Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Just a thought . . .

cozee

Took a little time to sketch out what I am wanting to shoot for in the way of a body. Planning on fabbing a wood frame and cover with 1/8 in plywood and fiberglass.

Attachments

• CCAB LINE2WEB.jpg
    CCAB LINE2WEB.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 142
Took a little time to sketch out what I am wanting to shoot for in the way of a body. Planning on fabbing a wood frame and cover with 1/8 in plywood and fiberglass.

I've always like C-cabs.

This one os my favorite

Attachments

• 35.jpg
    35.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 138
  • 36.jpg
    36.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 138
Very cool looking. Planning to build one myself next year. Bought a couple of t cowls off e-bay to save having to make cowl. Keep us posted. CYA :rolleyes:

Nice!! gota love those C cabs - I'll be looking forward to seeing your's get started

Russ

Fiberglass over thin plywood is fine for flat areas and simple curves, however it doesn't shape to compound curves. Also, you may find 1/8" plywood expensive when you can find it.

Look at; Moldless Composite Construction. There are videos on YouTube showing the technique.

Three of us built a VariEze airplane using this construction method back in the '70's. We cut the wing cores out of styrofoam with a hot wire in less than an hour, then sat around with our coffee laughing at the guys who were spending the winter months building a couple of dozen wing ribs out of a hundred little pieces of wood with little nails and glue.

Remember, polyester resin over urethane foam and epoxy over styrofoam. OK to hot wire styrofoam, don't hot wire urethane foam.

So it will be something like these... I really like the first one, if I could buy that body I would put it on my car in a heartbeat.

hrdp_0806_cool_05_zc_cab_bucket.jpg

ccab.jpg

Hey, thanks guys! I will definitely look into the MCC process.

Jay, that first piccie is the one I really liked but did a little modifying to suit me. I am sure there wuill be more changes before I am done!!

Here is a pic of one with a lot of flat panels so shouldn't take to much fab work other than the top. And you could buy the cowl.
c-cab-lisa.jpg

I have really taken a liking to the style of the T in the pic below and decided the C-Cab will have to wait for the second round. I have found a 4 banger Ford Ranger for the donor runnuing gear. Now to find the right body.

Attachments

• BUCKET1.jpg
    BUCKET1.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 66
I have really taken a liking to the style of the T in the pic below and decided the C-Cab will have to wait for the second round. I have found a 4 banger Ford Ranger for the donor runnuing gear. Now to find the right body.
Cozee, Sorry to hear about putting the C-Cab on the back burner, it kind of leaves me alone on c-cabs. However your new choice is a cool ride and from what I have learned, probably won't cost you as many bucks...Good Luck.....Ron (ruggs)
DSC01440.jpg

That's is kind of a shame but the new style you are looking at is really nice.
I know how things change... and they probably will again. ;)
I've had my heart set on a Tudor for decades but a great fellow I met on the hamb gave me the remains of a bucket. Since I don't have a thing for the body of a Tudor.. it was a no brainer.
I'll either enjoy the bucket for a long time (as much as our weather allows) or use it to fund the Tudor. Who knows?
Either way.. we are having fun.. right?

And Ruggs: you aren't "alone". You are the main one here, when it comes to Cs! It's all perspective.

That's is kind of a shame but the new style you are looking at is really nice.
I know how things change... and they probably will again. ;)
I've had my heart set on a Tudor for decades but a great fellow I met on the hamb gave me the remains of a bucket. Since I don't have a thing for the body of a Tudor.. it was a no brainer.
I'll either enjoy the bucket for a long time (as much as our weather allows) or use it to fund the Tudor. Who knows?
Either way.. we are having fun.. right?

And Ruggs: you aren't "alone". You are the main one here, when it comes to Cs! It's all perspective.

I am fully intending on building a C, just figure I'd cut my teeth on the bucket thus making the C that must easier!!! My wife just sighs as she knows that when I like something, I usually end up with several!!!! Well, except for wives!!!! I couldn't handle anymore!!LOL!!

Ruggs et all: Does the C cab fit on the same chassis as the std bucket body??

Russ

Ruggs et all: Does the C cab fit on the same chassis as the std bucket body??

Russ
Russ,
Nearly the same, I used a old drawing from Spirit. The only change was the rear rails after the kick changed to 31 something. I also left my front rails long to make sure my springover axle is centered in the front fender and an 8" cowl stretch.....Ron (ruggs)

Russ,
Nearly the same, I used a old drawing from Spirit. The only change was the rear rails after the kick changed to 31 something. I also left my front rails long to make sure my springover axle is centered in the front fender and an 8" cowl stretch.....Ron (ruggs)

That is great to hear as I am going to build a simple jig when I do my first frame and so it sounds as though it will come in handy as I am sure that once i get my first project on the street, my son, at least one of my son-in-laws, and a couple friends are going to want to build one too.

Gonna try hitting some swap meets over the next several weeks and see if I can score a bucket body. I"ll do a little hack-n-glass to size it more to my liking. 6'3" and 292 lbs (but losing, yeah!!) Doing a little more drawing and laying out the design for the C also. Definitely going to be changing my ideas on body construction after hitting You Tube and watching some glassing videos where they use the foam.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back