Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Metal Body - Can I make one?

Hey guys,

I'm thinking about building a T bucket and I would love a steel body. I have been looking at fiberglass bodies but would love a metal body.

Can you guys tell me if there is any kind of blue prints that I can follow to make a metal body?

If you have anything that can help me out just let me know and thanks in advance for any help and info.

Making a metal body is doable if you have the room and the tools. unless you have a lot of experience with forming sheet metal it would be very difficult to make it look right.

Buy a used body that is in good shape and you will be way ahead just doing the body work to it. Unless you want to build a steel body to be able to say you did it I can think of no other reason to build it your self. The most cost effective approch would be a glass body. It looks like there are some real deals out there right now.

Hey thanks everyone. My dad is the metal and body guy and I have helped him do a few cars. I wouldnt mind to do it and just say to myself I did it.

Thanks for the ebay link man I wish I had that much cash I would buy it right now. I'm still in my research part of this build and at the end of this coming summer I will start a build. I did find two 383 motors with trans. The guy is asking $350 for the running one and the one that might run $250.

I will ask here and later on I'm going to have a thread asking a lot more questions. Tell me who makes good glass bodies? I have looked at Speedway Motors and they have a car on youtube that they built that is close to the car I want to build. I love the sitting low look with bomber seats.

Thanks everyone and keep the info coming and I will also have a thread later asking more questions. I'm looking and reading the site as much as I can.

check with our forum sponsers, there are bodys on sale NOW at 2 of them.

check with our forum sponsers, there are bodys on sale NOW at 2 of them.

Hey thanks I just looked up RPM a few minutes ago and it seems like a really good price and a good price on the stretched body. I may go with a stretched body when I get the money to do so. I'm not just thinking of myself but if someone wants to buy it later on down the road. Im 5'10" so a regular T should be ok.

I also just got a pm on another board about a frame for sale "perimeter frame" that was welded up and the owner got in with a package deal with other parts and he has no use for it. I have no idea about it or what to look for so I will ask in the frame section of the forum what to be on the look out for and what questions to ask. The guy is asking $200.00 for it and he is an hour away from me.

I also need to look for a rear and I did find a B body rear in my area but not sure if it will work or not and if I can shorten it to make it work its an 8 3/4 rear I belive...need to re-check that.

8 3/4 rears are getting hard to find. if the price is right it mite be a good idea.

8 3/4 rears are getting hard to find. if the price is right it mite be a good idea.

Ok thanks I need to look it up again I was thinking it was around $200 or less.

Tell me will truck rear ends work? I have found a lot of Jeep and Ford (I think Ford) Dana rears as of late. Craigslist in my area seems to be flooded with them.

I have an 2WD S 10 rear in my car as do many other guys. The 2WD versions are the right dimension for a T and they are plentiful and inexpensive.

Jim

Glad to see you made it over!

As for the metal body, there was just an article in Street Rodder about building a metal body. This one was part two, part one was building the buck for the shape. Might be worth checking out. I will see if I can find out the issue that had part one. Was a great article.

Hello.

This is a home made aluminum body. Really, all this car is home made!! Perfect!!

416212_316868695052026_292265714_o.jpg

Keeper thanks man I will look for your reply and try to find those magazines.

Also that is a great looking ride you got there. Wow you did that all by hand? It is amazing to see guys metal work on the forums. I saw a guy building a 70 Superbird and he has made the whole front clip from the fenders, hood, nose and now the wing. You guys are awesome at what you do.

I will look for 2WD rear ends and see what I can come up with. I think everything I have seen are for a 4WD but will double check.

Keep the info coming guys if this frame turns out to be right for me I think I just might start this project sooner or at least have the parts list and some of the parts.

I forgot to add I did look at the sponsers and some really good deals on bodies right and kits. I'm playing this by ear right now and I will see what happens and see if I can't pick up a body or see about building one.

Keeper thanks man I will look for your reply and try to find those magazines.

Also that is a great looking ride you got there. Wow you did that all by hand? It is amazing to see guys metal work on the forums. I saw a guy building a 70 Superbird and he has made the whole front clip from the fenders, hood, nose and now the wing. You guys are awesome at what you do.

I will look for 2WD rear ends and see what I can come up with. I think everything I have seen are for a 4WD but will double check.

Keep the info coming guys if this frame turns out to be right for me I think I just might start this project sooner or at least have the parts list and some of the parts.

This car is from a friend. I used a fiberglass in my car. Success for you!!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back