Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

T Plans

Shawn F.

Well I thought I'd post some information on what I have been up to lately, what's been in my head for plans and why I haven't posted here in a while. First off, I left my job and have been staying at home working for myself but not making too much money since I am going to school, working at the fire department (volunteer) and working on my business plan (mobile automotive detail and custom work such as body work, paint, custom golf carts, etc). I recently traded a 2002 Yamaha YZ 125 dirtbike in BRAND NEW condition for a 1996 S10 Extended Cab pickup with a 350 sbc/350 tranny combo and a upgraded rear end rebuilt, moser axels, Auburn center, etc ($1600 dollars in receipts). Anyways the kid put air bags on the truck, cut out the back of the cab to make two 15 inch subs fit from the bed to the cab (to save the back seats to fit and make room) and cut a hole in the roof for a sun roof which leaks and more. Pretty much the entire thing is a total hack and he lied about a lot of things.
The motor and tranny are rebuilt with around 50 miles he said (I plan to tear it down to double check). The motor was built for local dirt track car but rules changed and the guy didn't use the motor in his car and put it into this truck. I think the compression ratio is very high like 12:1 or so which I need to figure out how to check. The frame is cut up so bad that it's cracking and just not safe. I can fix the truck and weld up the sunroof, back of the cab, etc but it will need a new bed and just too much work...
Here are my plans:
Pull the interior, Xtreme front end, fenders and doors and sell these parts to some kid that is into mini trucks.
Pull the engine, tranny, and rear end and use this for a T bucket and whatever else that can be salvaged off this piece of junk.
I want to build a low 40's styled 27 t (for the extra leg roof) or the 23 or 25 T with NO bed and just have a nice exposed rear end with the leafs over it. I want it to sit nice and low as possible (maybe a 8" or so kickup in the rear).
I have a 302 and 9" rear end that both need rebuilt and wanted to use all Ford parts since I like to keep Ford with Ford, Chevy on Chevy and Chrysler with Chrysler but may not do this now.
Anyways that is my idea in my head and I want to plan this out very well and build this on a tight budget. I will do the body work, paint and mechanics myself and build the chassis myself to save on labor costs. I have extra parts lying around but will need to buy the suspension, body and metal to build the chassis. I have primer and lots of paint materials, only need the base coat and more clear. I have bondo, sand paper, all the small stuff that adds up.
If anyone here has any advice or suggestions, please feel free to post them up. It would be GREATLY appreciated. Sorry for the long post!
Thanks!

Sounds like a plan to me! Get started and post pics.
Mike in ep

I plan to start tearing this motor and tranny out of the S10 and going through it. I dont have any money to spend right now so I will try to use what I have around the garage and under the house until I get to a stopping point. Probably strip the motor down, look it over, clean it up, paint it and start reassembling it.

Shawn F. I'm just about 2 hrs away and I too am building my 1st T. Of course I will be building 3 now with some help of local friends. Maybe when we get them done we can get together for a meet.

That sounds great! I have not even started mine yet. I am working on starting my own movile automotive detailing business so it's on hold for now. Well not really on hold, I am just not looking for parts really. I'm kind of looking or just waiting for a used body and parts to fall into my hands or run across one or someone that knows of one. If i dont find a nice cheap body I'll end up buying one from Speedway Motors or some place in TN. Let me know when yours is done and you guys do a cruise. I have a 66 F100 with a 351W and C4 that I use as my weekend hot rod I guess you could call it. I have not driven it much at all lately because of gas and same with my 68 Lincoln Continental but wouldn't mind going on a cruise.

Well guys I thought I'd give a small update on my little progress I have done for building a T. I found a local T for sale that I am going to look into. Here is the link:http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=306850
He had that same car and same offer on the local Craigslist.org for $900 and I emailed him and told him I'd like to buy just the body and spoked wheels from him but he wants the whole thing gone. The frame is no good really, all the front end and everything is hacked up and poor welds he told me. If I can get this thing for much cheaper than he is asking then I will pick it up. If not then I will look for the bigger Speedway Motors 27 T for more room and a low cut chop top which is what I really want I think. I like Don's T on here but then again I like the 27 T for more room and plus I can put a low cut top on it.
Also I got the engine and transmission unbolted from the junk S10 and will be pulling it out tomarrow most likely. I took all of the accessories, brackets, carb and distributor off of the engine and found that the reason it wasn't starting is because the distributor wasn't even bolted down!!! :eek:
Finding things like this worries me now, who knows what I am going to find internally. I will strip it down, repaint the block, sand blast all my brackets, manifold, etc, buy a HEI distributor and have it set up. I have a friend who will be tearing down the 350 turbo tranny to look through it and make sure everything is OK in it as well.

That is alittle much for a setup that needs ALOT of work and a new frame. $450 for a basic body or about $900 and you have a body ready for a frame. I'd just do as I did and build your own frame and such. You'll be glad you did. I paid $1050 for my body and I might have $300 in steel for the frame and brackets.

here's a break down on what that T has on it and the value of the parts in my part of the country.

used body...200
frame ...200
4 16" Budd rims ...150
front spindles...175
'40 Ford brakes ...250
'40 front axle...50
'47 Ford p/u rear 200
windshield...200
total...$1425

some thoughts on what's there,
'40 Ford front end that needs a fresh set of 'bones. very servicable setup.
'47 Ford banjo rear end. this should be an open drive axle. check to see if the yoke is on there yet.
frame.. nothing has been done that can't be corrected.
'20 something Dodge windshield. i wouldn't use it but should fetch 200-250 on e-bay

a new body, tubing for a frame and a front end from Speedway will cost more than what he's asking. offer the 900 and walk away if he hesitates.

Ron

Thanks for the information. The front end seems to have a bunch of weld spots on it and he even said himself the welds are very bad on the frame and parts. As for the rear end, I dont need it since I am using an S10 rear end with Auburn gear, rebuilt, Moser axles, etc. I could sell the rear end I guess if I got the one he is throwing in with it. I will call him later today, go over there tomarrow or Saturday and check it out and see what is there. If I like it I will make an offer.

Just my thoughts on that s10 rear end. I would not go to the expense of an Auburn set up and Moser axles on an S10 rear end. They have a very small ring and pinion that is not very strong. The s10 rear is OK in a T Bucket unless you are making a lot of power and can hook it up. If your s10 rear needs axles or what ever just buy another rear end from the junk yard. They can be had all day long for $100. A set of Mosers is $400 then the Auburn for $500. So now you got a $1000 in a weak s10. When you could build a Dana 60 or a 9" Ford for less and it would be bullet proof. I have less than $800 in the 4:10 Dana 60 with Mosers.

Just my 2 cents
vbpgimage.php

when you go to check it out, point out all the unacceptable welds etc that will have to be redone. kinda think out loud. he says he has other T parts. get everything you can even if you don't think it's T stuff. parts is parts. if you can't use it someone else can.good luck and keep us posted

Ron

RPM, I already have an S10 rear end with the Moser axles and Auburn gear. The S10 I have here has the V8 in it, 350 turbo tranny and built rear end from the kid that hacked this truck up. I figured I'd use it. I know a few people using an S10 rear end in their 5 window coupe, roadster, etc and even taking them to the strip and they are holding up. I am not saying your wrong, you are right about them not being as strong. I have Ford 9" housings but they are not complete and I figured I'd use this S10 rear end since I already have it.
Youngster, I will do what you said and get what I can. Your right about other people can use it. I can sell the parts and get some money back so we will see what I can do. If anything I can just pass on it and look for another one, I am in no rush at all. I'm only 21 and have years ahead of me.... I hope.
Here is one I like: http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-1920-1929/1927-Ford-T-Bucket-Hemi-ra-sy.jpg
I like that but would like a spoked 40's style wheel or such on it and 40's styling.

that's a good choice Shawn. very cool '27. that's the one with the copped '35 grill shell. awesome car.

Ron

Well guys I never bought that car I found on Craigslist.org. Instead of I bought a 1963 Chevy II Wagon with a 327. Car is from New York but only little rust. I bought this car to use for my mobile detailing business to haul my materials around and a small trailor with my pressure washer and 100 gallon water tank. I am spending most of my time and money on the business right now and all projects on the backburner until I start bringing in enough money to pay off the business, materials and equipment. Once I'm ahead I am going for a 27 T from Speedway or the guy in TN. :D I have an engine for it though and still will be putting parts together, getting them sand blasted and painted and that way when I get a body I will have a motor, tranny, rear end and parts to get it going along quicker.

A cool car for your company will make it stand out above other and should get more work thanks to it smart move.

Little story when i was in tech school a friend droped out because he didnt have money to build his car!!If he would have finished school he could have made more money for a better car.

Good luck with the business.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back