Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

How do you stay dry?

Seafarer

It rains here in coastal Georgia more often than not. Do most of you use side curtains, trailer your car or have any other method to stay dry short of frog toggs?

Don't drive in the rain if you think you will melt! I have left for the show in Gatlinburg from Atlanta in the rain in Oct. l was younger then but rain makes better stories.

Don't drive in the rain if you think you will melt!
My wife keeps telling me that sugar isn't the only thing that melts so I probably should be concerned. :):)
I have an english roadster now but it has hard side curtains. I get just as wet as I do on my motorcycle but at a slower rate. My real concern is the upholstery getting soaked and water creeping into hidden areas where it will cause rot/rust. Any thoughts?

Jeez, I've been caught in rain on the road and you just get wet. The body is fiberglass and the upholstery is nylon, and they dry out OK. I always carry plastic drop clothes and magnets and bungee cords if I should need to cover it. I've thought of having a snap-on cockpit cover made for it. But no room to stow the cover. Maybe some day when I get old I will feel different, but for now I like roughing it....bucketheads and bikers are the last hard men...and women.

I remember my wife wringing water out of her pony tails! Those were good times. In Gatlinburg one year sitting in Lum's eating hot dogs and heard a rumble outside and see Mike Goodman (CEOs of Honest Charlie's now) coming up the street with his t with his trunk trailer and derby and an umbrella in the porting rain! Man I haven't thought about that in years. Thanks for the memory jog!

Potvinguy

What are you using for seats? Some of the interiors I've seen don't look like they would stand up to too many of our "frog stranglers". I've thought of using some of the closed cell foam we use for cockpit cushions on our boat. My original thought was to use an automotive bench seat but I think exposure would be a problem.

Boat foam and vynal will be my choice. Drain holes in low points and indoor/outdoor carpet or Bed liner for the floor.

You may have a problem if you drive Out of the Shop in the pouring Rain BUT, I would bet if you drive an open car you are going to be WET going back to the Shop at some time........You will not melt and things will dry out........Have Fun.....

For my build the achilles heel when it comes to any form of wet would be the gauges. Electronics and wet do not play well together. The interior will be done in bed liner paint, so no worries there. The yet to be decided on seating is a worry...especially with automotive seating.

During construction I'll be relying on a car cover. Eventually the plan is to have a tonneau cover made for mine. Rain when on the go will be dealt with by getting parked as soon as possible, and getting the tonneau on. Unless there is shelter near by, I'll just get wet.

I have a vinyl interor and carry a poncho with me. [poncho has a hood & you can cover up pretty good with it.] thats for if a get caught in the rain , I don't leave home if its raining.

Rooster tails from the front wheels. BRILLIANT

You may have a problem if you drive Out of the Shop in the pouring Rain BUT, I would bet if you drive an open car you are going to be WET going back to the Shop at some time........You will not melt and things will dry out........Have Fun.....

Got soaked in my current roadster the first day that I bought it. I have a top and side curtains for it but couldn't get off the interstate quick enough to put it up. That 60mph trick doesn't work in tropical storm weather! Worst part was not being able to see out of my glasses.

Haven't melted yet. Guess I'll put my motorcycle suit in the car for hen I need it.

For my build the achilles heel when it comes to any form of wet would be the gauges. Electronics and wet do not play well together. The interior will be done in bed liner paint, so no worries there. The yet to be decided on seating is a worry...especially with automotive seating.

During construction I'll be relying on a car cover. Eventually the plan is to have a tonneau cover made for mine. Rain when on the go will be dealt with by getting parked as soon as possible, and getting the tonneau on. Unless there is shelter near by, I'll just get wet.
The faces of gauges are pretty well sealed , the back of the gauge where , if immersed, could do damage is behind/under the dash , don't see that as a problem. Most autoomotive upholstery is synthetic & dries very quickley , I'd guess mine gets more water when I scrub them than in rain..

I have been caught in Louisiana thunderstorms. It is the waster on front side and backside if the windshield and the water on the front side and backside of your glasses that is dangerous. Around here the roads have grove 3 or 4 inches deep that fill up and make driving like being under Niagara falls.

When i built my car i thought about the rain. Not that i planned on purposely driving it on a bad weather day, but i figured i would definitely get wet at some point. Hell, it rains here almost every day in the summer.
Instead of luan or a wood based product for my interior panels i used 1/8 inch pvc board. It was easy to form and would be water proof. I then covered it with hydroturf. Its a product i have used a lot in the airboats i have built. For gauges i am using Faria marine gauges. I had a seat cushion made from marine vinyl.
I built my car to drive. Like i said earlier i would prefer not to get soaked but if i do i think my interior should survive.
If my body didnt already have the plywood floor in it, i probably would have used a sheet of starboard.

Like Seafarer said, seeing out of your glasses is the worse part. I got caught in the rain a couple of weeks ago but it was 95 degrees out so it didnt bother me. If something gets ruined by the rain I'll fix it. I peel out everytime I pull in my shop and the wife asked what are you gonna do when you drive thru the wall. I said build another wall:D.

I was baptized a few times on the motorcycle.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back