Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Liquid Rust Removers

rbsWELDER

After a tour of a few of the local auto part stores, I see that there are many brands of liquid rust removers on the market. I am trying to get my rusty Jag Rear End ready for finishing.

Does anyone have any experience with these? I was wondering what brand worked the best?

Any tips or tricks for using these chemicals?

Thanks,

Mark

I have a similar de rusting task ahead of me, plus a few others. One product I've been interested in hearing about folks experience with is Rust Release SuperGel. It's a paint on and let work product, rather than a soak or spray-on/rinse-off product....in my mind more suited to large oddly shaped objects like rear ends.

Well how long do you have? If you just want to soak them for a while (all of these rust removers like it you dip/soak them) you can use straight vinegar, or molasses, or if you are pressed for time, electrolysis.

These options are much cheaper then buying enough of the rush remover to dip parts, they do work well though if you only have smaller parts to do.

For the jag rear, I pulled mine completely apart and sand blasted it, well except the pumpkin, I left it together and blasted it. Once I had it blasted and cleaned up, then I took it apart to change the oil and stuff. Just make sure you tape up the vent to keep sand and other garbage from getting in.

Well how long do you have? If you just want to soak them for a while (all of these rust removers like it you dip/soak them) you can use straight vinegar, or molasses, or if you are pressed for time, electrolysis.

These options are much cheaper then buying enough of the rush remover to dip parts, they do work well though if you only have smaller parts to do.

For the jag rear, I pulled mine completely apart and sand blasted it, well except the pumpkin, I left it together and blasted it. Once I had it blasted and cleaned up, then I took it apart to change the oil and stuff. Just make sure you tape up the vent to keep sand and other garbage from getting in.
I've used vinegar before on small pieces before and it worked great.

All "rust removers" contain some small amount of phosphoric acid as their active ingredient. although they do a fair job of killing the rust, the down-side is that it becomes a crap shoot if paint will ever stick to the cleaned parts. water should neutralize the acid, but you may or may not get it ALL off the part being cleaned. any remaining acid will neutralize most catalysts used in epoxy, polyester, and some other modern paints and coatings. You might spray and think you have a good finish, until a day, a week, or months later when the paint starts pealing off. what happens is the paint seems dry, but a thin layer next to the part has remained soft and has a poor bond to the part.

Soda blasting also can have issues (no automotive paint manufacture will warranty their product if sprayed over soda blasted parts), as well as other blast methods, so my point is…… do your research and understand the risks first!! ;)

Russ

Baking Soda will neutralize acid as will soapy water. No matter what you do if you clean with vinegar you want to rinse it off right away. You then want to dry the parts thoroughly and then seal them to prevent surface rust.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back