Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Headlight mounting bolts

jimbo01

Today I thought I'd work on my headlights. I had a couple of parts machined to accept the headlights and braided wire. In doing so I had a huge brain fart and cut my mount bolt short. Is there anyplace that I can get this bolt that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? The bolt resembles a carriage bolt that is hollow and it's 1/2 x 20. I'm going to check with the local bolt and nut company tomorrow and see what they can do but I'm afraid that I'd have to buy a lot of 1000. I did find the bolts that I'm looking for on Ebay but the price seems outrageous to me. I'd almost rather buy another headlight housing. If things don't pan out I'll see what I can do to drill out a carriage bolt. Here is a link to the Ebay ad as reference.

http://shop.eztbucket.com/Small-Block-Ford-Motor-Mount-9006.htm

I say go for it. Whats an additional $11 or so in the grand scheme of things in building a street rod?

Jim

Well that is the same conclusion I came up with myself AFTER wasting how many hours looking for the part. Part ordered and should be here by next Tuesday. Thanks for the help.

If you are like me, I would order an extra one in case I screwed up again. Then I would complete the job without a problem and have the extra one to put in the "parts bin" and then I run across it over and over in the years to come reminding me of the things I have screwed up in the past. Then someday someone would have a similar problem and need one of those parts I have accumulated and I can feel better about having that extra part.

If you are like me, I would order an extra one in case I screwed up again. Then I would complete the job without a problem and have the extra one to put in the "parts bin" and then I run across it over and over in the years to come reminding me of the things I have screwed up in the past. Then someday someone would have a similar problem and need one of those parts I have accumulated and I can feel better about having that extra part.
Yes, the package I bought will come with 2 bolts. One to use and the other to put in the parts bin. Maybe I'll make a key ring with the screwed up one as a reminder LOL.

Well the new bolts came in a week ago and I've since cut them to the correct length. This is what I was working on. I bought some Mr. Roadster headlight braid and the intended use wasn't what I had in mind. The threaded ends were to long as was the headlight mounting bolt. I cut all the bolts down (one to short) and had a couple of parts machined to accept the headlight and headlight braid for a cleaner look. The aluminum pieces are what I had made.

100_5255_zps7f20fdcf.jpg

With that much work in the headlights, I know you are going to clean up those perch edges.
Good work.

With that much work in the headlights, I know you are going to clean up those perch edges.
Good work.

Yes I plan on cleaning up everything. I'm still undecided as to what route I'm going to be going on the suspension parts. Meaning powder coat, paint or who knows.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back