Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

High Boy or channeled ?

timar

Hi All,
I am starting a new build & need some pros and cons.
I got a frame & extended body from RPM, great start so far.
I am leaning towards a high boy for interior room (I'm 6' 4)
Any advantage / disadvantage comments would be greatly appreciated
Thanks, Tim

High boy meaning no channel, right? It would certainly give you more room inside, including precious foot room. But I would mock it up as much as possible, with engine and wheels, and look at it. Take pics and look at them. See if you like it before you make any decision. Even look at other buckets. We've all seen buckets with nice parts, but they didn't quite come together. The stance is so important in your ride, and body/frame relationship is really hard to change later. I'm 6-1, have a stretch CCR body and elected to channel the body for the look. Then you have to get creative with the foot room; it's a tradeoff.

My T is channeled about three inches. I know that comfort is very important especially if you are 6' 4. I also agree with PotvinGuy that there are a lot of
T's out there with really good parts on them but they just don't have "the look." I think that look that sets the T's apart, has a lot to do with the rake of the body and channeling! Good luck with your project. The main thing that is important is that you are happy with it when you are done.

My project bucket (as in not finished yet) has a high boy type frame, no channel. I shaped the frame rails to follow the contour of the cowl section and lower body line. I too want as much foot room as possible (6'2", size 13 shoes). Also, I'm running the exhaust under the car so the frame will give me 3" more to hide it. The last bucket I built (1979) had straight rails channeled 1" to blend the frame into the body - sort of. A body that somehow looks disconnected from the frame is a downer. I agree with flatsman that its got to sit right. Mine will depend on proper suspension angles to do that.

I have been thinking about making the frame angle down from the firewall to the kickup at the rear of the body to look channeled and have the extra height to sit low in the car. In mock up stage I will check to see if I can even go lower than the frame thickness and still not look to bad from the side. If you get the car low enough, you will need to be pretty far away and low to see the frame I think.

BenT had an idea that he mentioned in a PM, and that is to channel the body then drop the floor within the frame rails to pick the leg room back up.:sneaky:

Thanks to all, channelled it shall be!

Whew!!! I'm glade that you decided to channel it. An unchanneled bucket just does not look right in my opinion. I've seen some that were done up as a "track T" that were "unchanneled but they had a belly pan to hide the rails and a full hood and they looked spectacular. However, it is your car and you build it your way because the only rule in Street Rodding is that there are no rules but you must consider resale in my opinion. If it is too far out of the mainstream you may have a difficult time selling it. IMHO

Jim

Whew!!! I'm glade that you decided to channel it. An unchanneled bucket just does not look right in my opinion. I've seen some that were done up as a "track T" that were "unchanneled but they had a belly pan to hide the rails and a full hood and they looked spectacular. However, it is your car and you build it your way because the only rule in Street Rodding is that there are no rules but you must consider resale in my opinion. If it is too far out of the mainstream you may have a difficult time selling it. IMHO

Jim
Thanks Jim,
I looked at a lot of pictures and the few I could find of a highboy did not look right. Did you drop your floor in between the frame rails?

Thanks Jim,
I looked at a lot of pictures and the few I could find of a highboy did not look right. Did you drop your floor in between the frame rails?

No, I did not drop the floor between the rails. I'm 6'- 1 1/2" tall and I an comfortable but my cowl has a 6" stretch which is something that you might consider with your height. I suggest that you check with Ron at RPM as he is one of our sponsors and he can accommodate your needs.

Jim

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back