Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Hot Rod Refuge wants you!

I just ran across a perfect example of why we have a tough and multi-layered registration process in place.

At 4:27 AM, this morning, a user started trying to register for the Hot Rod Refuge forums. This user gave up, exactly 10 minutes later. But in those ten minutes, the user submitted a total of 100 registration attempts. That averages out to one attempt, every 6 seconds.

And that was the only thing that blocked the user from successfully registering. The username had never been reported to any of the spam databases we use, the e-mail address had never been reported and the IP address had never been reported. Had this numpty been trying to register by hand, she would have slid right in the door. But it looks to me as if this one was a rookie, with a brand-new copy of XRumer in hand. I suspect that by now, she has managed to get into dozens of forums and will have been reported by now, but we managed to stop her with a simply countdown timer on our registration page.

Boy, that Mike is really an asshole for making registration so difficult, isn't he? :coffee:

you probably aren't actually building anything anyway and should probably just lurk. It's definitely worth the 2 minutes it takes to open a conforming email account.[/quote]

Wow, thats harsh my friend.Build or lurk......
Guess I'll have to "build" me one of those cute t-bucket kit cars so I won't have to lurk around.

Track-T, clearly I wasn't referring to contributing members of the forum. Merely those that would rather complain. Glad to see you on the Refuge.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back