Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Lost my best friend today

This little girl is a charmer, no two ways about it. She is slipping right into the routine of things, around here. Last night was her first night alone, whilst I was at work, so her little, squeaking mews were all I heard when I got home. And she has been stuck to me like glue, ever since.

To show you the kind of luck I have, we buried Cricket, yesterday afternoon. She was stricken with some sort of respiratory ailment. I rushed her to the vet, where they were giving her oxygen and an I.V., but she did not survive. That is two kitties lost, in 9 days time.

I'm starting to think someone has hung a 'kick me' sign on my back.

Hang in there my friend.

Jim

Hang tough....it'll get better. One will pop into your life and make that bad feeling go away.
About 3 months ago, I lost my dog, my best friend, after 14 years....went everywhere with me, the most well known dog in this part of the country. Bank, parts places, drug stores, 2 grocery stores, several auto shops, welding and machine shops, everybody knew her. At Vegas an NY, there at several hotels they ask about her and the cooks enjoyed making her pasta....everyone though she was a working dog.
Yep, they will leave a hole in your life when they go....

Hey, Mike;

Just checking in to see how you are. Forgot to mention in last post, maybe another way to look at things is; kind of luck you have is: having a kitty find you, love you, & *get* love from you, for (the last) 9 days of her life (unbeknownst to her). Not many people, nor critters, do.

Life hung a 'kick me' sign on you? Sounds like a "love me" sign instead. Life is "interesting" at times, & depending on how you look at it, at different times... I *do* understand the depression aspect of it...

Hope you find another one, to fill *both* your & kitties' voids.

Marcus...

Slowly, but surely, I am getting things ready to try all of this again.

As part of the diagnosis on wee Cricket, the doctor ran a serum test on her blood and saw a slight positive for panleukopenia (a.k.a. feline distemper). In all honesty, she showed none of the other symptoms of panleukopenia, and the vet felt the slight positive was caused by a vaccination she had received a few days before she adopted me. (Don't get me started on vaccinations. :mad:) But panleukopenia is scary contagious and is almost always deadly to young kittens. As a result, I am scrubbing this place with some really powerful disinfectants. I have one disinfectant that can kill any virus, when misted on at a mixture of 2 ounces per gallon of water, so I am mixing at 4 ounces per gallon. I am scrubbing with a disinfectant and scalding water, two times, then misting everything with the final disinfectant and allowing it to air dry. Once I am finished with all the hard surfaces, then I will be steam-cleaning the carpets, the furniture and the bed. After that process, I will go back over everything and misting with disinfectant, one last time. By that time, I will be the only thing left alive in this place. I've already tossed all of the old toys, the old food and water bowls and the old litterboxes out, so nothing is left that could be infected with anything. It sounds like a lot of work for something that cannot be proven, but I am not wanting to run any more risks.

I already have a local shelter on the look-out for me. I have them watching for two (yes, I said 'two') female, sibling kittens. I am hoping to get a pair of gray and white domestics, but that is not as important as the requirement for them to be litter mates. I want them to be siblings, so they will know one another well, so they will always have built-in playmates and so they never have to go through the adjustment of losing each other. One of the kittens will be named Angel, whilst the other will be named Cricket.

I figure this will not only honor my girls, but will also give me some company around here. It is just taking a lot of work to get things ready.

Well, the plan to get sisters is coming apart, primarily because this little girl came available.

angel2006.jpg

The rescue is still looking for a suitable playmate for this little girl, so I am still going to end up with 2 kitties. They have a Torti Persian being fostered in the same home, but I'm just not down for all the maintenance issues that come along with Persians. Too much hair, watery eyes from sinus issues, too much hair, the threat of kidney crystals and too much hair. And as if all that is not bad enough, had I mentioned Persians just have too much hair? :whistling:

This little girl is just 12 months old and will be named Angel (short for Angel II), after the silver Persian I lost back in October.

angel2002.jpg

The young lady fostering Angel II said she loves people, loves other kitties and even gets along with dogs, so I am hoping we'll have a pretty seamless transition into this place. The word I got is this one is still full of kitten and loves to play, play, play.

angel2003.jpg

One thing is certain, in just a little over 30 hours, this little girl will be able to say goodbye to the bars and the crates, because she won't ever be caged up, ever again. I get a new pal for Christmas and her Christmas gift will be complete freedom in her new, forever home.

Well, I have been dancing the happy dance for the last few minutes. Because the girls at the shelter took a chance and sent me a photo of a little girl they have been hiding from me.

Meet Angel II's new playmate -

Cricket2001.jpg

Cricket2002.jpg

If you are seeing the very distinct similarity between this young lady and the little girl in this post, there is good reason. Because this young lady is Cricket's sister. The girls at the shelter knew I was gutted when Cricket passed away. They knew I was looking for a kitten with Cricket's disposition, but they held photos of this girl back, for fear the similarities would just raise bad memories for me.

Seeing these photos caught me off guard, because this girl does look just like her sister, but that is what sold me on her. I thought Cricket was a wee beauty, so naturally, I feel this same about this girl.

I now have bit of a quandary, because I intended to name the second kitty Cricket II. I may still do that, but it will be a little strange, since her sister had the same name.

Starting tomorrow, I am officially kicking all of 2013's bad ju-ju to the curb. I am finished with bad luck, enough is enough. Will things be a little hectic around here, from now on? Oh, yeah, Baby!

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today. Secure the toilet paper and put in scratching posts.
Oh, and cat toys. Lots and lots of cat toys. They'll probably end up in the toy boxes just as happy.

Becoming a regular cat laddy, eh?

They'll be fine. Now the roadster.

John

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back