Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Loaning out tools

choppinczech

One of the things my Dad taught me as a kid was to return a tool promptly and in better shape than when I borrowed it.

I'm done with loaning out tools.

I always have to ask for them back, and they're always messed up in some way.

This caused a MAJOR rift in my family some years ago ... as a remodeling contractor I had many tools... I started noticing that I was missing tools, upon investigation I discovered my younger brother was just "stopping by" and helping himself to whatever he needed & not returning them... when I went after them I was accused of " not wanting to help him out " WTF , took my stuff back [what was left of it ] , rest of the family hasn't spoken to me since.... oh well :rolleyes:
dave

Another red flag is when someone wants to borrow a screwdriver and a hammer. What, your going to use my hammer on my screwdriver?
Sorry, I don't lone out screwdrivers to be used as chisels. I would lone out an occasional tool for some of my regular customers. I only asked them to lay it on the counter when done. Do not put it away, I would rather do that myself, so I can find it when I need it. In 22 years in business, I only lost one screwdriver to a customer. Boy, did he pay over and over for that when I serviced his motorcycle.
Lee

I stopped it when I told whoever wanted to borrow anything that first I get 1 free night with their; (pick one) mother/sister/daughter/wife/niece/granddaughter. Lost a really good friend from my childhood, but his wife was sure a lotta fun. ;)

Loaning tools when you get older is especially risky.......Now, who did I loan my flaring tool to??? Hmmmmmmm.

Yeah, I loaned my valve spring compressor to someone and now can't remember who.:rolleyes: I don't use it often enough I guess. Had to have been one of my "friends", since I don't loan to strangers. I guess they felt like they needed it worse than me.:mad:

During 20 years on the east side of Fort Worth I loaned out a huge number of tools to various people. They usually borrowed then in the early morning hours before I got there. Guess they always forgot to bring their keys as there was always a hole cut through one of the walls. Also seems they forgot to return any of them but that's probably just a mistake as I know their intentions were good. Finally just quit buying tools. Can't weld it then I didn't work on it.

George

I learned long ago not to loan my tools out. They either came back broken or not come back at all,sad part there was never a thank you orsorry I broke it.

I have to admit I am currently a borrower. It takes a lot of trust to loan anything to someone else. I very much appreciate meangreen for allowing me to use his engine stand and mock up wheels. Without them I would not be where I am at with my build. I have loaned things out in the past and never gotten them back so I know how much that sucks. I refuse to put meangreen through that so I will return them as soon as I am done and probably take him and his better half to dinner as a small thank you. That is how I roll.

I very rarely borrow tools,I don't like to loan tools either so it only makes sense. I used to only loan tools to friends and some how I lost my engine stand a few years ago. Obviously someone borrowed it and never returned it but I don't know who. I don't lend money to people either for the same reasons. As soon as you want your money or tools back all of a sudden you are an a-hole. Screw that, buy your own tools or bring it to my house and you can use my tools in my driveway but that's it.

I myself don't borrow tools, but my 17-year-old son is another matter. He borrows MY tools all the time and never (well, hardly ever) puts them back where he found them. Usually they get sucked into the black hole of chaos that is his work area. He is a mechanic at the local bike shop (and a damn good one, too) and I'll bet he doesn't do stuff like that at work. If he doesn't mend his ways I'm going to have to lock everything up! Any ideas, guys? All will be greatly appreciated!

Be good dad and buy him his own complete set........then, lock yours up!!!!! My dad bought me my first set of tools when I was in grade school. Seems your son and I were a lot a like. Of course, now that I'm in my 60's I can't always remember where I put my tools.

All the guys in my shop know better. I have 3 -72" rollarounds with top boxes, several 7-8 drawer service carts. Every year @ Christmas time, I give them a tool bonus, besides the their Christmas Bonus, can use it however they want.
I told them I don't condone borrowing tools. my guys are pros, they have their own work areas, etc. We also have tool purchase programs, so if someone asks to borrow a tool.... I look at them and smile.
I have a tool room, where they can sign things out....guess what....they don't return it, they bought it. I don't go around asking about the tools. Its deducted outta their pay....
We're not in Jr. High anymore....

[QUOTE

I have a tool room, where they can sign things out....guess what....they don't return it, they bought it. I don't go around asking about the tools. Its deducted outta their pay....
We're not in Jr. High anymore....[/QUOTE]

Amen brother!! I gave my oldest son my tools,[new boxes cost $15,000.00--plus every tool and specialty tool for Ford-GM-and Chrysler up to the 2000s I could buy. Life was good when you had EVERYTHING you needed at your disposal to do the job at hand. He found out not to loan tools because no one returned them even when they didn't ask. Had to start locking up the boxes[pain in the ass] every time he needed something. Supervisor said for him to loan tools to other workers so they could get job done. I stepped in and told the supervisor to put a $100,00.00 bond up for the tools and he would place a claim for un returned/broken tools every month. State DOT wouldn't do it[figure that]. Son soon left because of the harassment from supervisor and fellow employees. Law suit followed and they got the shaft for being D"""""""Heads. Son now has a job at a manufacturing plant and doesn't loan tools to anyone. He just does the job himself if it takes not loaning his tools out.

Granted everyone doesn't have what I had, but no one ever appreciates anything until they have to PAY FOR IT!! I replaced my tools with mostly cheap tools and boxes for I don't use them to make a living anymore. Have you priced a 3 3/16 socket lately? Just to show how many tools were in that box, just sockets[450 total or more]-wrenches[250 or more]-etc.etc. Everything from a/c compressor tools to anti-lock brake tools to scanners for GM- Ford and Chrysler . Do not miss doing THAT for a living.

One Ford dealership I worked at had 2 flat head engines out back so when a mechanic got frustrated, the shop foreman would lead him out back to pray over these 2 engines so he would not have to grind the valves in them. if you are OLD ENOUGH to remember what I'm talking about!! Valve spring tool come to mind?

Every time I borrowed something[trailers mostly] they would break/flat tire/bearings/ I would fix them before returning them. Much younger then and didn't know better. Owning your own stuff is far better than borrowing any day, so stop borrowing and get to buying even if it is used only once, you can always sell it or give it to someone else that might use it more often. Ever borrow money, to pay back later? Never could find the money to pay it back with. Just do without SOMETHING until you get your next paycheck and then you will learn how to manage whet you have. Off my box now!!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back