Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Insurance

Francis Blake

Finally got insurance on the silver bullet. Found a local agent that carries hagerty insurance, I didn't know they sold through local agents until I called around and got lucky, 269 for a year of full coverage. Going to have a couple days in the 80s so now the fun begins.

Francis, what is the agreed value that got you that rate ? Reason I ask is I have Grundy and for $ 25K agreed I pay $170 a year. I just got a quote for my Son's rpu and for agreed value of $ 50K the rate is $ 306.00 per year. My other Son Don has Haggerty and for $ 25K he pays $ 300 a year.

Don

Can you go direct to Grundy for a quote or do you have to have a agent?
Terry

I have three cars with Hagerty for 400 bucks per year, 1956 Ford Pickup 25K agreed, 1923 T Bucket 15K agreed, & 1926 T Coupe 15K agreed along with the magazine.......I think that is pretty good and the only time I had a claim they paid off like a slot machine....well that may not be to good but with Hagerty they paid real fast.......................

Mike

Yes, you can go directly to Grundy, http://www.grundy.com/

Haggerty has an excellent reputation for handling claims very well. but I have also seen posts where people said they had one with Grundy and they paid quickly too. Hope I never have to use them to find out though. All my dealing with Grundy have been excellent, like when I call for info and whatever, but if a person is happy with Haggerty, I say stay there. As I mentioned, my one Son has his T insured through them and is happy to stay there.

Don

Good post! I'm gonna have to finally put insurance on mine next year and didn't know where to start.

Here are some of the hoops you will have to jump through, just so you are prepared. First of all, Grundy (an probably Haggerty too) have two different types of insurance. One is where they insist on insuring all the cars you own, even your daily driver. On that policy they "bundle". The second one is for collector cars only, and those can be classic cars, hot rods, customs, etc. On that policy they will only insure your collector cars and you can do one or as many collector cars as you own.

Next, they want you to have a secure storage place for the car, and that means a locked garaged. No carports, backyard, etc. They want pictures from all angles, front, back, side, 3/4 view, motor, interior, and sometimes a picture of the car in the garage where it is kept. Their insurance is considered "agreed value" and that means you say your car is worth $25,000 and they will look over the pictures and if they feel that is right they will "agree" to that value. If the car is stolen or totalled, you get a check for the agreed value.

Generally, Grundy is cheaper than Haggerty. I have my 27 insured through Grundy for $25,000 agreed value and I pay $170.00 a year. My Son Don has Haggerty on his T bucket also with $ 25,000 value and he pays $ 300 a year. I just got my Son Dan a quote on his rpu and for $ 50,000 value the coverage is $ 306.00 per year.

All the collector car insurers have pretty much the same restrictions, the car is NOT to be a daily driver or to go to work. It is for OCCASIONAL use only, and that is why their rates are cheaper than say Geico. But in the real world I bet collector cars are sometimes taken to work, out shopping, and other places. You just have to be careful in what you say.

So, those are some of the rules and regulations.

Don

Yes they do require a secure place for your car, the day I got Hagerty the agent followed me home to take pics of my car and garage. This agent carries several brands of insurance and is not familiar with street rods and got all excited when he saw mine so I had to start it for him,that made his day.

Some insurances will cover only listed drivers. That means that if you let your unlisted son/daughter/brother-in-law/ etc. take the car around the block and they have an accident the responsibility for damages falls upon their insurance company. Ususlly that is no problem, except that their insurance company is going to reimburse you for the market value of a 1923 Ford, which probably isn't going to help much. Just something to check on when buying insurance.

Thank's Don I am about ready to regester and licn my toy.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but what else have you all seen out there? I jsut moved from TX to FL and my insurance ont eh '23 T went up from $370 to $450-ish with agreed value of $20K It's time to do a switch. What else has anybody had luck with?

I live in Florida, Oviedo to be exact, and I have Grundy. With a $25,000 agreed value replacement, my premium is $584 per year and I have a clean driving record. A lot of the cost of your premium is based on WHERE you live. Some of the worst drivers live in the Orlando area and Oviedo is next to Orlando on the northeast side.

Jim

I used to use Hagerty through my Allstate agent. After a couple years I renewed with Hagerty directly. I can't remember if Allstate charged a premium on top of Hagerty's price or not but that could account for some extra cost as well..

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back