Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Getting ready...

Bubblehead

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Hello all, hope things are going well for you.
Starting to plan getting the car ready for some shows and spring/summer cruises. It is currently sitting in my shop with all 4 wheels off the ground and the tender hooked up (hate seeing it that way, but it will be out of layup soon).
One thing I am still wondering about is this- my tunnel ram intake is newer and in great shape, but it has a light brown colored "tint" to it that irritates me. Most folks probably don't even notice it, but I do. It just does not look as nice as the other chrome and painted parts of the motor. Not sure what causes this discoloration, but I don't have any fuel leaks. I guess it could just be how the aluminum ages or shows grime, but I would like to clean it up a bit. Does anyone have any ideas what solution will help to brighten up the aluminum intake? Like most non-chrome intakes it has kind of a rough texture to it that makes it a little harder to clean up. Any ideas? Thanks in advance folks and happy/safe motoring! -Glenn

My suggestions would entail removal of the intake. Powder coating is easy to do or get done. Also there are several new spray coating intended for firearms that are very durable and come in rattle cans. Some of them are self curing and others require oven heating. Hope this helps.
I just thought of something else. A/C cleaning solution will whiten up the alum. You will have protect the rest of the engine. Two coatings that do not require any special curing are Sharkhyde and Quantum Seal. Check my spelling on these. I bought some of both. The Q is about $90 a pint. I don't pay that for my best liquor.

Don't polish it, have it polished. BTDT. Metal polishers don't get paid nearly enough for all the work they do.

Polishing a raw tunnel ram is WORK !! Very tme consuming , plus by the time you buy all the needed supplies you could probably have someone coat it & at least break even.Ask around , there may be someone who has a home powder coat setup that willdo it for cheap . BTW , the brown discoloration is most likely fuel.
dave

Polishing a raw tunnel ram is WORK !! Very tme consuming , plus by the time you buy all the needed supplies you could probably have someone coat it & at least break even.Ask around , there may be someone who has a home powder coat setup that willdo it for cheap . BTW , the brown discoloration is most likely fuel.
dave
The powder coating systems aren't the issue, it's the oven. You could likely use a domestic cook stove oven for a tunnel and smaller parts. I haven't personally tried it, but researched it a bit. Unpolished aluminum is very difficult to keep clean, I don't like to paint it, but I am caving in on the idea.

Powdercoat will never match the vibrancy of chrome or freshly polished aluminum, but you can powdercoat an intake in a silver that is similar to cast aluminum or in a "chrome" powdercoat which does not look like chrome, but closer to a polished aluminum. The smoother the alum finish is, the better it will look as it will reflect more. Either way, a glossy clear coat powder would be applied over the base to give a very durable and stain resistant finish that will be easy to clean. Not sure what they charge around you, but a SBC tunnel ram would be about $100 inc the clear.

Other options are to have the intake polished and then clear coated. We do this often as well, but use a special liquid glossy clear.

Last option we offer is to coat it with a ceramic coating. For this to look good you need to smooth out the intake well. Does not have to be polished, but bumps and flash smoothed out. The smoother the better the finish. The ceramic coating is applied and then machine and hand polished to give a real polished alum look. It's then cleaned and liquid clear coated to protect it. This is how I did my intake (a mid-rise dual quad) as well as my valve covers, air cleaners, and entire front chassis is done (axle, panhard, draglink, spindles, calipers, spindle arms, etc). It's more expensive and requires more prep, but gives a great look that is very durable. My stuff had been done for over 10 years and I just clean with soap/water and spray wax.

We get some stuff ceramic coated every now and then. I like it a lot, as it is easy to take care of and does not fade like the powder coating.
platedrods.jpg

Powdercoat will never match the vibrancy of chrome or freshly polished aluminum, but you can powdercoat an intake in a silver that is similar to cast aluminum or in a "chrome" powdercoat which does not look like chrome, but closer to a polished aluminum. The smoother the alum finish is, the better it will look as it will reflect more. Either way, a glossy clear coat powder would be applied over the base to give a very durable and stain resistant finish that will be easy to clean. Not sure what they charge around you, but a SBC tunnel ram would be about $100 inc the clear.

Other options are to have the intake polished and then clear coated. We do this often as well, but use a special liquid glossy clear.

Last option we offer is to coat it with a ceramic coating. For this to look good you need to smooth out the intake well. Does not have to be polished, but bumps and flash smoothed out. The smoother the better the finish. The ceramic coating is applied and then machine and hand polished to give a real polished alum look. It's then cleaned and liquid clear coated to protect it. This is how I did my intake (a mid-rise dual quad) as well as my valve covers, air cleaners, and entire front chassis is done (axle, panhard, draglink, spindles, calipers, spindle arms, etc). It's more expensive and requires more prep, but gives a great look that is very durable. My stuff had been done for over 10 years and I just clean with soap/water and spray wax.
Ben, what would you charge to do a set if headers that the chrome is bad. to ceramic coat them?

It all depends on the size. A set of regular long tubes is usually about $275, a pair of roadsters with turnouts is about $425. We give a discount to t-bucket guys so your number will be less.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back