one of our members likes to say......'its about the Smiles Per Mile that counts!'.....

Think im going with a 3:80 gear ratio since i have an 8" rear and its in between 3:55 and 4:11

Think im going with a 3:80 gear ratio since i have an 8" rear and its in between 3:55 and 4:11

3.80 or3.90, which ever will fit your rear end, would be good. I like Rons Idea, on a small motor, a little too much will be better than not enough.....and its not like that little smallblock won't turn the rpm's....

I have 3.89's with 31" tires. 2400 rpm @ 55 mph.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back