Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Hey chassis boys, Part II... what I learned.

Lee_in_KC

I thought I'd start a new thread instead of continuing this one, since I'm going to be covering several topics beyond "king pin inclination." If you didn't see the first thread, I'd recommend you go back and read it so you have the history of the discussion.

First, the wobble/shimmy is cured, I hope. I have been unable to get it to happen under any of the previous conditions. Seems very stable now. What did I do? Well first, I re-measured the king pin inclination properly... AT the king pins!! Turns out the steering arms weren't a very reliable proxy for the real thing. Since I wanted to check the king pin bushings, I went ahead and pulled the spindles off. I set my angle finder on the front side of the king pin bosses and found that I actually have 6.5 degrees on both sides!! To double check, I set the angle finder on the top of the boss, aligned fore and aft, and again got 6.5 degrees on both sides. To triple check, I clamped a straightedge to the INSIDE of the king pin bushings (which were in great shape, by the way) and measured the angle of the actual king pin hole... 6.5 degrees again. So I now know that my king pin holes were drilled square to the bosses and my steering arms are not exactly 90 degrees to the king pins. From what most people have been saying, 6.5 degrees is dang-near perfect! I re-assembled the spindles on the axle and put the wheels back on.

Next, using Toolman's method, I rechecked the squareness and alignment of my chassis. Dead nuts on, as it had been the last time I checked it a year ago. I highly recommend you try Tim's method... very accurate if done properly.

Part of Tim's process includes precisely checking toe. I had about 1/16" toe in at that point. I drove the car through the area that I almost always got the wobble started, and sure enough, I still had it. Of course, other than disassembling and re-assembling the spindles, I hadn't changed anything since last time I got the wobble! Drove back to the garage and cranked in another 1/16" of toe in, and test drove. Wobble occurred at about 20 mph instead of the usual 25 mph and was not as violent. Went back and cranked in another 1/16" and drove again. Wobble is almost gone. I reduced tire pressure from 32# to 24# and viola!... wobble is gone! Woohoo!

Next I resolved to confirm my suspicions that my big fat rear tires are the cause of a fairly violent rear shake in the 55-60 mph range. I still have the wheels and tires that came off of the Jag rearend I bought three years ago. They are brand new 205/75R15 Tiger Paws on stock Jag wheels and had been balanced when they were on the Jag ('77 XJ-6). I pulled off the 31x18.50x15 Hoosiers and Center Lines, put on the Tiger Paws and went for a spin on the freeway. Dang it, smooth as glass!! The Hoosiers and/or Center Lines are obviously the culprit, as I and others who had ridden with me to diagnose the problem, had suspected.

As a side lesson I guess, I learned that I'd like to go to a 3.8 or so rear gear next opportunity I have to get into the differential. How did I learn this? Well the Tiger Paws off the Jag are 15% smaller around than the Hoosiers, so I expected some change in the way the car drove and the speedometer reading. Wow, the change was really noticeable. The car is noticeably quicker off the line and is more responsive to throttle at lower RPM. I did some calculations and found that going to a tire that is only 85% as big around is the equivalent of going from the 3.31 gears I have now to about a 3.8 set. I really like the difference in performance.

So now my challenge is to chose and new tire/wheel combo for the rear while not dramatically changing the looks of my T, which I really, really like!! I'll report back after I do some research and get y'all's thoughts on what I think I want to do.

Hope my experience will be helpful for others out there!! Don't hesitate to ask if you want more details about anything!

Great job Lee. I'm glad you finally worked it out and shared the good info. Will see you in Springfield if you're there; if not ,in Choo Choo.

I'm glad to see that you have seen the light at the end of the tunnel and it is not an oncoming train. LOL

Jim

LOL, I got a PM basically saying that my story was anti-climatic, meaning there was more drama than was justified. Well, I left out a lot of details that I'm sure the majority of folks who have been foolin' around with hot rods for awhile would presume and understand. If anyone wants all the little sordid details, just PM me.

LOL, I got a PM basically saying that my story was anti-climatic, meaning there was more drama than was justified. Well, I left out a lot of details that I'm sure the majority of folks who have been foolin' around with hot rods for awhile would presume and understand. If anyone wants all the little sordid details, just PM me.

I'd say 7 years of dealing with the problem and being unable to solve it, until now, gives you the right to be a bit dramatic. :D
Glad you got it figured out (knocks on wood).

Russ

If they don't want to read it, Lee, they can skip it. No need to bust your chops for trying to help the rest of us.

This thread had me thinking, I lowered my tire pressure on my fronts from 30 to 24 and went for a spin to 60 mph on the freeway. Wow, like night and day, much better ride, now I'm lowering the rears to see what that does.

This thread had me thinking, I lowered my tire pressure on my fronts from 30 to 24 and went for a spin to 60 mph on the freeway. Wow, like night and day, much better ride, now I'm lowering the rears to see what that does.

What width rears do you have? assuming you have "wides", then you may want to use a test patch method rather than the seat of the pants method. seat of the pants method may feel good at first, but the tread wear, down the road, will kick your ass later.

find a patch of dry cement.
wet an area just big enough to get the tires wet clear around the tread.
drive out of the wet and onto the dry.
you'll see where the rubber meets the road and will be able to adjust pressure for an even patch all across the tread.

IMHO of course ;)
Russ

Thanks Russ, I do have some 18 wides on 15 rims so I will use the test patch method. Appreciate your response:thumbsup:
Steve

Lee, I love the look of your bucket but I always wondered how drastic a difference it would have by switching the big and little Centerlines to steelies and whitewalls. I photoshopped it and saved it SOMEWHERE. Yeah, I still liked it.
Then I tried thin white wall tires with Astro Supremes and still liked it.
Then, some Ansen Sprints, but they didn't look right to me. Polished maybe, but not cast.

Any way you go, it's still going to be damn sharp.

Also, I'd bet the Hoosiers are not the problem as I did a bit of driving on Toolman's car this weekend and had no problems at all with those huge tires. If you ever get the chance to drive that hot rod DO IT.
0-70 was a bunch of fun. I guess after 30 years and something like 300,000 miles, the rolling experiment has been darn near perfected.

Lee Did you have your rear tires checked for out of round and balancing?

Todd, when I get the rear shaking going on I can look down at the rear tires and SEE them vibrating at the same frequency as the shaking. This did not happen with the Tiger Paws on the original Jag wheels. I would bet a pay check (well maybe a day's pay) that it is the tires, or possibly the wheels. Hi-tec Kevin has the same problem with his Hoosiers. He is on his fourth set of tires trying to get them balanced.

Dirt-T, the wheels were checked for out-of-round and run-out before the tires were mounted. After mounting the tires were checked for out-of-round and were "force balanced" by the tire shop. Then they were mounted on the car and spin balanced. The right wheel/tire has 24 1/4 oz. weights in one cluster, and the left wheel/tire has 16 1/4 oz. weights in two clusters about 90 degrees out from each other. These are the stick-on weights and are on the ID of the rims.

When I discussed this shaking problem on one the boards a year or two ago, someone posted they had heard or somehow knew that the Center Lines with a deep offset (mine are 10" offset) can flex in the center around the hub and cause the same symptoms as an imbalance. Soneone else posted that had heard that the bigger Hoosiers frequently have balance issues. Both seem plausible to me.

Well whatever... I've already pulled the trigger on a new set of wheels and tires... 15x10 Center Line Auto Drags with only a 5" offset and 31x12.50x15 Hoosier Pro-Streets.

Man Lee, You're worrying me now. My new car isn't done yet. I got the big Hoosier tires. 31x16.50x16 on a jag rear end. Hope I don't have this issue.

You had 18.50 on that jag rear end? Bet that was a tight fit into you trailer ...

Man Lee, You're worrying me now. My new car isn't done yet. I got the big Hoosier tires. 31x16.50x16 on a jag rear end. Hope I don't have this issue.

I "just" finished putting a JAG rearend in mine. I am running 31X16.50R15LT Hooisers and had no problem with them when running the Curry Ford 9" rearend. Will be on the road this next weekend with the JAG for the first time ... kinda ... have been around the block and that was not good as I found I had too soft of coilovers. Got the new ones in and will try again.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back