Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Hey chassis boys, Part II... what I learned.

;) Centerline rear rims with 18.5 Hoosiers. I had Schwab mount them, but they were too big to fit in their balance machine, so they were never balanced. I figured I'd have a friend of mine with an old bubble balancer do it if needed, but it never was. I've had it to 85+ and never a shake or bump. no wobble in the front either…… I feel so left out now ;) ;)

Russ

Lee, you might give Toolman a holler since I know he's had at least four pairs of those bigass Hoosier radials on his car and at least three sets of rear rims that I know of right now.

He had some Centerlines, he had some black nascar looking rims, and the newest ones, all running the big Hoosiers... and I don't recall him ever saying he had a problem with them. I know I've driven his bucket with all three of the sets of rims I've mentioned and never noticed any issues at all on his car - and it was built by a 15 year old kid!

Also, have you thought about mounting the rims and tires on another car to see if they shake too?

Lee are you running radials or bias ply tires. The reason I ask is Pete & Jakes catalog recommend 1/8" for radial and 3/16" for bias ply.
I have followed your post and am about at that cross road. Thank you for the information it will be a great help. I am now building your front shock mounts.
Thank's again
Terry aka dirt t

I'm running radials. I saw the P&J write up and that's where I started when I first set up the front end six years ago. I think each set up has its own needs for tuning... mine has actually changed over time, I assume do to tire wear. Right now with 3/16 toe in it is very stable. We'll see how long that lasts. New tires and wheels are due on the brown truck today. Should have them on the car by the weekend, and we'll see if the shake goes away or I just blew $1100!!!

Simple process of elimination - take the suspect rims and tires, put them on another car and see if that car shakes. Take the rims and tires off of a car that has no shake, put them on the car that goes bouncy-bounce.

Hah ! If only it was that simple!! Way too many variables for this kind of problem to be diagnosed.

dave

Wasn't too hard for me. My car didn't like to go highway speed. Front end checked out fine so I took the rims and tires off and put some others on - no shake.
I put my fronts back on, no shake.
I put the back wheels on - Shake came back.
I put my suspect back wheels on another car - Shake.

DING! Process of elimination says, "I think we found the problem."
Even though the tire guy said they balanced perfect, they did not ride like they were balanced. Took 'em off.

Been driving long distance shake-free since taking off those darn 15x12 rims. Still plan to mount some Hoosiers to 'em if I can ever afford a pair. I'll letcha know if they shake then.

My nine to five is troubleshooting and diagnosing issues. I'm pretty good at it sometimes. I'd bet that if I put Lee's back rims and tires on my car, it would show the same issues he's reporting happens to his car. I really think it's the rims. Not so much the tires. I don't know anyone else that has an issue with the huge Hoosiers, but I have heard about issues with his rim of choice...

Todd, I think you might have missed my post about putting the original Tiger Paws and wheels on my T. The car was dead smooth with that combination, so I'm quite sure the Hoosiers and/or the wide Centerlines are the problem. New smaller Hoosiers and narrower Centerlines showed up yesterday and are being mounted today by a performance wheel and tire shop. They will be checked for out-of-round and runout before and after mounting and will be force balanced. Might even get to test them this evening.

Dang, I did miss that. Good to hear, no, GREAT to hear that it was smooth with the other wheels and tires. Just to be sure, I'd probably mount the suspect rims and tires on another bucket. It it starts with the issue, I'd probably mount the tires on another set of rims, if available. Again, simple process of elimination. I think it's the rims, as great as they look, I suspect they're the source of the problem.

Any testing yet? I am terribly curious about what's going on with your hot rod .

Haven't had a chance to pick up the new weelz & tarz. Mother's Day stuff all weekend and work in the way the last two days. Maybe tomorrow.

Whew, cuttin' into hot rod time... hate it when that happens.

Nah, no problem! tires are 86.5" outside dimension, trailer is 88" inside dimension... plenty of room!!

Lee,

Is your rear end out of an XJ? If yes, Did you narrow it at all? What kind of spacing do you have between the tire and the body?

Thanks,

Mark

Yes, it is out of a '77 XJ6. Not narrowed at all (wish I had, though). 4" from the back face of the tire to the bed flare (too much, IMHO).

Yes, it is out of a '77 XJ6. Not narrowed at all (wish I had, though). 4" from the back face of the tire to the bed flare (too much, IMHO).

Lee,

Did you start with a CCR frame?

Mark

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back