Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Imagination......... enemy or foe? Or, patience, I hate you.

tfeverfred

As I began planning my next T Bucket, I soon realized, that knowing what I'm doing is a curse and a blessing. My first T Bucket was a learning experience. I was lucky to have the internet and years of reading magazines to guide me in some sort of direction. The frame was from Total Performance, so all the brackets, parts and their placement on the frame were predetermined. All I had to do was gather the pieces and bolt them where they needed to go. True, sometimes modifications and a big hammer were needed, but at the end of the day, it was like putting together a model.

Now, with this endeavor, my list of ideas grows with every day that passes. I'm pretty set on how I want her to look, but the little details are occupying a huge amount of my free time. I've changed my mind 3 times on what brackets to use on my suspension? I've got a couple different ways I want to do the engine and transmission mounts! My wish list has been redone 5 times!

So this morning, while doing laundry, I realized that perhaps my REAL enemy is forgetting how long it took me to build the first one. I find myself putting the cart before the horse because I already know where I want to go or end up. So, while I know what the end result SHOULD be, I've put aside the wish lists and dream sheets, until I get RPM's frame.

I'll be placing the order next week and sitting on pins and needles until it arrives. Then, everything will be easy. Right?

WRONG! The old timers were indeed correct. This crap ain't easy and dreaming seems to be the hardest part. LMFAO

I agree that imagining what & where can occupy a bunch of your time ,if I was to give any advice , it's that the simplest solution is usually the best , problem is , it's also the hardest to come up with !! I think most of us who've built from scratch would admit to having more than a few "wall hangings" that didn't make it on the car .. :thumbsdown:
dave

Very true, Dave and Butch. I have a nice collection of "great ideas" and they're in a few boxes in my storage unit. Thing is, there are so many resources for ideas and products to check out, it can seem over whelming at times. I guess, back in the old days, there were limited resources and except for the occasional magazine article, imagination was confined to seeing what the guy down the block had done.

So far, my new build is going to use parts and pieces from 3 of this sites advertisers, stuff I plan to fab myself, plus Uncle Speedy at Speedway Motors, who knows me by name. There are so many options, that at the click of a mouse, I'm on a new train of thought and soon the note pad gets pulled out. That's why I said, friend or foe. I'm just really trying to pin down a certain path and get commited to it.

I guess I'm just anticipating the journey.....with my note pad in tow. LOL

I make lists. First a master list for assembly. Then a sub-part assembly. For example the front end or steering box. I try to do the easy stuff first. So far the the hardest part for me was figuring out where to cut the holes for the brake booster and brake pedal. That and getting the steering column straightened out. If I didn't do the lists I would get overwelmed and get nothing done.

I make lists. First a master list for assembly. Then a sub-part assembly. For example the front end or steering box. I try to do the easy stuff first. So far the the hardest part for me was figuring out where to cut the holes for the brake booster and brake pedal. That and getting the steering column straightened out. If I didn't do the lists I would get overwelmed and get nothing done.

I also have done and plan to do it that way. On Speedway Motors website, you can assemble a build list of parts. I've been using that feature to make a list or save parts and part numbers for future reference. I won't tell you how many lists I have. LOL

Here's an example of me putting the cart before the horse. As I write this, I'm doing drawings of how I want to run my brake lines! Last night, I pondered steering box mounts. YES! Truly a sickness this is, but gawd, I sure do enjoy it.

Changing my mind causes me to make lists also. I bought my car as a two owner unfinished kit.
List # 1......Parts to finish what previous 2 owners had started. (Purchased a few of them, then changed my mind, did not like original plan.) SO,
List # 2......Parts to remove from previous 2 owners attempt and build it my way. (Started removing what I didn't want.)
List # 3......Parts removed from car and my stockpile that are to be SOLD! (Sold nearly $2k worth of NEW parts Christmas Eve.)
List # 4......Parts to order to replace the ones sold. (In progress)
List # 5......Build plan (Will finish car with plan in my head NOW)
List # 6......Things that I will change in future if health and funds allow.
List # 7......Return to List # 2
etc. etc.

ENEMY or FOE? I don't know.

I started out building one car and ended up with another. I was going to go with a 302 ford with a C4 and a floor shift. Instead I ended up with a 350/350 and went to a column shift. I really enjoy doing the build though when the weather breaks I will wish I had it done.

I picked my T up in trade. Knew the car well and had actually driven it a bunch of highway miles previously.
Of course it was "someone elses T" and I needed to make it my version.
It's worked out well.
As I change things I have the old things left to sell or trade and thats keeping the costs down a little bit.
So far I sold the rear disc brake assemblies and cut the cost of the new drums etc by 50%...sold the old lantern lights and paid for the new Model A's I run now.
Replaced the Holley lump with a smooth running Quad so I have that to sell off soon.
If I replace the fuel tank, as I think I might, then I'll have an Aluminum tank to trade or sell.
So far things are working out and the car has been a real joy that just keeps getting better as I upgrade and change.

Also I'm driving the car in the summer and working on it over winter so I'm enjoying the driving AND the modifying.

Over this winter my list includes making larger doors and a top...plus a few smaller changes like fixing the Ackerman and finishing off the interior a bit more.

The planning is bad enough as it is, so I don't envy the guys who are doing a ground up and trying to plan that out!

Don't let it get you down, Fred. For what it's worth, I'm currently building an off topic sports car with an LS1 engine. I have redone some parts several times because I just wasn't satisfied with how it was going. Luckily everything has to to fabbed so all I'm out is time and materials. I've been building cars for over 20 years and it's still is a long evolving process for me before one is finished.

If you had a detailed CAD setup like Solidworks that can model in 3D (and the skill to use it), you could work out every little detail before you started building. Trouble is, very few people have something like that, so many details simply can't be worked out until you get to them.

Don't lose sight of your vision, but do step back (literally) every now and then (as far back as you can get) and look at it. If it's not following your look, change it till it does. Other wise you won't ever be completely satisfied with it.

Don't forget to plan for your personal wiring demon as you go. It'll make it go easier when you get to it.

For me and my bucket list T-Bucket project, patience is an unavoidable necessity, and exercising my imagination a patience enabled joy.

From the very beginning of my project I had to wrap my mind around and accept the fact that it would be a VERY long term project. My very meager disability and pension income has to support 4 adults (long story) for 8 months a year...and I only make project purchases with left over funds and the approval of the Minister of Finances (wife).

Exercising that patience has saved a lot of money that would have otherwise been wasted on since abandoned plans and/or impulse purchases. Also, I'd be building a car that was far from the picture I had in my mind, and one that I'd already be unhappy with.

Using my imagination to solve problems and design things is my near life long passion. As a kid my favorite Xmas "toy",after my bike, was a drafting kit. I love designing things and playing "what if" games. Most of my professional life involved using my imagination to solve problems or design things. Most of my personal enjoyment time for the last 25+ years has involved using various CAD and design programs.

Exercising my imagination and my CAD program for this project is what has kept me going the last couple years (serious health and mobility setbacks...another long story). Most of my typical day is spent scrounging parts and/or part specs...then updating, playing "what if" games, or trying to simplify my work(s) in progress.

If you had a detailed CAD setup like Solidworks that can model in 3D (and the skill to use it), you could work out every little detail before you started building. Trouble is, very few people have something like that, so many details simply can't be worked out until you get to them.

I SOOOOOOO wish I could have wrapped my head around a 3D CAD program. After quickly outgrowing the self taught DOS based CAD program I'd used for 20+ years, I tried several 3D CAD programs. I couldn't get the hang of any of them, and ended up switching to Dassault Systèmes 2D little brother of SolidWorks, DraftSight.

I'm trying to get as detailed as needed and possible. In some places down to Nut & Bolt detail. I usually start with a guestimation of a part's design, then refine as I get more info. I've found it pays to ask if design sheets or CAD files are available for parts being considered. For some reason, it seems like companies catering to off-road vehicles are the most cooperative

As I began planning my next T Bucket, I soon realized, that knowing what I'm doing is a curse and a blessing. My first T Bucket was a learning experience. I was lucky to have the internet and years of reading magazines to guide me in some sort of direction. The frame was from Total Performance, so all the brackets, parts and their placement on the frame were predetermined. All I had to do was gather the pieces and bolt them where they needed to go. True, sometimes modifications and a big hammer were needed, but at the end of the day, it was like putting together a model.

Now, with this endeavor, my list of ideas grows with every day that passes. I'm pretty set on how I want her to look, but the little details are occupying a huge amount of my free time. I've changed my mind 3 times on what brackets to use on my suspension? I've got a couple different ways I want to do the engine and transmission mounts! My wish list has been redone 5 times!

So this morning, while doing laundry, I realized that perhaps my REAL enemy is forgetting how long it took me to build the first one. I find myself putting the cart before the horse because I already know where I want to go or end up. So, while I know what the end result SHOULD be, I've put aside the wish lists and dream sheets, until I get RPM's frame.

I'll be placing the order next week and sitting on pins and needles until it arrives. Then, everything will be easy. Right?

WRONG! The old timers were indeed correct. This crap ain't easy and dreaming seems to be the hardest part. LMFAO

KISS is the best way to build one for the street. Paint and chrome to your hearts desire and you'll have a dependable car. JMHO

I have a barn full of good parts I have either saved from past projects, bought for current or future projects, or switched off of projects. There seems to always be something better, or it didn't do what you expected, etc... My current T project is an old school blast from the past that I made a impulse buy on and trying to bring it into my standards and make it street worthy without losing the old school appeal is proving to be a chore. On one hand I want the current goodies, on the other, the things I like about it are old... It's a disease! Lol. If it was easy, I wouldn't want to do it, everyone else would have one.

Don't let it get you down, Fred. For what it's worth, I'm currently building an off topic sports car with an LS1 engine. I have redone some parts several times because I just wasn't satisfied with how it was going. Luckily everything has to to fabbed so all I'm out is time and materials. I've been building cars for over 20 years and it's still is a long evolving process for me before one is finished.

Don't lose sight of your vision, but do step back (literally) every now and then (as far back as you can get) and look at it. If it's not following your look, change it till it does. Other wise you won't ever be completely satisfied with it.

Don't forget to plan for your personal wiring demon as you go. It'll make it go easier when you get to it.

Down? I'm just not able to get into this as quickly as I would like and day dreaming is making me crazy! LOL

I have a barn full of good parts I have either saved from past projects, bought for current or future projects, or switched off of projects. There seems to always be something better, or it didn't do what you expected, etc... My current T project is an old school blast from the past that I made a impulse buy on and trying to bring it into my standards and make it street worthy without losing the old school appeal is proving to be a chore. On one hand I want the current goodies, on the other, the things I like about it are old... It's a disease! Lol. If it was easy, I wouldn't want to do it, everyone else would have one.

If we won the lottery, I'd love to accumulate a barn like that. All kinds of vintage speed, custom, and aftermarket stuff...and a bone-yard of potential and orphaned project cars. Catalog everything, then put up a Buy, Sell, or Trade web page.

The hardest thing for me has been resisting impulse buying of "Oooo that's cool" stuff that doesn't fit the theme I'm aiming for.

As is, I'm going to have more than a few things left over to sell.

If we won the lottery, I'd love to accumulate a barn like that. All kinds of vintage speed, custom, and aftermarket stuff...and a bone-yard of potential and orphaned project cars. Catalog everything, then put up a Buy, Sell, or Trade web page.

The hardest thing for me has been resisting impulse buying of "Oooo that's cool" stuff that doesn't fit the theme I'm aiming for.

As is, I'm going to have more than a few things left over to sell.
This is a result of years of doing this stuff, and I used to have a shop, so it accumulated. I have sold a bunch, and donated some to friends, and even hauled a bunch to scrap when I moved, but it is paid for.... I pity my kids when they have to figure out what to do with my treasures after im gone, lol, should be a heck of a yard sale!

Being the "neat freak" that I am, I don't like accumulating "stuff". Therefore, you'll never see much around my place. My
"heirs" will have an easy time.

Jim

I totally get the neat freak thing... My garage and barn, as full as they are, are organized. The barn was a big factor in making the decision to buy the old farm, not for hey, but for storage. I have cabinets and shelves everywhere. I just can't get rid of good stuff that I like or think I may need. Every time I do, I end up buying another after exhaustingly searching for the other one... The big issue is my kids do not share my interests, so they haven't a clue what it is or could be worth. I don't keep junk, it's good stuff, hard to find, I just ran out of energy and ambition somewhere between the broken spine and the cancer... Still standing! Oh well, too many things to worry about, I will try to enjoy what I have. Let's face it guys, we are a endangered species. This is not the same hobby it used to be. There are not nearly as many gear head types as there used to be. Sad really.

This is a result of years of doing this stuff, and I used to have a shop, so it accumulated. I have sold a bunch, and donated some to friends, and even hauled a bunch to scrap when I moved, but it is paid for.... I pity my kids when they have to figure out what to do with my treasures after im gone, lol, should be a heck of a yard sale!

It's easy to do if you are regularly doing projects. Back in the 70s and early 80s a relative and I were restoring and repairing MGs...we got into buying up parts cars when parts got hard to get and/or expensive. By the time I got out of it, there were 2 small garages full of salvaged parts. He's continued on to this day, and now has 2 warehouses full of parts. He says he doesn't know what he's going to need, so he doesn't know what to part with. As far as I know he's only let loose of anything when folks buy project cars from him. Then he will part with stuff that he knows they'll need.

His hoard is what gave me the idea of doing a mini-hoard of vintage stuff.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back