Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

how to register a new t bucket?

There are some guys on here from Ohio, maybe they can jump in and help you! every state is different in what they want and need to register a car. Call your local DMV.

Yep, we had a big todo about this about a month or so back....do a search. Do your homework, alot of times the DMV doesn't know squat. If our members there can't help, contact your local car clubs and Speed Shops.
I belong to alot of different groups and all, and I'm here to tell ya, its way more complicated than it needs to be. Go for a antique tag at the least. If you can get it registered as a 23 or a 27, better.
These things are a frame with wheels and a motor and a place to sit....why is hadies is it so freaking hard to have them registered?

That reason is so they can make you pay thru the nose and take all the fun out of it for us. its for all the law heads....& Its the big Co's pushing their agendas.
Ya notice they don't make it hard to vote for their crooked asses when election time comes....makes ya wonder, huh?

Just so we're clear here, make sure that you hang onto all your receipts. Put them in a folder. If you made the frame, show where you purchased the steel. I mean everything. They want paperwork, whop their ass's with it!
Have the Blocks #'s out, have a bill of sell with things. If you bought a donor car for the drivetrain, show it on paper.
They don't care if its a early 70's Pinto motor....and by the way, THOSE motors didn't have any numbers on them. YOU will have to educate them!
Then, after you have that lovely stack of paper out, and show all the world your not a liar and haven't stolen 300 cars to build your T, your next ordeal is to have to Highway Patrol look it over and put their seal of dis-approvial upon it. Hopefully you will not need fenders....or mud flaps....

Sorry if I sound really angry about this, its because I am. They've taken one of the things that made America Great, and have totally started screwing it up.... Hotrodding was a Great American Pastime. Cars and Modifying them have been around since there were mechanics to build them.

I found Ohio bmv info online. All they want are receipts of all the parts, parts bought casually thru individuals must be notorized . They do not inspect the vehicle for safety, they just want to confirm it isn't stolen. Sounds to easy, but they specify they do not look the vehicle over for road worthiness. You would think if it didn't have a windshield, lights, etc. they wouldn't let you register. Once they confirm parts are legit you can register like any other car. Guess they figure problems with the car will be found by the cops.

I found Ohio bmv info online. All they want are receipts of all the parts, parts bought casually thru individuals must be notorized . They do not inspect the vehicle for safety, they just want to confirm it isn't stolen. Sounds to easy, but they specify they do not look the vehicle over for road worthiness. You would think if it didn't have a windshield, lights, etc. they wouldn't let you register. Once they confirm parts are legit you can register like any other car. Guess they figure problems with the car will be found by the cops.

OK, I've been thru this so much, its really laughable to a point.

Once you've been put under the microscope, and the paperwork is done, the said paperwork is taken to the State Police. They look at it from a safety standpoint, and put their $0.002 into the equation. Then, you take it to a state inspection station. Sometimes this isn't the Highway Patrol....but a state office with a state official.
Keep it short, sweet and 2 the point. Schmooze and suck up all you can. Kiss butt if ya must, just get it registered. Sometimes it is really easy and enjoyable, majority of the time its like self induced surgery....and is about as painful....

I don't believe it! I made a post without it screwing up! Mike, I don't know if this matters, but right now I'm running Manjaro Linux....Mint and Bodhi have no issues....

I can't say what it would take if you built the car, but I bought one of these cars and they could not have cared less about the car. Does it have a serial number and does it match the title? How many doors does it have and what year is it? That will be $$$ and you are good to go. They never asked about any of the safety, seat belts, bumpers, fenders, etc. I'm sure some places in Ohio could be different. I live in a somewhat rural area and they were more excited to see the car as a spectator than any type of inspector. Please keep us informed about your progress.

Somebody else told me what I wrote above was only one part of it, that is to get it titled. Might have to get safety inspected to get tags. I will call tomorrow and get the info.
When you order a body do you get any kind of ID number or vin?

Called bmv today, they said one inspection--mainly to make sure parts are not stolen. Every part removed from a donor car to build has to have vin number documented and a receipt. So my $200 460 is out because no idea what vin was. Going to have to go to junk yard and have something pulled. They do not inspect car for safety, he said that is owners responsibility. However, if inspector notices something wrong he will stop the inspection until it is fixed. He then directed me to go online and look under revised codes for self assembled vehicles.
It is what you would expect, some of the things it states are, bumpers, windshield washer but not specific on what type other than can be operated by driver, good exhaust without excessive noise, no cutouts. Do they make T windshields with optional manual wiper kits? I am going to run a under body exhaust out the back anyway, using a hipo muffler. Bumpers? Guess I can take them off after inspection. No mention of fenders. Half the battle of this build is going to be registering it.

I found Ohio bmv info online. All they want are receipts of all the parts, parts bought casually thru individuals must be notorized . They do not inspect the vehicle for safety, they just want to confirm it isn't stolen.

And more importantly they want to make sure you paid tax on every part you bought....

Called bmv today, they said one inspection--mainly to make sure parts are not stolen. Every part removed from a donor car to build has to have vin number documented and a receipt. So my $200 460 is out because no idea what vin was. Going to have to go to junk yard and have something pulled. They do not inspect car for safety, he said that is owners responsibility. However, if inspector notices something wrong he will stop the inspection until it is fixed. He then directed me to go online and look under revised codes for self assembled vehicles.
It is what you would expect, some of the things it states are, bumpers, windshield washer but not specific on what type other than can be operated by driver, good exhaust without excessive noise, no cutouts. Do they make T windshields with optional manual wiper kits? I am going to run a under body exhaust out the back anyway, using a hipo muffler. Bumpers? Guess I can take them off after inspection. No mention of fenders. Half the battle of this build is going to be registering it.
One option is to go with a Spirit car. They offer Arkansas title and VIN with their kits. That's a main reason why I went with them. It greatly simplifies the process. You can read this thread..

https://tbucketeers.com/threads/titling.15575/

When I took my Arkansas title to the tag office here, all I took with me was the serial number plate from Spirit. They gave me an Okie title and tag on the spot. All we need here is serial numbers for engine, trans, and frame. Also just a list with prices of what was used to build the car. They tax you on what you bring in. It is not sales tax, but excise tax on the total build cost. Pretty easy to title a car here.

I was refused on my roadster, because I had an out of state bill of sale on the body and frame. I went to a judge and got a court order demanding a title from the state. Had the title the next day.
Lee

When I took my Arkansas title to the tag office here, all I took with me was the serial number plate from Spirit. They gave me an Okie title and tag on the spot. All we need here is serial numbers for engine, trans, and frame. Also just a list with prices of what was used to build the car. They tax you on what you bring in. It is not sales tax, but excise tax on the total build cost. Pretty easy to title a car here.

I was refused on my roadster, because I had an out of state bill of sale on the body and frame. I went to a judge and got a court order demanding a title from the state. Had the title the next day.
Lee
Dang and I just asked that in the other thread. :(

Guys, let me say something here. Its is all about the paperwork or lack thereof. If at all possible, if you can, use our sponsors here on site, for bodys and frames, as you'll get papers for said devices....that goes along way to pacifying the Gov Officials on your cars, so you can get them titled.
When you build your bucket, save all your paperwork, save your receipts, show where you bought the raw steel, even pics of the build are helpful. Also, get bill of sales for the motors and trans. from the salvage yard or the owner.
I remember beck when I bought my shoebox Nova, with the 283. Bought it for $225 from a used car lot, I knew the old Gent that ran the place, I sat down with him, we filled out all the papers right then and there, done deal, all of 30 minutes. I bought a couple of motor/trans combos from him out of wrecked cars....used them in other cars.... not any problems. Can't do that today....
it is almost to the point if someone has built a car, and they don't have a title for it, its usually best just to walk away unless you know the guy personally. Not Kidding, some of these cars, its almost impossible to get titles for them because all the paperwork wasn't done correctly.
They want you to pay all those taxes and they want their pound of flesh for having a fun car....

Just so we're clear here, make sure that you hang onto all your receipts. Put them in a folder. If you made the frame, show where you purchased the steel. I mean everything. They want paperwork, whop their ass's with it!
Have the Blocks #'s out, have a bill of sell with things. If you bought a donor car for the drivetrain, show it on paper.
They don't care if its a early 70's Pinto motor....and by the way, THOSE motors didn't have any numbers on them. YOU will have to educate them!
Then, after you have that lovely stack of paper out, and show all the world your not a liar and haven't stolen 300 cars to build your T, your next ordeal is to have to Highway Patrol look it over and put their seal of dis-approvial upon it. Hopefully you will not need fenders....or mud flaps....

Sorry if I sound really angry about this, its because I am. They've taken one of the things that made America Great, and have totally started screwing it up.... Hotrodding was a Great American Pastime. Cars and Modifying them have been around since there were mechanics to build them.
I had a 71 pinto engine confiscated by tennessee highway patrol officer because it had no number. Told him i didnt grind it off. Now i know. Threw it in hi trunk.

Speaking of donor cars, in Louisiana you are required to have a "Permit to Dismantle" a car before you can remove any serial numbered pieces from the donor to be used on another car. To get the permit you have to have a valid title to the car and after you get the permit, the car has to have it's VIN verified by the Towing and Recovery division of the State Police. Hard to believe that if you have a legit title, you would need another piece of paper giving you permission to take a car apart that you own.

I learned this when I did a combined title on a couple of trucks a few years ago. The lady at the DMV in Baton Rouge told me that people come in every week with vehicles they have assembled from parts, but without the permits. They can't be issued a title and there is no way to legally get one. Very few people even know about this rule to comply with it. They just build the car and use a single title for the body to register it. It only becomes a problem if you try to do it "right". Luckily, I had been given a heads up by someone that knew the process and had all the paperwork.

Good luck. As has been said, it's a WAY more complicated process than needed.

Mike

Speaking of donor cars, in Louisiana you are required to have a "Permit to Dismantle" a car before you can remove any serial numbered pieces from the donor to be used on another car. To get the permit you have to have a valid title to the car and after you get the permit, the car has to have it's VIN verified by the Towing and Recovery division of the State Police. Hard to believe that if you have a legit title, you would need another piece of paper giving you permission to take a car apart that you own.

I learned this when I did a combined title on a couple of trucks a few years ago. The lady at the DMV in Baton Rouge told me that people come in every week with vehicles they have assembled from parts, but without the permits. They can't be issued a title and there is no way to legally get one. Very few people even know about this rule to comply with it. They just build the car and use a single title for the body to register it. It only becomes a problem if you try to do it "right". Luckily, I had been given a heads up by someone that knew the process and had all the paperwork.

Good luck. As has been said, it's a WAY more complicated process than needed.

Mike
I am not sure about a builders title, but in Ohio, I have had several inspected for salvage titles, and they do perform a safety type inspection and will verify all safety systems function and matching serieal numbers through the state highway patrol. Any parts used on it must be accompanied with a receipt with sellers contact info including Ssn, at least they request it. I have sold parts and had them contact me as well and I refused to give the Ssn and told them I don't sell parts, only was cleaning the shop, and it flew, but they want the vin of the doner car. I have heard that some counties also do a emissions check, but not where I am. They are making it increasingly difficult under the guise of safety, theft, and crime, but I believe it's all about tax and control, the rest is secondary. The insurance lobbyists aren't helping us either. There are very specific rules and forms, so make sure you find out ahead of time.

I'm glad that I moved from Ohio. In Florida it is hassle free registration plus the roads are in MUCH better shape.

Jim

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back