Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

How loud is to loud????

clamper

I've been working hard to get her running. Lots of problems since fuel was left in the fuel injection system for years -- plugged lines, plugged fuel filter, and plugged injectors. After alot of cleaning and replacing parts she is running like a top:lol:. Now I'm curious, the exhaust pipes are pretty loud. My question is does anyone have problems with law enforcement and if so what do I do to quiet them down? I really like them loud, just want to be able to drive around town without be stopped. Also planning on showing up at my first car show this weekend:D.

do you have the slide in mufflers in your header extenions if not they are available from speedway

That is how I figure it, I have my Harley just quiet enough to not upset the neighbors when I leave for work at 4:30 AM.

I recommend the slip in mufflers it still has the low rumble then on longer rides it is more enjoyable. And for us that are a little older your hearing is something you want to keep.

VegasBruce said:
That is how I figure it, I have my Harley just quiet enough to not upset the neighbors when I leave for work at 4:30 AM.

Back when I was a younger man, I got pulled over by a Motorcycle cop on a Harley. I was on my old fatbob and he gave me a long lecture about lowd mufflers. I said Yessir a lot, he left and I went home and screamed at the garage because.....
My fat bob was made from a wrecked police bike and had the same exact muffler he had! the only difference was a 2" diamiter cover over the 1.5 in outlet to make it look bigger.

My how things have changed!

Well here in TN there is no state law for noise. You only have to have a muffler. The does not say working muffler just each vehicle should have one. so things here are very loud.

I have 4" racing mufflers on mine that only lower the decibles about 4 from open headers. With a blower and a Pete Jackson gear drive, it is very loud. It can be heard for over a mile away, out here in the country side.

i run open equal length 2 1/4" headers with kickouts on my hemi. Its LOUD...but not really loud till you stand on it. My girlfriend wears earplugs, my neighbors hate me, and I have pissed off so many people as they talk on their cell phone but I dont really mind. I just let it idle when the popo is around. Theres nothing better then hearing those pipes roar.

2785_1130429375523_1070882471_383225_7237315_n.jpg

Im at 125dB at 2000 revs. Unfortunately the law is 95bD.

I havent been stopped in 5 years of cruising - I just cruise nicely (and loudly) and dont make a dick of myself. I tend to not go out before sunup tho, and usually get home before 10pm these days.

At 125dB, I can still hear the blower whine. With the old muffled zoomies, I couldnt hear the blower whine or the PJ geardrive.

i like the look of my zoomies much better than the 4 into 1s tho.

If I could get the zoomies quieter, then I would run them all the time. All I would need then would be a large wingf and some wheelie bars and I can play at being a he-man fuel altered dude.:D

So if you have a blower and quiet zoomies, please tell me how you did it

I got Hooker big tube headers and a 4" turnout with no mufflers, mainly because the 3 1/2" Speedway augers will not fit the 4" turnouts. I never have a problem or get stopped for noise or piss off the neighbors. Last time I had the jet boat running in the driveway the sheriff stopped by and told me not the run it again. And the jet boat ain't near as loud as the bucket. Oh well !!!!!

RPM said:
Well here in TN there is no state law for noise. You only have to have a muffler. The does not say working muffler just each vehicle should have one. so things here are very loud.

I have 4" racing mufflers on mine that only lower the decibles about 4 from open headers. With a blower and a Pete Jackson gear drive, it is very loud. It can be heard for over a mile away, out here in the country side.
I believe the law of common courtesy should always come first... :lol: YES?

Ted I Agree with what you are saying. They have a Harley event In Tomahawk 40 miles from My house. And bikes are going by for 2 days they aren't that bad until you get that real noisy obnoxious one passing the house.

Well I drove the T for about 20 miles (not ready to get to far from home yet--a trust thing) through town and the only thing that seemed to mind the noise was a few dogs that were out. Everyone else just seemed to what to watch as I drove by. I'll just take it easy and use common sense (as much a I have), although I do enjoy the throttle response:razz:. I am looking at Speedway's augers but not sure if they will fit. I'll just keep driving!!!

I believe Speedway has 3" and 3 1/2" augers. The 3 1/2" used to fit my Speedway Classic headers when I had them before the Hookers. I had to do some grinding and trimming on the spiral fins for them to fit inside the turnouts but not very muh. Be careful and not trim too much or you might get some rattles when its running.

A few years back, 32 to be exact, I had a T with a 396 bbc, Holley six-pack, and straight headers. My neighbor came over and suggested I take the keys out of the rod and hide them from my 12yr old son. It seems he was inviting his friends over before I got home from work, and firing it up in the garage. My neighbor said it make his TV jump all over the living room and knocking pictures of the wall.

There are so many unmuffled Harleys around that the cops don't hear so good any more. I have found that the cops are mostly concerned that you have good equipment, insurance and drive safely. I have been treate very well with over 11,000 miles and not tickets. I have my foot in it quite a bit too. Here is the kind of setup I made so that I have the best of both worlds: [ame="[media=youtube]YBBhOlRArOc[/media]"]YouTube - Double your pleasure[/ame]

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back