Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

In and out burger

You don't like In-n-Out??? A Double-Double with fries and a shake is about as good as it gets.

inocombo.jpg

All kidding aside, you don't run in, grab a bun and run at In-N-Out. They cook your food to order, so it takes a bit of time. But let me say that every second is well worth it.

As for myself,put me down for a Double-Double and fries, animal style, if you please.

dubdubas.jpg

That would be a Double-Double with mustard cooked into the meat, grilled onions with extra sauce.

friesas.jpg

And the animal style fries are fries topped with grilled onions, melted cheese and sauce.

My arteries are already cringing, just at the thought of it. Hold on a second... Yep, my cholesterol just raised 30 points. Take a look at the "specs" on that burger -

Calories – 670, fat – 41 grams, saturated fat – 18 grams, cholesterol – 120 milligrams, sodium – 1440 milligrams, carbs – 39 grams, sugars – 10 grams, dietary fiber – 3 grams, protein – 37 grams

Besides, you sure don't see the other burger joints sponsoring Melanie Troxel, now do you?

If In-N-Out were ever to build this far east, they will have to build on living quarters for me, so I can just live there. I loves me some In-N-Out.

The food looks great, but if the wait is over 15 mins I won't wait even at a fancy restaurant. Some times my wife would like to whack me, so we go out to eat when we know there is no crowd.

The food looks great, but if the wait is over 15 mins I won't wait even at a fancy restaurant. Some times my wife would like to whack me, so we go out to eat when we know there is no crowd.

I'm with you there. I want to enjoy my meal, not the wait. :fidget:

Probably a throwback to my aversion to lines - I stood for too long in far too many unemployment lines in the early 80's. Then again, I don't go to a place because of the buzz or because it's the new place to be. Never ran with the herd, never will.

More on-topic. I was traveling all over the country shortly before I was laid off in '09. To deal with the boredom, I made up my mind to find something unique to do every where I worked. I had my first, and only, In-N-Out meal when I was in Sacramento installing equipment for the State Atty General's office.

I also had the worst seafood meal of my life while I was there at Cannery Row Fish House. The menu didn't live up to the name.

if the wait is over 15 mins I won't wait

A man after my own heart. Rather eat dog food than wait forever. (Well, now I MAY be exagerating.) However, we do go to "In 'n Out" when ever we get near enough to do it. Just can't beat the taste in a burger and fries. (After my quintuple bypass, the Dr told me to stop going there, but I can't, so I say screw him!)

CB

I make to In-N-Out once or twice a month. They have them here also. :jester: You got to get there by 11:30, to avoid a long wait.

Both in and outs in Bakersfield are the busiest eating places in the whole town, there is a line of cars as soon as they open, till closed, and they are dare darn fast at getting out your order, because they don'y try and sell you everything in the book, so what they do make is great! Burgers and fries... Not so great if your Health says no... Why is it that everything that tastes Great is not good for you?? :)

When you see the In-N-Out menu board, you think things are plain and simple, but what regulars like Ted and Bruce aren't owning up to are all the items not shown on the menu, but available for the asking.

inomenu.jpg

The menu looks pretty easy and simple, right? Welcome to In-N-Out, where they really will serve it YOUR way. :nod:

You can order a 2X4, which will get you a burger with 2 beef patties and 4 slices of cheese. Or a 3X3, which is 3 beef patties and 3 slices of cheese. There are legends told about 10X10's and even 20X20's, but I think the best you can do these days is a 4X4.

How about a Flying Dutchman, which is 2 beef patties and two slices of cheese? No bun, no lettuce, tomato, onions or sauce.

A Grilled Cheese will get you a cheeseburger with no meat.

A Double Meat comes to you with no cheese.

You can order any burger on the menu Protein Style, which is the burger wrapped in two leaves of lettuce, with no bun.

A Veggie Burger gets you lettuce, tomato, onion and sauce on a bun. Legend says you can also order this as a Wish Burger.

You can order your burger with grilled onions or chopped chilis. The peppers (which don't look like any chilis I've ever seen) are also available in a packet, as is extra sauce.

A buddy of mine orders a side salad, which are all the veggies off a sandwich, in a sandwich wrapper. Order a packet of sauce and you've got your salad. He claims one In-N-Out employee told him that is an On the Sal, but I watched him order that in the Milpitas restaurant and the girl had no clue. But she asked him what an On the Sal was, and within minutes, he had his side salad.

You can get Cheese Fries, which is self-explanatory.

Fries Light gets you some nearly raw fries and Fries Extra-Crispy get your fries well-done. And for those of you who have far too much blood flow through your arteries, remember to order fries, animal style.

When it comes to drinks, Tea-Aid is a blend of iced tea and lemonade.

Lemon-Up is a blend of lemonade and Seven-Up.

Order a root beer float and you'll get the scoop of ice cream added to your drink. Order a black-n-white and you'll get equal quantities of vanilla and chocolate in your milk shake.

The magic part about In-N-Out is that they will pretty much sell you anything you want. Want fries on your burger? All you have to do is ask. Try walking into McDonalds to order a 3X3 Big Mac, mustard-grilled, animal style, cut in half, with two-minute fries and see what that gets you. Trust me, McDonalds put pictures of the food on their cash register keys for a reason.

inots.jpg

That's about half the In-N-Out t-shirt collection around here.

I don't want you to think I love In-N-Out, but as soon as I pull away from the airport in a rental car, I'm pointing the car for a Double-Double.

ain't never had an In and Out burger but I have always heard they are good. Ain't one no where near Houston Tx. They did open a new Steak N Shake here in Katy about 5 months ago and have only been able to get in there 2 times. Pisses me off everytime I go there and the line is out the friggin door. They used to have several S N S here in Houston back in the late 60's but they shut down in the 70's. Could not compete with Whataburger I guess (the other best hamburger in Texas). I believe now S N S is trying to get a foothold back in Texas again. Before the new one opened here in Katy the last time I ate at one was the 2000 Nats in Branson.

ain't never had an In and Out burger but I have always heard they are good. Ain't one no where near Houston Tx. They did open a new Steak N Shake here in Katy about 5 months ago and have only been able to get in there 2 times. Pisses me off everytime I go there and the line is out the friggin door. They used to have several S N S here in Houston back in the late 60's but they shut down in the 70's. Could not compete with Whataburger I guess (the other best hamburger in Texas). I believe now S N S is trying to get a foothold back in Texas again. Before the new one opened here in Katy the last time I ate at one was the 2000 Nats in Branson.

We had a WHATABURGER here in Orlando for a short while. Many tried it but only once, myself included. They could not come close to BACKYARD BURGER or FIVE GUYS BURGERS so they closed down for lack of business.

Jim

P.S. I got to ride in the WHATAWOODIE that was built for the owner of WHATABURGER. Jesse Greening, who built it for him, was shaking it down before shipping it to him and I was asked to go along. What a fantastic car!

Well we dont have In n Out burgers down here, but if I ever do another trip to your fine country, I will track them down.

KFC (the chicken people) just introduced the Double Down this week. The burger with no bun & it managed to get the food Nazis so excited, that it seemed to be the major subject on TV around here. We had TV stations showing presenter hitting them hard & raving about how great they were, & the usual skinny nutritionist women saying how bad they were for everyone.

Took 30 minutes to get thru the drivethru the other night & the walk in crowd was out the door & into the carpark at the local KFC.

Actually tasted pretty average IMO, but I think the real benefit of them is you cant call them a "heart attack in a bun" :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

they opened a Five Guys here in Katy and I had heard they were suppose to be good burgers. Even Yomma in Washington DC goes to one near the WH. But I was not at all impressed with Five Guys.

We've two Steak 'n Shakes here in town and I'll bet it's been 7-8 years since I've been to either one. I think we really enjoy the things we can hardly ever get. I can remember we used to drive to Indy (about an hour south) a couple times a week to get White Castles. At one point in time, there were two White Castle restaurants built here in Lafayette and we're now down to only one. They were good when they were hard to get. I remember when I thought Coor's was mighty fine beer, too. Now that you can buy it anywhere, I haven't had one in years.

Hmmm, a sack of sliders does sound kinda tasty. Maybe I should go grab some for lunch?

The oldest drive-in restaurant in Indiana is over in West Lafayette. The place was named in a kinder, gentler time, and is known as the Triple XXX Family Restaurant. I think there are a couple of Purdue alumni around and they will doubtless remember the Triple XXX. On the hill, but on the level. Well, at least those who managed to get past the siren song known as Harry's Chocolate Shop will remember it. :winkn:

I suppose the Triple XXX chopped steak is this area's iconic burger. The places it always seems the expatriates always miss the most is either Arni's or the Frozen Custard.

We've two Steak 'n Shakes here in town and I'll bet it's been 7-8 years since I've been to either one. I think we really enjoy the things we can hardly ever get. I can remember we used to drive to Indy (about an hour south) a couple times a week to get White Castles. At one point in time, there were two White Castle restaurants built here in Lafayette and we're now down to only one. They were good when they were hard to get. I remember when I thought Coor's was mighty fine beer, too. Now that you can buy it anywhere, I haven't had one in years.

Hmmm, a sack of sliders does sound kinda tasty. Maybe I should go grab some for lunch?

The oldest drive-in restaurant in Indiana is over in West Lafayette. The place was named in a kinder, gentler time, and is known as the Triple XXX Family Restaurant. I think there are a couple of Purdue alumni around and they will doubtless remember the Triple XXX. On the hill, but on the level. Well, at least those who managed to get past the siren song known as Harry's Chocolate Shop will remember it. :winkn:

I suppose the Triple XXX chopped steak is this area's iconic burger. The places it always seems the expatriates always miss the most is either Arni's or the Frozen Custard.

In Toledo,Ohio(where i grew up)we had the White Hut and it was where the fast cars where there were three of them(Huts not cars) and the guys would race to each(about 15 miles total)They had the post with the menu on it and you yelled your order into the little speaker and a car hop would bring the food with that little limp tray that hung on the window.good burgers and shakes.

Me loves the Steak and Shake. In fact, I ate lunch there yesterday at the downtown Indy location. Triple XXX in West Lafayette is pretty decent too. 96th Street steakburger in Indy is kind of like In and Out I guess. the menu is basically burgers, and they are fresh and tasty. I used to eat there for lunch quite a bit when I worked on the north side.

I grew up in Iowa and we didn't go to McDonalds, we went to Mr. Quick's which was a regional burger chain. Sadly, they went out of business quite a while ago, and I think all of the independents have closed as well. My bro and I used to split their "5 burgers and 1/2lb of fries for $5 deal.

So what makes a good burger anyway? I think it's toasting the bun, and some cooked onions don't hurt it any. And if it comes with fries that were just cut up from fresh potatoes prior to the oil, all the better. I don't think McD's does any of that... In and out does all of that...

I have tried them all, as I love to eat! A well toasted bun is a must for me also, no matter who builds the burger... For the last few years I have found that Jack in the box is really the best deal in town, if you order the JJ (Jumbo Jack) the way you like it.. I have them burn the buns, add extra onions and all that comes with them (flat leaf lettuce, onions, pickles and dressing. and if I am extra hungry, $.75 gets me an extra burger patty) $1.49 for that standard burger is hard to beat... In and Out, is a bit rich (for me) cooked Animal style, but that is how I eat them... fries I love, but try and not eat them, way to fattening for me... the Burger is bad enough :)

Back when I lived in SoCal (mid-70s) the cool thing to do was get an In and Out bumper sticker and cut off the "B" and "r" from "Burger" so you had a bumper sticker that looked like this...

In and Out
urge

Do they still do that?

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back