Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Let's talk wheels.......

tfeverfred

My last T Bucket had plain wheels with "Baby Moon" hub caps. It was an older look and fit the theme I was going for. They were nice. But for "Black Dahlia", I knew I wanted a "Smoothie" look. Kinda like these:

full

But at almost $1,000 for the sizes I wanted, I crawled away. Tail between my legs and crying.:D Then, while playing on the net, I spotted these:

full

I found them on Summits site and at about $70 each. Fitting the all black, dry lakes theme I'm going for, they'll get the nod. The center caps are pricey, for what they are, but you almost have to use them, for the right "look".

And on the same frame of thought, what the hell is with those fat assed rear tires, everyone seems to feel a T Bucket needs? Seriously. Is that the "Fad T" look, hanging on by a thread or do folks just think a T Bucket is supposed to have the fattest freaking tires ever made? I liked the look.......40 years ago.

I got 4 of them toe stubbers in my bedroom lol. I liked the smoothie wheels but you just cant beat the price on these. I even considered just the run of the mill stock steel rim but found these. They even look nice in person :)

If I was independently wealthy, these would be on my car Speedway_Motors_T_Bucket.png

And on the same frame of thought, what the hell is with those fat assed rear tires, everyone seems to feel a T Bucket needs? Seriously. Is that the "Fad T" look, hanging on by a thread or do folks just think a T Bucket is supposed to have the fattest freaking tires ever made? I liked the look.......40 years ago.
Everyone to thier own taste , said the old lady as she kissed the cow .....no one is disrespecting you views...
dave

The "steam roller" look can be a good look, but how do they handle? Yes, everyone has their own likes and dislikes. I'm not being critical, I'm curious about the why.

Perhaps my verb useage was confusing, to some.

bill_murray-stripes1981-1390.jpg

Last edited:
LMFAO.... Moving right along....Check these out. Nice, but the price scared me away. I bet they'd be great in black. And again, it's like you have to get the center, to complete the look.

saltflatwheel.jpg

I kinda like the looks of these. Lose the spinner, just some stock caps. Needs a little larger/wider tire on rear, not to much, but more than on front.IMG_3557.jpg

WOW! Spinners! Yea, those are nice. I agree on the "big & little" look.

I think it greatly depends on the overall style of the car. These wheels in my opinion all work well for the cars they're on.

1923_T-Bucket_detail.jpg
113458_Rear_3-4_Web.jpg
b723.jpg
collage_lb_image_page23_22_1.png
33 chevy.jpg

Ya can't go wrong with a 5 spoke.

I hate that huge rear wheel look.......;)

Sorry guys, but I just can't even begin to like the tall wheels with rubber band tires. Especially on a T-Bucket or hot rod. But then, if everyone liked vanilla, it would be a boring world.

I like the tank on the yellow bucket. Only thing, I think he drives on the wrong side of the road. LOL

Sorry guys, but I just can't even begin to like the tall wheels with rubber band tires. Especially on a T-Bucket or hot rod. But then, if everyone liked vanilla, it would be a boring world.

I feel the same way, choppedtop. I also don't care for all black wheels. They are OK, in my opinion, if there is a chrome ring separating the black of the wheel from the black of the tire. A wheel and tire choice is the owner/builder option and he picks what HE likes and we don't have to like it. You know what they say about opinions, "they're like butt holes, everybody has one and they usually stink".

Jim

I like the wide tires on certain builds. I'm not going that route for a couple reasons, price, and the fact that I'm trying to retain the nostalgic essence, if you will, of my build and use the old magnesium wheels, which will be an ongoing maintenance issue, from what I've read. But they aren't common, and I like different. As for the center caps. I'm with you guys. They are cool, necessary, and ridiculously OVERPRICED! If someone decided to manufacture and sell them for a reasonable price, they would make a fortune. It's like buying a second set of rims... I'm likely going to run 50 series on the rear and the widest tires I can fit on the spindle mount rims on the front. I currently have slicks mounted on the rears, so I need to do some digging to find appropriate sized radial street type replacements. Another day, another thousand bucks.... The life of a hot rodder!

Last edited:
I'm going with 285/70 in the back......however as cheap as the Crager 69 wheels are I may just get a set of fatties in the future for occasional use :)

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back