Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Help with old question :death wobble

RocknT

OK so I got to drive the T and it has the dreaded death wobble.. I surely thought I had the front end right but got guess not,,What I am looking for is the how to articles ,,,they seem to be gone even on the NTBA sight,,does any one have a how to or a link,,that works
Thanks

that makes two of us. subscribe.

Check you caster and toe-in. Caster 5 to 6 degrees; toe-in 1/16 to 1/8. Also there should be no end play in tie-rods, radius rods and drag link. King pins need to be perfect fit; not at all loose. Steering box has to be "tight". If anything in front end is loose it's bad.

Thanks Elllis
Yes sir I have read the specs,, so how do you go about getting those measurements ..??

I had an article that toolman wrote saved but it was on my other pc that cratered,,

Fred check you email I can't post it here because it is to big and I don't want to change it much or you won't be able to read it................

That Sir Mike is exactly what I was looking for !!!
Thanks
If I can get it posted here do you think he would mind ??

Yes I agree Mike thats why I did not post it , I will RPM...

Yes I did ..M&P T also helped me out ..he suggested I look into the centering of my steering box and sure enough it was off center.. I then set about redoing my toe like Linconut suggested..not sure where it is ..but it don't wobble and tracks darn near hands of . I have an appointment next week with a fellow T owner who has a computer alingement machine and will check everything for squarness. Long story short at least I can drive it around the block.
Thanks for all the help

Johnny it is not always toe out BUT for me in four cars have been toe out so now I think I will always start toe out and go from there.............Radials do not matter it has to do with the straight axel and the car.......:)

Mike

I tried all of the above TWICE. It was better untill i encountered a bump then Wow. I installed an ATV shock on my front end and GONE.

I tried all of the above TWICE. It was better untill i encountered a bump then Wow. I installed an ATV shock on my front end and GONE.

I still say that a steering stabilizer is only a band aid that masks or covers up the real problem. If EVERYTHING is mounted and adjusted correctly there is no problem and therefore no steering stabilizer is needed. IMHO

Jim

steering shock.JPGWell i think that their are a lot of factors to take into consideration. SO Cal says NO car leaves their shop with a straight axel with out one on it. ALL off road vehicals including atv's all have them. So if it keeps me out of the ditch. I Want one.

What Jim said..............................No king pin slop, tighter than usual spindles, no slop in the hiems, no play in that steering box and the right toe out/in and that car does not need a steering stabilizer..........

Mike

These things are just shock absorbers, there is nothing magic about them. If your front tire hits the side of a rut or pot hole it is going to make either the wheel and hence tie rod move sideways, or it is going to move the whole car, or it is going to move the pot hole. Guess which is most likely. The steering dampner simply lessens the effect by absorbing some of the eneregy. Without a dampner that energy must be absorbed by the other components of your steering system, it won't simply evaporate. You don't want to put one on until everything else in the steering system is perfect because you don't want to mask any existing problems, but after everything is correct it can be a nice convenience, and in theory extend the life of the other components.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back