Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Kiwi 26/27 RPU build

A couple more shots, basically i have welded a bolt to a piece of box which i clamped to the chassis to use as a pivot.

attachment.php

attachment.php

The real pivot will be a piece of 32 or 35mm bar machined to suit a bush which will be fitted inside a piece of 35mm pipe. The arms of the crank will be cut from 15mm plate and welded pretty much at the height of the rough one but they will be 55mm wide at the pivot end and bored for the pipe to fit through so they can be fully welded.​

Re: Bumpsteer 101 -sorry if its a bit long winded

gudgyz said:
I hope this makes sense...

I think I get the idea it's just designing a system that will actually fit on a car that's not so easy.:D

Thanks for the detailed explaination.

I like your bell crank idea... Got me thinking now.

No problems PeteT, thats why we all joined here, to help share the knowledge we have.

Been very quiet on the car the past couple of months, but did a little bit the other day. Starting to brace the cowl and frame across under dash area. Of course it fouled the steering box so had to dip around that. Mocked up the steering box and it should all fit ok now.
Image019.jpg

Image023.jpg

It's been a few months since i had time to look at the car, let alone log in here, and it's suffered from the neglect. When i started it up an exhaust valve was stuck almost open, and would not budge, the rocker spun off and a pushrod bent. So first job was off with the heads to fix it all and put it back together. Before refitting the intake i mocked up the Crossram which will be fitted once the car is on the road and legal.

fronthigh.jpg

engineleft.jpg

fromcab.jpg

frontleft.jpg

leftrear.jpg

rightside.jpg

Got another couple of days on the car over the weekend, Started with little things that were annoying like the trans dipstick tube mount had cracked where it bolts to the block. It also stuck up to high and i would catch it, it would move and then recently it popped out and dumped fluid all over the floor. The brackets now fixed and the tube & dipstick shortened by 8". Much better!

I also started on the framing to support the floor at the front, and to give me something to fix the base fo the firewall to, run the trans tunnel back from etc.

I have a heap of 60x30x1.2mm box so i used a bit of this. When sitting it in top of the chassis is sits at a nice height compared to the stock ford steel for the floor. Down side is i needed to cut and shape a lot of it to clear the exhaust, bellows and the trans. Theres a heap of time in these little bits, fit, mark cut, fit, mark cut etc. Then box, re-fit and mark, cut & tweak again due to distortion when boxing it.

IMG_1238.jpg

IMG_1237.jpg

After a lot of hours of cutting & welding (reduced to gas welding now) it was all in and fits real nice. There 31 cuts and welds in that bit of 25x25x3mm to make the arch up and over the trans!!

IMG_1246.jpg

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back