Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Hey IndyCars, hows that motor Runnin?

Indycars

Thanks for asking Screaming Metal!

TB01_EngineOnStand_3081.jpg

I still have not fired the engine yet, it's been done for quite awhile now thou . It was going in to fall of 2013 and not ready to start it, so I decided to go ahead with my plans for converting from the TH350 to an 200-4R overdrive trans over the winter. I've never been into a automatic trans before, so another adventure. Built with the book from CK Performance, which ended up being a big project by itself. Lots of machine work to convert every thrust washer (plastic and metal) to a torrington thrust bearing.

New transmission mount had to built and welded in by a good friend. Used the trans mount and incorporated a driveshaft loop.

FP07_DriveShaftFuelPump_4598.jpg

Got the engine and trans installed in the chassis, but had clearance problems at the firewall, so I lowered the engine in front 1-3/4". That started the domino effect ...... mechanical fan is too low, change to electric fan, need high output alternator, need bigger wires to carry greater current, etc, etc.

FP06_EngineTransInChassis_4592.jpg

I'm hoping for this March to get it running now, can't hardly wait. It's been 12 years since I have driven the car.

NICE!!!!!! Let us know how she Runs!!!! =-)

Will see what I can do! I guess you want to see me hopping around like an idiot trying to cover all my bases with both the engine and transmission brand new. :laugh:

I suppose that video, plus $2 bucks will get me a cup of coffee.

So this is what I to look forward to. Im figuring sometime next year. I should be on the road.

Yep, I bet we will both be damn nervous little puppies with
that first rumble.

The car was originally finished in 1980, but it's been 15 years
since I drove it. I've been working on it for the last three years
steady, 5-6 nights a week.

I'm glad to see the car coming together....after all that balancing fiasco you had to go thru. I was getting ready to blow mine apart for paint and some powder coating, when a mishap occurred.
The frontend got mangled by a trailer backing in, so, I'm having to disassemble things....I'm going with ellepticals in the front, come across a Pete&Jakes 4" drop front axle, spindles, disc brakes from a race team closing down, got a really good deal....just installed a Holley Terminator EFI setup, ran it in on the dyno....

I'm anxious to hear how you like your motor!!!! Hahaha.....all the work you put into it....

To bad about your front end, but you are in a better position than most to repair the damage than most of us.

Well ...... are you going to make me ask? What did the Dyno say? :whistling:

To bad about your front end, but you are in a better position than most to repair the damage than most of us.

Well ...... are you going to make me ask? What did the Dyno say? :whistling:

OK, seems to make 563 horses @ 6200 rpm, thats with 9.75:1 compression forged flame trenched KB stroker High compression pistons, indexed plugs, alum. 2x4 hirise w/1" spacers, solid lifter roller cam with .540 lift @ 1.5 rocker ratio, ported and unshrouded, big valve heads, port matched, Holley Terminator EFI, lake pipes w/baffles, spec. 10qt. rear sump pan w/extended pickup (autocross), crank scraper/windage tray, gear drive, mellings oilpump.
Its a 1970's Ford cast iron 460 bored and stroked to 514 cubes.
It has alot more in her if I was wanting to wring all of it out, but I have it setup to longevity. Just a good old old fashioned hot rod motor except for the EFI. But it has 585Ft/pds of torque @ 3875 rpm.....after 4500 the torque slowly starts going down....

Just don't see that many Big Block Fords in T's.....just wanted to be different.

OK, seems to make 563 horses @ 6200 rpm,

Well that's a shame ..... ONLY 563 HP!
I'm with bobs66440, you will have to get a good running start at those hills. Don't worry thou the rest of us will slow down so you can catch up.
:whistling::cool:

You're gonna need a roll bar and a big wallet for the times a comin' when you'll want to play in the street.- BTDT- Five times licence revoked, plus all the fees that accompany which are more today than back in the '70s. Watch Street Outlaws [BIG MONEY] sometime and think of losing car, money, and possible jail time.

I know everyone says it's just for looks, but if you've got it, you just have to try it once to see if it really works. Think of Wild Willy and his rides at a track, not on the street. All the HP in the world ain't worth .02 if you can't get it to the ground and go straight, which is hard to do in a Bucket. BTDT also. No where near the HP people of todays racers are doing.

Yea, Indy, your motor ought to be making between 450 to 525 if tunes correctly....and mine I'm just putting out a little over 1hp per cu.in. If your motor were tuned like I have this Big Ford, yours would probably be making 380-395 horses. I don't like playing the dyno numbers....I don't fudge them like most do....
Thats like GT63 motor should be licking close to 600 horses +, as Rons ride....

I have run mine in on the motor stand, tuned it, left it just a touch lean to seat the rings and the bore. Then I ran it in the car for a little. Then, after this fiasco of a bent front axle, frame crosstube, front spring, radiator, a friend came in looked and said he had to have my intake setup.
Since I had to strip everything off the front for repairs, I ordered the EFI, since fuel prices are gonna go up, and the e85 crap, I've set it up to run on that. I like that EFI though....
Since I pulled the motor, I started on the dyno getting this thing setup, which was quick by the way with the hand held contoller....

Indy, your ought to make about 425 to 500 horses, depending on tuning....

You're gonna need a roll bar and a big wallet for the times a comin' when you'll want to play in the street.- BTDT- Five times licence revoked, plus all the fees that accompany which are more today than back in the '70s. Watch Street Outlaws [BIG MONEY] sometime and think of losing car, money, and possible jail time.

I know everyone says it's just for looks, but if you've got it, you just have to try it once to see if it really works. Think of Wild Willy and his rides at a track, not on the street. All the HP in the world ain't worth .02 if you can't get it to the ground and go straight, which is hard to do in a Bucket. BTDT also. No where near the HP people of todays racers are doing.
I have a rollbar, I have lapbelts, I'm a old racing fart that builds motors....everyone says I drive like a old fogey....I pull into a empty parking lot and unload the plugs....I have the water system to wet my ties for those nice looking burnouts....

I don't watch TV and hopefully the morons have more sense than to try and haul my ass off to jail. If not, they would soon be erecting a statue to me on their front lawn after my attorneys get thru with them....}=-)>

Last edited:
And the 425 is extremely conservative (rings not seated, mixture off slightly, timing slightly off), more like 500 after the timing is set, jetted, rings seated, and a good syn. oil after break-in....Are you going MSD for ign.? If so, run the rev limiter....

One can hope for a nice round number like 500 HP.

I've got the MSD 8360 Ready To Run, Pro Billet distributor. It does have a Rev-Limiter,
you just ground the tach lead for 1 seconds at 1/2 the RPM. For example if I ground the
lead at 3000 RPM, then the limiter will kick in at 6000 RPM.

Even thou it was new I checked the shaft end-play and since it wasn't to my liking, I called
MSD and they sent me some extra shims so I could tighten up the end-play.

MSD_8360.jpg

ExplodedViewSmall1698.jpg

DistShimsAtGear_1814.jpg

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back