Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

MADE IN CHINA VALVE COVERS

CARS34PHORD

Hey guys I put some chrome valve covers on my s/b chevy engine in my T-bucket. Tall chrome style . And my rocker arms rub on the inside,not all of them just a few on each head. the cam has 504 lift stock style rockers anyone have this problem or did I get the only set of covers that are to narrow

Without sounding like a dick, you didn't put them on upside down did you?. Seriously, looking end on , stock and a lot of aftermarket covers are perpendicular to the mounting flange on the top/manifold side , and have a slight angle on the outwards side. If they're on upside down the rockers will hit. (especially alloy ones) .
PS 500" plus is a big cam to be running with stock style rockers , even "long slots" how'd you do that?

If things won't clear with those suggestions, look at doubling the gaskets.

Do as per RR and RPM..:thumbsup:..good advice. And While your there at the valve covers, and if you still have problems, theres a thick reenforced lifetime valvecover gasket. They are about $20 or $30 bucks, they're a sorta MLS type, but they seal good and hold up to alot of punishment. They are really thick, height wise.
There are always the Valve cover spacers, too

Ya know, back 20 years ago, the tall Moroso's were great quality and cheap. I had the opportunity recently to look carefully at a new set for a customer....man, things have changed. Then there were the Summits that were inexpensive and looked good....now there are no inexpensive ones.
I used to do alum. ones for some of the racing motors to quieten the valve rattle some....
You gotta admit, we're teaching the Chinese just like we taught the Japanese after WWII....go fugure.....

Last edited:
Golly is correct, make sure they're installed correctly. Its hard to see, unless you lay them on a flat work bench.

Golly is correct, make sure they're installed correctly. Its hard to see, unless you lay them on a flat work bench.
put on with slots for manifold clearance on top manifold edge .
I have put a set of Summit alumn covers on no problems now. Got to looking at the china made chrome covers an there are sunk in on both sides. Dipped in just a small amount on the sides , one cove more so then the other. Also stock z28 offroad cam has over .500" valve lift with long slot rockers

I had the same thing happen with a set of Chevrolet aluminum valve covers
Switched to the "cheap" stamped steel cover and noise went away
On the aluminum covers I could actually see the left cover go back and forth with the rocker arm

On the aluminum covers I could actually see the left cover go back and forth with the rocker arm
o_O

Well, I try to give folks 14 diff. kinds of hell when they screw up bigtime like that....that manifold that had the core shift in it, looked at the last 2 intake ports on the drives side, were almost completely off the edge.
You didn't even have to put it on the motor....thats how far off it was....
There was a paper thin piece between the ports and the last bolthole.
I called them and asked for the inspector.... and just for that screwup, we're gonna dock him 2 eggrolls on his lunchbreak...:whistling:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back