Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Measurements or plans for a body rack?

Satori

My kit from Spirit could be here as early as next week, so I thought a good project this weekend would be to build a wood rack with casters to set the body on when it comes in.

Of course without a body, I have no idea what dimensions to build it. Does anyone have any guidance or even better, plans to build one? Pictures would help immensely! :lol:

Also curious to see how much the body actually weighs so I can plan for the right number of people to help move it into the garage. Is the body the heaviest component or will the frame be heavier?

just make the two side rails about 25" out to out and about 5' long. I put casters on mine and about 2' high. A T frame is 26" wide.

You can prolly lift the body by yourself although it is bulky. Mine was easy, it had no floor or firewall at first, just stand in the middle and lift. The frame is definently heavier and prolly need two to move it easily.

blownt said:
just make the two side rails about 25" out to out and about 5' long. I put casters on mine and about 2' high. A T frame is 26" wide.

Thanks for the quick reply. So the body just sits on the 2x4 rails?

I built one out of 1" square tubing. it's 54" x 38" ( that was the lenghts i had on hand ). I welded 4 pockets of 1 1/4" tubing to the frame and built another frame to act as a shelf so i could put two bodies on it. sorry...it's kinda burried right now, no pics.

the frame will be heavier than the body. one man can handle the body but it's more fun as a shared experience. you're gonna enjoy that day...i guarantee it. get your wow smile ready!!!

Ron

Just a simple 2x4 frame will be all you need unless you do this often. The body is easy to put on and off until you get things added to it then 2 people are required.
Never thought about it being a fun shared experenice Ron,I'm always begging for someone to help.:razz:
Randall

tbucit057.jpg

i know randall...my cherry picker and i are good friends. i'm always puttin a body up on stands so i can roll the chassis out from under it.

Ron

Cool, thanks for the picture. That helps a lot. So one person can really lift the body? I thought it would at least be awkward enough to require two people. Can two people lift and carry the frame?

And Youngster, I've been practicing my wow smile since I ordered the kit two weeks ago! :D

If the body doesn't have a floor or any wood interior reinforcement (just a shell) it's really pretty light. It's just awkward. Once all of the reinforcing is done and a wood floor is in then you need two men and a small boy to lift it, or a cherry picker.

I had some frame tubing left over and this is what mine looked like. Satori if u were closer you could use mine ARG!!!!

The tubing rails the body is on is 2 by 4 with foam on top. I say make it high enough so you dont have to laydown to work on it, Plus the painter loved it he said it helped a bunch since i had the body painted sep from the frame.

Thanks guys. Rooster, yours looks good too. When you say to use a cherry picker, are there points to attach the chains or do you fashion a harness of some sort?

The body is so light the cherry picker isnt nessessery. Also you will find out the frame or the radius rods will be a problem (to low) in using the cherry picker this is where the wheel barbies come in handy to get that extra clearence (height). Get it barbies- Dollies HAHA

rooster57 said:
The body is so light the cherry picker isnt nessessery. Also you will find out the frame or the radius rods will be a problem (to low) in using the cherry picker this is where the wheel barbies come in handy to get that extra clearence (height). Get it barbies- Dollies HAHA

Wheel barbies! :D

How heavy is the bare frame?

I stood inside mine and could move it outside by balancing it and carring it to the outside sawhorses. But to answer your question about 175-200 lbs

rooster57 said:
I stood inside mine and could move it outside by balancing it and carring it to the outside sawhorses. But to answer your question about 175-200 lbs

:hide:Mine is a little.....heavier. It takes about 4 to move mine. All that extra glass and wood.

he is refering i think to the frame only. I think

Well you only have about 24 ft of 2x3 tubing for a bare frame, not to much.. I used to remember as I shipped plenty of them out. I think less than 100 lbs, RPM should know this off the top of his head.. as far as the body goes, you SHOULD only NEED floors and a firewall, no other wood needed, if it does, it is a bad body... So, do not waste your time and money on reinforsing body side panels, mine all and all my customers never got any other wood added... Floors, bed and body and inside firewall very important as that is what holds your steering column.. :ciao: But it is your's and you do what makes you happy...

I think he is getting the spirit kit so his body has a floor doesnt it ????????

rooster57 said:
I think he is getting the spirit kit so his body has a floor doesnt it ????????

You are correct, it's a Spirit kit so it should have a floor.

You guys have answered my question about the weight of the frame and body, thanks. :ciao:

I was thinking about the old style 1 1/2X3 frames they were lighter, the new larger material is 2"X3" X .188 wall and that weights 5.59 LBS per ft. so 24 ft is 134.16 in weight... or heavier= .250 wall = 7.11 per ft. = 170.64 lbs. :faint:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back