Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Hi from Newfield NY

RBeck

Hi Guys and Gals! I just signed up to this site a day or so ago. I've been thinking about building a 23 T Bucket for several years. Just as I was starting to get serious about it, I read on another Forum negative comments regarding building a 23 T Bucket. A few people suggested to another prospective builder he should re-think building and just buy one already done. I thought that was pretty rude! I thought the whole idea behind Hot Rods was building and putting your individual spin on the builds. I would still like to put one together myself. Just trying to figure out where to start! Any thoughts or suggestions.

Welcome from Oklahoma. Half the enjoyment, to me, is the build. The other half is being able to say ya, I built it. The other half is the fun of driving your build. Oh, thats 3 halves. There are kits cars, and scratch built from parts that are readily available. I think on most Ts, you can probably buy one for less money than the build, from what I see. If you have the time, space, tools, ability, build your own car. You will enjoy the ride more.
Lee

When my brother-in-law shows up with his Vette........I just say "Anyone can buy a car". I built my own. I know every nut and bolt, can tell when anything doesn't seem right. Know how to fix any of it. If ya got the time and the desire to learn; build one. When you take it out that's the first question you'll get asked....."Did you build that?". Always feels great to say "Yes I did."

Welcome to the forum RBeck, I am one who purchased a 23 T that was completed. Due to my age I wanted to enjoy driving it more than bulding it, I still work on and improve things as I go along, there is always something needing repair.

Hi Rbeck
Different people I think. I lack some of the skillsets to build one from scratch but wanted an affordable street rod. While I can't say "I built it", I did make some changes and enjoyed driving it immediately. I am also in for under $10K. It would cost twice as much to order all the kit stuff and get an engine and trans ready. If you have the skills and tools to build one, and want to go that way, go for it.
Look at Craig's List and EBAY and see what is out there.
BTW, I am in Freeville.
Welcome to the site.
Tom

Welcome from Racine Wisconsin. I ordered a kit from CCR becuase I do not have the skills or the equipment to do the welding. I'm glad I did it this way. It still takes time and thinking to put it all together. I find it very enjoyable. The guys on this sight have a lot of knowledge and are willing to share. What ever you deside enjoy.

Welcome!

They probably mean the cost, which generally would be more to build your own than buy one already done as already mentioned. But building one can be done on a budget if you are careful and stick with the plan.

Welcome from New Hampshire. I feel you can buy one for less money than a fresh build but if it's the experience your looking for, don't worry you'll still end up modifying a purchased T be your own and likely know most of the nuts and bolts intimately after a few years. Either way, welcome and enjoy the ride.

Welcome Rick, I bought my car as an unfinished project, just a bare frame and a body shell for $200 bucks. I'm ashamed to say how many years ago that was, but the idea is that if you can find a guy who lost interest, and needs the money, a deal can be had.
I got my front end, steering, and whole bunch of other parts from Speedway, they are very helpful. If you can resist chroming a lot of stuff, you can save a grand or two. But if the rat rod look is for you, it's even cheaper, rust is free :)
Good luck with your project!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back