Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Measurements or plans for a body rack?

I guess it's a little tall, but i think it'll work okay.

bodyrack.jpg

Good job but your about 2 foot to tall.You want to be able to access the interior while its on the stand also.What i did with mine so i didnt knock it off the stand is screwed the floor to the 2x4s.Sorry Tbucit responded while i was typing

Tbucit said:
My opinion it is too tall, I used mine not only to paint but also to put the wood on the interior. Unless the pictue skews the height looks like you may have some trouble if you plan to work inside the car. But as I'm sure you found out it is no problem to cur it down.

Randall

I think you're right, I'll probably cut it down to about half the current height.

Rick said:
Good job but your about 2 foot to tall.You want to be able to access the interior while its on the stand also.What i did with mine so i didnt knock it off the stand is screwed the floor to the 2x4s.

I was wondering how I'm going to secure it, I guess that would work just fine.

I built one in the 60's using light gage 3 X 3 angle iron with 4 in castors.. all free material. I was restoring a 19 touring so iI make it big enough for the body to fit and I clamped the sheet metal body down when I made all the wood from a set of plans I bought. For glass bodies I screwed down a sheet of plywood and cut 2 X 4's the same as the frame rails to put in the floor to get the channel fit right. I've bent tubing to fit inside the glass bodies for reinforcement under the instrument panel and for a steering column brace.

if you have trouble with it moving around when you're working on the body, put a piece of plywood on the bottom and load that cinder block on it. another trick is to lay a shop rag around the caster on the floor. i have seen old extension cords used for this too.

Ron

Hey put a piece of plywood as suggested on the bottom and use it for weight for tipping and also storage for supplies you are using on the body at that time.

I would also put a piece of plywood between the legs at the bottom at each end, something about 6" or so high, to keep the stand from racking. When I built mine I built it just like you would frame a house with 2 x 4 stud walls about 12 or so inches high with a 2 x 4 sill plate and placing the studs on about 12" centers. I tied the top together with two layers of 2 x 4s overlapping the joint at the corners, again just like building a frame house. I had a 38 Dodge pickup body that I put on it and the stand was strong as all get out. Of course I am one for over-engineering. I took the casters off of the stand last year but the frame is out behind the garage waiting to be used when I need it

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back