Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Low Slung T

Mine is on frame rail, driver side. Missouri regs aren't too specific about location, but a State issued VIN plate is required, even if your car already has a VIN from another state.

MO VIN plate.jpg

My first appointment of the titling/registration process is scheduled for Dec 2. That’s for the local sheriffs department to check that I actually own it. From there I go to the TX DMV to get a VIN assigned, then to an ASE master tech for and inspection and finally to the Tax office to give them all my money and get a title. Fingers crossed for smooth sailing but it’s going to take time because of COVID and everywhere requiring appointments. Hoping to have all that done by the middle to the end of December.

Please keep us posted on the Texas More-than-Two-Steps to getting your car titled. I am very interested in what all you have to do.

Kevinrevin - I got the below info from one of our fellow members here. He lives in the county next to me. Plus I have some documents from the tax office I can send if you’d like.

“1. Get it insured, minimum coverage for now. I went thru my regular insurance.
2. Go to the closest Tax Assessor for the county you live in. They have all the forms and can tell you the order in which you need them completed, what is to be done first.
3. I had to trailer mine to the local Sheriffs Dept. auto theft unit (they will want to hear it run I bet), so they could verify it did not have an existing VIN number on it and none of the parts were stolen. Take all your documentation (Do not let anyone keep the Original of anything) ask me how I know.
3. It will need to be weighed. I took mine to the closet truck scale and got a certified weight certificate.
4. Take all documentation, weight certificate, signed form from Sheriff form to the Texas DPS in downtown Houston. That is where you will apply for a VIN number if it needs one.
5. Trailer the car to a Texas Certified Mechanic (in all 8 areas of Auto Mechanics) and they have to inspect it for road safety (Brakes, Lights etc....).
5. Once you have a VIN, signed off Master Mechanic Form,go back to the County Tax Assessor and apply for your Tag. Be very aware which tagyou apply for.

The Assembled and Rebuilt VehicleManual - Title Requirements forAssembled and Rebuilt Vehicles

Was available online. It has all therequirements. It is the one that is being updated. You may be able to find an older version out on the net. You can go and talk to the County Tax Assessor and they should be able to print out thelatest they are using.”

My first appointment of the titling/registration process is scheduled for Dec 2. That’s for the local sheriffs department to check that I actually own it. From there I go to the TX DMV to get a VIN assigned, then to an ASE master tech for and inspection and finally to the Tax office to give them all my money and get a title. Fingers crossed for smooth sailing but it’s going to take time because of COVID and everywhere requiring appointments. Hoping to have all that done by the middle to the end of December.
Red tape is never fun. Hope for the best!

Radiator fan is all fixed up and not running anymore. But then there was the new issue with the headlight fuse blowing. Found the short and hoping it was just loose terminals that ended up touching each other. I fixed it but am left wonder why it happened in the first place and if it’ll just happen again.
1A12AF07-8E2B-45C2-A9B8-4D8DF7C397B1.jpeg

You can crimp, You can solder or you can do both !!! It sure looks and performs much cleaner
if you do like SPANKY is showing you in his post.

You don't need to buy those cheap insulated terminals that you find locally. But if you do, then
grab them with some needle nose pliers and pull the insulation off.

Or you can buy them without insulation and add shrink wrap them after you crimp and/or solder
them. Don't ask which is best, that will start a fight over which one is best. :eek: Just listen to me I
know best !!! LOL !

I use red for Positive connections
I use black for Ground connetions
I use clear for labels, to keep them securely fixed on the wire.

upload_2020-11-14_22-10-51.png

Good places to buy terminal connectors ....

CrimpSupply.com | In Stock and Available to Ship Today
Del City - Electrical Supplies & Professional Grade Wiring Products
Waytek | 12V Electrical Components Distributor

ShrinkWrapInventory.jpg

If you have connections with screws to tighten against the wire, the read below ....

Should You Use Wire Ferrules ???

Last edited:

FP10_TubingCutter_5155.jpg
FP10_GroundCableInstalled_5170.jpg
FP01_Molex_Industrial_BarrelTypes.jpg
FP01_Terminals-CrimpTypes.jpg
FP01_Terminals-ClosedBarrell.jpg
FP01_Terminals-ClosedBarrell.jpg
FP01_Terminals-OpenBarrell.jpg

Last edited:
I did a lot of wiring on my last project ( 06 Miata with 07 mustang 4.0L v6 ). I used shrink tubing + solder. I would remove the plastic from the open barrel terminal. I would slide a piece of shrink tubing on the wire & slide the tubing back away from the end of the wire. I would remove about 1/2 " of the wire's coating , then i would push the bared wire end into the barrel terminal & crimp it. I would place the solder on the open / split side of the barrel terminal. After i soldered the area , i would wait for the barrel terminal to cool down. Then i would slide the shrink tubing over the barrel terminal & shrink it with a Bic lighter.

I use crimps that have shrink sleeves on them too. My brother in law who worked on airplanes gave me a supply. They seem to work well.

I use crimps that have shrink sleeves on them too. My brother in law who worked on airplanes gave me a supply. They seem to work well.
Rub it in why don't you !!! We know you have friends on high places ! :p

What you do if you need to spice wires together for grounds and gauges.
I did a lot of wiring on my last project ( 06 Miata with 07 mustang 4.0L v6 ). I used shrink tubing + solder. I would remove the plastic from the open barrel terminal. I would slide a piece of shrink tubing on the wire & slide the tubing back away from the end of the wire. I would remove about 1/2 " of the wire's coating , then i would push the bared wire end into the barrel terminal & crimp it. I would place the solder on the open / split side of the barrel terminal. After i soldered the area , i would wait for the barrel terminal to cool down. Then i would slide the shrink tubing over the barrel terminal & shrink it with a Bic lighter.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back