Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Marine Pleated Vinyl

bobs66440

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
I've been looking for an affordable way to upholster my interior but have it still look good. I have never attempted this and really don't have much of an imagination for it.

I see that pleated marine vinyl is available for about $30-$35/yd (51") in colors. I was going to carpet the floor then apply foam to the walls then the pleated vinyl onto the foam. Has anyone done this, or have any other low buck/quality looking ideas to do an interior? I'm not looking for anything custom or elaborate as I'm just going to use bomber seats and would like to keep it very simple, but not a hack job either.

I really don't want to do the traditional style interior with the big fat roll around the edge of the body. I would like to keep the fiberglass lip and upholster up to the underside of that lip, if that makes any sense... Thanks!

If that is the seats you have now, I see nothing wrong with them. Fiberglass over the foam sides for strength and then apply upholstery to the sides with the same material and it will look great!

If that is the seats you have now, I see nothing wrong with them. Fiberglass over the foam sides for strength and then apply upholstery to the sides with the same material and it will look great!
Yes, I planned on using the seats as they are. I wanted to use similar material for the inside also by gluing foam rubber to the sides then gluing the upholstery to that. The body is very thick and rigid, so I don't think I need to do any more fiberglass work to it....

Have you given any thought as to how you'll finish the top part of the pleated sides? I'm sure that you wouldn't want a "raw" of the upholstery showing.

Jim

Have you given any thought as to how you'll finish the top part of the pleated sides? I'm sure that you wouldn't want a "raw" of the upholstery showing.

Jim
I thought about that and then my brain began to hurt, ha ha ha. Seriously, I thought I might finish the edge with welting or something and tuck the edge under the body lip, so you wouldn't be able to see it unless you really looked under there. Then I was going to get some of that rubber or vinyl door edge molding to finish the edge of the fiberglass lip. Of course, as I said I'm open to suggestions. I'm sure almost anything will be better than what I have planned, lol.

If you get a chance......go to Austin Hardware online. Look in the TRIM section. They have a pretty good selection of edge guard. Not the same as door trim you see on car doors. I use it on all raw edges of fiberglass that shows. Good stuff. Fast shipping normally. I just placed an order for door rubber a few minutes ago.
Lee

If you get a chance......go to Austin Hardware online. Look in the TRIM section. They have a pretty good selection of edge guard. Not the same as door trim you see on car doors. I use it on all raw edges of fiberglass that shows. Good stuff. Fast shipping normally. I just placed an order for door rubber a few minutes ago.
Lee
Thank for the tip. I'll check it out.

You up to doing it yourself?

Here is how I finished the top of mine, its only 1/4 foam backed vinyl rolled over itself and fastened behind the side panels, it is not bulky at all and gives a good feel for your arm when driving.

2%20Jun%202013%20017.JPG_595.jpg

As for the pleats, grab some vinyl, foam and a sewing machine and have at it!

That looks great! Food for thought.

That's black paint. I still have to color sand and buff it.

Thanks,

That paint looks great, nice reflections showing.

I wish I had more pics of how I rolled mine down but basically I took a 1 inch piece of 1/8 aluminum. Formed it exactly to the top rail of the body, I then drilled holes every few inches to allow me to screw it down to the top of the body. Once I was satisfied with the fit, and you need to be very careful as it will show as wavy if you get it wrong, I then ran the 1/4 foam backed vinyl set it on the body, then screwed the aluminum strip down, folded the vinyl over the strip and stretched it down until it was smooth along the top and edge, then I fastened it to the side of the body, you could glue it if you wanted depending on what else you are doing to the interior.

Then the lower edges were covered with the door panel.

If you do get some waves, take a steamer and run it over the wrinkles, they should smooth out. That pic was before I took the streamer to mine to fix them.

I think I understand... how did you get that piping along the inside of the top edge. On the outside of that, is that where the 1/8 aluminum is? How did you get the aluminum formed around the curves of the top rail, like from the sides around to the rear?

I know, lots of questions...sorry, lol.

hmm okay let me see:

That top edge is not piping, its the sewing that holds the vinyl to the door panel. If you click in my sig, the last album there are much larger pics of my interior.

As for forming the aluminum, well I used a hammer, vise and a lot of persuasion to bend things, that's why I used aluminum! I ended up with 3 pieces, the back and both sides.

Here is a bigger pic:
http://www.netquickposse.org/photos/index.php?album=bucket3&image=2+Jun+2013+019.JPG

Hey, I saw this photo, and I really like how you did this interior, its sleek and stylish and not overdone, well done. I am looking to do something close to this and this helps get the imagination going. thanks

hmm okay let me see:

That top edge is not piping, its the sewing that holds the vinyl to the door panel. If you click in my sig, the last album there are much larger pics of my interior.

As for forming the aluminum, well I used a hammer, vise and a lot of persuasion to bend things, that's why I used aluminum! I ended up with 3 pieces, the back and both sides.

Here is a bigger pic:
http://www.netquickposse.org/photos/index.php?album=bucket3&image=2 Jun 2013 019.JPG

That is how my current upholstery is set up. I am looking to get rid of the big poofy rim around the top and just have the top of the body painted. I have already decreased the size by 50% several years ago. It looks better but the section across the back makes my back sore after awhile. I'm going to add some support down lower this time around. The biggest thing I don't like about this is over time the upholstery pulls on the staples and you can see them now. It does not make a nice crisp line on the edge of the upholstery.

That is how my current upholstery is set up. I am looking to get rid of the big poofy rim around the top and just have the top of the body painted. I have already decreased the size by 50% several years ago. It looks better but the section across the back makes my back sore after awhile. I'm going to add some support down lower this time around. The biggest thing I don't like about this is over time the upholstery pulls on the staples and you can see them now. It does not make a nice crisp line on the edge of the upholstery.

One reason that your back is sore is that you seem to have no rake angle to your seat back. Check out your every day driver and see what I mean by rake angle or see how I built my seat in the Tech Forums section.

Jim

It looks better but the section across the back makes my back sore after awhile. I'm going to add some support down lower this time around.
Yes, it looks like there's no support for the lower back which puts all the pressure on the upper back where it contacts the top edge. Good idea to add the support at the lower part.

My seats have very low backs, so I'm expecting a similar problem. But time will tell. It's not going to be a long distance cruiser so hopefully it will be a non issue.

Last edited:

That's why I went with the aluminum strip, my first go was with wood and it would bend and get wavy, this one so far has stayed pretty crisp.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back